Stack Pack or Not,,,,?

ctva

Visit site
We are looking at getting a new main for a Jeanneau SO342. Hopefully a loose footed, fully battened cruising sail. At the moment we use a lazy jack with a separate one piece sail cover but I am wondering about a stack pack. There are as far as i can see pros and cons which include ease of storing (only pro I can think of) and then a flappy bag at the boom or the effort of rolling it away (but what about the lazy jacks?)

We have no issues in using our current system two up but wonder if there are other pros or cons that I have not considered as to their use.

Cheers

Chris

ashtead

Visit site
We have had a stack pack on a Bav 34 and current Moody 41AC and really would not have anything else unless we could upgrade to a yacht with a boom furler like an XC45 . The only downside apart from cost might be zipping the bag up but to be honest you can do this when berthed. You don’t say where you are sourcing your new main (Pete S of Lymington would be my choice) but speak to your sailmaker . You should be able to drop the main head to wind into stack pack and then turn back into Chanel entrance and then half zip the end of stack pack if you wish motoring up channel. I see no downside really if you have non in mast or in boom reefing. I guess that you might ask on jeaneau owners website though other owners of your model?

scozzy

Visit site
For me at least it's a total no brainer,1st sail on my 1st boat I dropped main before heading into harbour in triumph and all of a sudden I had sail everywhere and couldn't see a thing,less triumph more panic as I struggled to deal with it in a bouncy swell..All my pals just dropped theirs into their stack packs,guided effortlessly by the lazy Jack's attached and we laughed over a beer once i made it in! ..that was the 1st and last time I've not had both,so many situs it's just...well...far easier and the ,get the position of lazy jacks right and barring the odd snag raising the main in a blow it's all good and easily zipped up on the mooring

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Make sure you cover the clew; I've seen them rotted off by UV.

I like lazyjacks, but I had a stack pack and didn't like the mess or that I could not pull the lazyjacks forward.

To each his own. Typically people that have a thing like it, which is why they have it. Same for the converse. I think most people don't like them, but you would have to ask people who don't have them.;)