ST60 Wind Instrument

mcanderson

Visit site
My ST60 wind indicator today worked fine, but then showed --.- for speed and the wind direction parked itself at 12 o'clock. Power was still getting through, as you can tell for the working LCD display. So tomorrow will be checking the masthead transmitter wires have a good connection.

Any other tips?

One day I will have a whole 24 period when all my electronics work as advertised.

noelex

Visit site
Raymarine website has lots of information on troubleshooting the ST60 wind. Following the guidelines with some simple checks and a multimeter you should be able to determine where the fault lies.

TonyMills

Visit site
Hi, I've had similar problems with my ST60+, direction pointer sticking at certain points of sail, not going all the way round the dial when circling, etc.. I had the unit tested by the supplier/installer but could not find any faults. The issue came down to poor wiring, the controls wiring from the previous unit were re-used through the cabin and involved several faulty connections, including those directly into the unit. I've re-wired and improved the connections and it now works fine. I suggest you check the connections very carefully.

I took the head unit off the mast and built a test harness ( you may be able to borrow one from your supplier) and it proved the operation of both units. The ST60 is very sensitive to poor connections/wiring.

Regards
TonyM

mcanderson

Visit site
Thanks

And today everything worked like a treat, so I didn't touch a thing. Thanks for the help, I now have the Raymarine FAQ page book marked on my Iphone and have checked the cable run. Being a Beneteau the run was fine and no snags.

Ready for the next thing to go wrong.

pelissima

Visit site
ST60 wind

On my First 38 had same sumptom. I discovered it went off while motoring or the charger is on. That is anything above 13 something volts turns it off. I learned to live with this installing in the cockpit an On-Off switch to bring the ST60 back to life after turning the engine off.

Billjratt

Visit site
thread resurrection

My ST60 has exactly the same symptoms as the OP,(--.-- and 12 o'clock). However, the voltages measured at the back of the unit are good and obviously hunting around a bit as the wind fluctuates.
Keypad operation seems erratic, so a full calibration/reset may or may not have completed. The multi display downstairs is not getting fed any wind info as it doesn't appear on the scroll.(other info is correct) The unit is clean and dry inside.
I will scope the cables tomorrow just to make sure there is no spikey noise.
I am having difficulty locating a replacement unit online, and it seems I should replace with st60+, which, of course, won't match the existing units.
Anyone found an actual fault associated with these symptoms and cured it?
Anyone help with sourcing a new/working instrument?
I'm also having difficulty finding info on the Raymarine site.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Billjratt

Visit site
Just had words with the local engineer.
Evidently the ST60+ which is the only available replacement for my ST60 will take the bezel from my original instrument, so matching won't be a problem. (just cost!)

mcanderson

Visit site
In the end mine started working normally again and hasn't repeated the fault. Don't dispair and try the microsoft reset. On/Off a few times.

Now if anyone knows how to bring a Raymarine Rudder Reference Unit back to life, then I would be impressed...

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I had endless problems with the ST60 MHU and in the end changed it for a recon unit. I'm not convinced by the usefulness of these instruments any way - I find that a length of wool on the shrouds performs just as well, is cheap and reliable. Although it's nice to have confirmation of the wind strength, you can soon judge the wind and when it's time to reef (generally when your mast becomes horizontal!) It's pretty obvious where the winds coming from anyway. I wouldn't bother fitting a replacement.

Billjratt

Visit site
Thanks both.
I've got the thing in the shed at the moment and it doesn't want to follow the menu trees, or at least alter the settings, so I guess the reset is what's required.
Being an ex-IBMer, I call it "the Greenock reset" but the process is the same -unless you know of any keys that should be held before power-on?
I scoped the signals from the masthead unit and they are clean and as described elsewhere on this site.
As to dumping the thing, we have a motor-sailer and can't feel the wind, so the information the ST gives is important to us.(plus I just spent the winter carving it a place of honour in the wheelhouse)