St Malo restaurant.

Allan

Visit site
We are hoping to be in Saint Malo for a special birthday. I want to take the skipper for a meal. Has anyone had a really good meal somewhere special?
Allan

lustyd

Visit site
Restaurant La Corderie would be my recommendation. Stunning food, stunning view. Not "in St Malo" but around the corner an easy walk from the marina. Here's the view from their terrace, make sure to book ahead
IMG_7265.jpg

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
As a club we went to Le Chateaubriand a few years ago. This was a fairly grand brasserie that we enjoyed at the time, not far from the gate from the dock.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You could try Fidelis, it's near the ramparts I'm afraid you would need to look it up I had a good meal there this year.

lustyd

Visit site
Went there a couple of years ago, it was very basic but pleasant not really in the class of a special meal.
That's fair, it would certainly depend on what you consider special. The food and service were excellent, and the view extraordinary. Nowhere else we found in St Malo came close for location or ambience.
It wasn't overly expensive, nor was it well presented by many standards, but it was by far the most special meal out we had in the area. Everywhere else were just ordinary restaurants, mostly within the walls and as such all had terrible locations and views :)
IMG_7269.jpgIMG_7271.jpgIMG_7270.jpgIMG_2877.jpg

Frogmogman

Visit site
We are hoping to be in Saint Malo for a special birthday. I want to take the skipper for a meal. Has anyone had a really good meal somewhere special?
Allan

Le Cambusier is fabulous, great value for money. The patron Olivier Hubert is a top chef. His menu is short, with great attention to detail. Don’t miss out on dessert - his are first class. Decent and sensibly priced wine list.

Restaurant Le cambusier - Le Cambusier Restaurant à Saint Malo

If you want crepes, this place is great, definitely a cut above the average crêperie.

Le Comptoir Breizh Café — Breizh Café

If you’re looking for somewhere for breakfast, the Cafe de L’Ouest does the best croissants I’ve ever tasted, and I’ve lived in France for 36 years.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
On our first trip to St Malo we went looking for somewhere to eat. We walked past a row of small restaurants and chose one with a suitable menu, partly because the tables were laid nicely with smart crockery. We sat down at the window and Madame came for our order and in the process removed the fancy chinaware and came back with plain white plates. The meal was unmemorable.

wonkywinch

Visit site

st599

Visit site
Wander round to St Servan from the big marina, a few lovely restaurants with nice views over the bay at sunset.

ashtead

Visit site
Should you want brunch the Cargo Culte has an entertaining owner -it’s s mall place but our favourite venue sitting outside and watching world go by. It does get busy so arrive early though. The food is all very good and well priced.

Allan

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies so far. I'll be doing some more research and will report back. Any more thoughts would be gratefully received.
Allan

doug748

Visit site
Now for something completely different. I like this place at the back of Tour Solidor, reminds me of British pubs of yore, full to the brim with red faced people and dodgy furniture. Feels like you could get your throat cut but I doubt it.

1726042285313.png

Food is cheap and cheerful - nobody photographs it.

Allan

Visit site
The final choice was Le Cambusier. Fabulous meal, great wine, perfect service (not pushy but always looking around as they walked around the restaurant) and very nice ambience. The final price was 131Euro. I felt that was very good value for money considering the quality of everything!
Many thanks again for all of the recommendations.
Allan

Allan

Visit site
Update, we also tried the Bouche en Folie, which was very good. The food lacked the finesse and attention to detail that Le Cambusier had.
Many thanks again.
Allan

ashtead

Visit site
The final choice was Le Cambusier. Fabulous meal, great wine, perfect service (not pushy but always looking around as they walked around the restaurant) and very nice ambience. The final price was 131Euro. I felt that was very good value for money considering the quality of everything!
Many thanks again for all of the recommendations.
Allan
Per person? They clearly have good wines 🤣