SSR numbers

sarabande

Visit site
No, but the people who engraved the plate for the last time I did a registration knew very well about the minimum size and would'nt make it 1/2 inch smaller to fit on a coaming.

Zephyr362

Visit site
The size is included on the certificate, I have asked my friendly contact within the SSR (my wife) for the actual size and will let you know Andy

prv

Visit site
I have asked my friendly contact within the SSR (my wife) for the actual size and will let you know Andy

I think he knows what the size should be.

It sounds like he's planning to make them slightly smaller, perhaps to fit in a particular place, and wants to know whether anyone will ever check.

For what it's worth, I've never heard of anyone having their numbers measured.

Pete

Csail

N/A
Visit site
I think he knows what the size should be.

It sounds like he's planning to make them slightly smaller, perhaps to fit in a particular place, and wants to know whether anyone will ever check.

For what it's worth, I've never heard of anyone having their numbers measured.

Pete

Exactly, i know the regs. as i do them every week but some customers do ask for different font and size. Can't imagine getting done for it.

Zephyr362

Visit site
SSR numbers should be no smaller than 30mm high and 20mm wide (except no 1) in a contrasting colour to the background. That's the official line and that's what the original question was about!

prv

Visit site
That's the official line and that's what the original question was about!

No it wasn't!

The question was whether any nosey official actually goes round with a ruler measuring them, as CSail confirmed right after my post. He knows what the official size requirement is, probably better than any of us, since he makes a living by supplying numbers in those sizes.

Any of us can misread a question first time round, but to continue to insist on the wrong interpretation once it's pointed out and then confirmed by the original author, seems remarkably obtuse.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Can't imagine getting done for it.

Agreed - even if anyone ever did check it seems likely they'd just tell the owner to install the proper size. And if some jobsworth who'd got out of bed the wrong side, had an argument with his wife, and had a huge tax demand that morning did decide to do something about it, surely they'd be going after the boatowner rather than the person that supplied the numbers? As long as you warn people that the smaller numbers they've insisted on aren't strictly legal, I'd have thought you'd be well clear.

Pete

Zephyr362

Visit site
Sorry PRV, I stand corrected you are right, I should have read the original post again!
Actually my mail went out as Andy was clarifying the question, so no, I wasn't being obtuse intentionally
However, if Andy was using the wrong size letters on his boat he might have an issue as I know where his boat is!

Tom Price

N/A
Visit site
[QUOTE=prv:
"Any of us can misread a question first time round, but to continue to insist on the wrong interpretation once it's pointed out and then confirmed by the original author, seems remarkably obtuse."

Welcome to the forum!