ABC for visiting France - Advice please.

stranded

Visit site
For entry to France (as opposed to departure from UK) things have got easier than last year. Many additional effective points of entry, but you are required to email in advance your arrival using a specific form abtainable from that port (or group of ports).

The following are extracts from a recent news article, which in turn came from the Cruising Association press release.

Note that further ports could be added later than May 31st 2024. (Curiously, Boulogne is absent from the list but appears to be indicated on the map as an official PFF point of entry.)

French officials have announced a new ‘protocol’ for small boats to enter France from outside of the EU.
View attachment 179307
List of Ports
This list details all the ports which are included in the new protocol (as at 31 May 2024). Some of these are also existing PPFs:
View attachment 179308

'The Cruising Association (CA) has welcomed the easier check in/out protocol for cruising to France.

Previously, boats would have to arrive at and depart from a port of entry (PPF), although last year [i.e. 2023] there were a few ports with a special derogation, which allowed entry for a limited period.

The new protocol applies from 1 June 2024 and grants 53 marinas (which are not PPFs) the right to handle boats arriving from or departing to outside of the EU/Schengen area. Below is the list of PPFs and other marinas/ports for Channel France.

Skippers of these boats will need to email a specific completed form to the relevant port in advance of arrival or departure. These forms will then be processed by local officials.The CA anticipates that the stamped papers may be picked up on arrival or emailed in the case of departure.'
Just to add to this, more for others than the OP - I think there are already more ports that do this than are on the list - Bénodet certainly did for a boat rafted against us last week, and Port Louis had a (small) pile of completed pre-avis forms on the desk when we looked in yesterday - that’s 2 out of 2 ports that we have stopped at since Camaret. So worth checking with the capitainerie in case your preferred destination is not on the formal list.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Just to add to this, more for others than the OP - I think there are already more ports that do this than are on the list - Bénodet certainly did for a boat rafted against us last week, and Port Louis had a (small) pile of completed pre-avis forms on the desk when we looked in yesterday - that’s 2 out of 2 ports that we have stopped at since Camaret. So worth checking with the capitainerie in case your preferred destination is not on the formal list.

Port St. Louis is on the Douane's list I linked in post #19 (and copy below), but I think from the outset of the scheme it was envisioned that further ports would be added over time.

1719924708544.png

stranded

Visit site
Port St. Louis is on the Douane's list I linked in post #19 (and copy below), but I think from the outset of the scheme it was envisioned that further ports would be added over time.

View attachment 179397
Ah - this is a different Port Louis - opposite Lorient. Although tbh a 10 minute ferry ride and 3 minute walk from the marina gets you to the Lorient douanes office which is perhaps more reliable.

Sandydog2

Visit site
Technically it must have been issued 9 years 9 month before the trip because you need 3 months left and they don’t consider passports valid after 10 years regardless of the expiry date. That’s not just EU that’s pretty much global and now includes UK who stopped extending the expiry quite a while ago.
This keeps on coming up every few months on here. It is incorrect. What Gustywinds posted is exactly right.

lustyd

Visit site
This keeps on coming up every few months on here. It is incorrect. What Gustywinds posted is exactly right.
No it's not. In order to enter Europe you must have a passport valid for at least 3 months from time of entry. They don't consider passports over 10 years to be valid regardless of expiry date, therefore when entering the EU your passport cannot be older than 9 years 9 months, otherwise you wouldn't have 3 months left.

If you want to get pernickety with border officials and hope their view of the rules match yours then go ahead, but it's seldom a good plan and much easier to just take the easy route and get a new passport. It won't affect their day at all, but it could spoil your trip.

Sandydog2

Visit site
No it's not. In order to enter Europe you must have a passport valid for at least 3 months from time of entry. They don't consider passports over 10 years to be valid regardless of expiry date, therefore when entering the EU your passport cannot be older than 9 years 9 months, otherwise you wouldn't have 3 months left.

If you want to get pernickety with border officials and hope their view of the rules match yours then go ahead, but it's seldom a good plan and much easier to just take the easy route and get a new passport. It won't affect their day at all, but it could spoil your trip.
It is not my 'view of the rules', it is the rules. There was a lot of misinformation around a few years ago, including on the UK government website but it has all been clarified long ago. The rule about the passport being issued less than ten years before the date of entry to Schengen is independent of the rule about the validity having at least 3 months at the time of exit. It's clear on individual government websites and is exactly what Gustywinds posted. This article is a good explanation Simon Calder travel advice: When to renew your passport before visiting Europe

lustyd

Visit site
it is the rules
Good luck with that attitude at border control. There are the rules as written and there are the rules the border officer enforces on the day. If you're turned away you're turned away and there's very little you can do to change that, especially if you start an argument with the person enforcing the rules.

Sandydog2

Visit site
Good luck with that attitude at border control. There are the rules as written and there are the rules the border officer enforces on the day. If you're turned away you're turned away and there's very little you can do to change that, especially if you start an argument with the person enforcing the rules.
That's ridiculous. The border officer simply enforces the rules for that country. This rule is clearly set out and very easy to understand. If you really believe border officers might invent a completely different set of rules and try to enforce them you would hardly dare travel. It's true that people are still being refused travel because they do not understand the rules about their extended passports. No-one is being refused travel because the border official doesn't understand. You are just adding to the misinformation. I goes you didn't read the article I linked or look at any government websites.

lustyd

Visit site
The border officer simply enforces the rules for that country
No, the border officer enforces what they believe to be the rules. Being right and being allowed in aren't always the same, and there are many, many threads on the forum discussing issues at borders where officials have enforced things that aren't the rules or the law. Some have had legal battles to avoid paying VAT on VAT paid boats, for instance.

You're absolutely free to explain your position to the border official, but they are free to refuse entry and then go about their day while you sulk on your boat and sail home.

Sometimes it's better to just be proactive and helpful.

Sandydog2

Visit site
No, the border officer enforces what they believe to be the rules. Being right and being allowed in aren't always the same, and there are many, many threads on the forum discussing issues at borders where officials have enforced things that aren't the rules or the law. Some have had legal battles to avoid paying VAT on VAT paid boats, for instance.

You're absolutely free to explain your position to the border official, but they are free to refuse entry and then go about their day while you sulk on your boat and sail home.

Sometimes it's better to just be proactive and helpful.
Fine. It would still be helpful if people stopped posting misinformation. You didn't start by warning people that a border official might make a mistake. You twice stated as fact some completely wrong information.

lustyd

Visit site
Depends how you define helpful. The aim here is getting into the country and my advice assures that will happen without problems or discussion. If you're at 10 years the passport needs replacing anyway so you'd have to exceptionally tight to eek out those last few days. That said, the entire problem has been the UK being too tight to renew early, so I guess that is a problem.