SSB or not?

tcm

Visit site
Depends on where you're intending to sail - in European waters it's conspicuous consumption, in N Atlantic waters it's sometimes useful, but for long-distance cruising it's an essential.
When mine was stolen in Malta, I didn't bother to replace it and haven't missed it, or a satphone, since.

Er, you said it was “essential” ... yet not replaced... hence not essential. I’m guessing you haven't sailed transat since the robbery. Otherwise you would replace the sat phone (but not the SSB) ?

edit: commiserations/sympathy on the robbery. B*stards!

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Nah, not true. VHF gets you in touch with everyone really, when you get somewhere/anywhere. SSB is for people who haven’t got a sat phone to call Falmouth MRCC if/when the Big Sh!t hits the Enormous Fan offshore. Best is a sat phone offshore. Second is another spare satphone. I think I would choose a third spare sat phone before SSB. Round the world and13 transats, nobody ever said O pray wot SSB frequency do you use?, never. I sold all my SSB stuff to some doddery Belgian for a grand.

I've used (and enjoyed using) SSB to chat to other boats and to get weather info whilst mid Atlantic and round the Carib. I especially enjoy the fact that once its fitted its free to use as much and as often as you like.

capnsensible

Visit site
Earlier this year, in the middle of the Pacific, I was able to get as much weather information as Michael Fish, get up to date football scores and email home as much as I wanted with almost instant response (time zone qualified). All via cheap Iridium. Dont even need an iridium phone, use the app.

SSB is on the path of the dinosaur......

MBullock

Visit site
SSB-DSC and SSB are a part of the GMDSS - Sat Phone's aren't, neither are EPIRB's for that matter. Just a consideration that hasn't been mentioned.

Prasutigus

Visit site
SSB-DSC and SSB are a part of the GMDSS - Sat Phone's aren't, neither are EPIRB's for that matter. Just a consideration that hasn't been mentioned.

Greetings, I recognise your point entirely. but might I politely ask, what affect does being part of GMDSS, or not, have on
1) Chit-Chat
2) Distress

thanks if you could unpack it for us a bit!

Prasutigus

Visit site
Earlier this year, in the middle of the Pacific, I was able to get as much weather information as Michael Fish, get up to date football scores and email home as much as I wanted with almost instant response (time zone qualified). All via cheap Iridium. Dont even need an iridium phone, use the app.

SSB is on the path of the dinosaur......

Pardon? "Just use the App" ? ¿Qué?

How does that work please? If you have time to explain or suggest a link?

MBullock

Visit site
Chit Chat = nothing
Distress = it's an internationally recognised form of requesting assistance at sea, in all but the most extreme sea areas. A SatPhone will obviously allow one to contact a single MRCC (e.g. Falmouth), but a MF-DSC distress call may alert a vessel within your vicinity of your need for help and allow you to talk to them directly. Similarly, a HF distress call may do the same.

Not a slight on Sat Phones, just pointing out a fact that hadn't been mentioned and that seems to be overlooked in these type of conversations.

My opinion - If I could justify it I'd have Iridium Go! for ease of use and connectivity to my favourite weather app on IOS, and SSB for backup, and vessel to vessel comms, plus distress. Having to choose one, I chose SSB with Pactor.

cheers,

capnsensible

Visit site
Pardon? "Just use the App" ? ¿Qué?

How does that work please? If you have time to explain or suggest a link?

We had an Iridium TX RX device. I put the Iridium Go app on my ipad and robert is yer fathers sibling!

A simple sport tracker device gives you a press a button distress call. Also, the tracker we used (cant remember name) had a not dead yet button that you refreshed periodically.

capnsensible

Visit site
The technology at reasonable cost is out there. Using SSB these days is a bit like staying with land TV and its ariel compared to the zillions of much newer and better ways of doing it.

Yngmar

Visit site

RobbieW

Visit site
In contrast with other replies here, if I were fitting out for extensive Pacific cruising I would be considering SSB/DSC above a satphone on the list of safety equipment. I would probably look at Iridium Go for data services but if money was tight using Sailmail/Airmail for email, gribs and weather faxes still works and can be easily integrated into OpenCPN for overlays with charts and routing.

The why for that statement is based on Australia Sailing's continuing requirment for HF in thier SIs for offshore racing from 2017-2021. Those SIs are generally adopted throughout the region by long distance race sponsors as best practice. It may be that satphone will supercede HF at a future point but that point is some way off yet, for more rationale see http://www.bruneibay.net/bbradio/bbrmarinecomms.htm - although that article was written in 2012 much of the base advice remains current.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

to be fair, Inmarsat plays indeed a big role in gmdss, though Inmarsat satellite phones like Isatphone are not gmdss, they are unofficial, private communication means like Iridium satellite phones and the like.

dslittle

Visit site
A simple sport tracker device gives you a press a button distress call. Also, the tracker we used (cant remember name) had a not dead yet button that you refreshed periodically.

SPOT - well that is the one that I've got that does that. All for he princely sum of €99 pa

Heckler

Visit site
He's disabled his account. He can re-enable it any time he wants.

All because he forgot himself and used the 'f' word and got a post deleted... Get a life is one expression that comes to mind.

You may not like this John but the F word is now mainstream. Ive no doubt you are well versed in the use of given your previous job. The BBC now allow its use non stop, see Peaky Blinders for a good example. They, the BBC, are not averse to using the C word as well. Its use, the F word, in context is now well established. To use the words get a life? Hmm.
Stu

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
You may not like this John but the F word is now mainstream. Ive no doubt you are well versed in the use of given your previous job. The BBC now allow its use non stop, see Peaky Blinders for a good example. They, the BBC, are not averse to using the C word as well. Its use, the F word, in context is now well established. To use the words get a life? Hmm.
Stu

It’s got nothing to do with whether I like it or not. As it happens I can agree with lots of what you say, except you are confusing my opinion with editorial opinion. The t’s and c’s and guidance on language from Time Inc say no f’s or c’s and Admin and mods apply the rules. I don’t make the rules, I just try and keep the place going by helping keep order and stopping Spam attacks etc.

The ‘get a life bit’ is not over the language (I don’t care either way about it) but over flouncing because of having a post deleted. It’s one post for goodness sake. If you or tcm or anyone is so upset over the editor’s decisions and editorial policy over language on the forums then write to her and lobby Time Inc.

Good luck with that.

Flica

Visit site
Er, you said it was “essential” ... yet not replaced... hence not essential. I’m guessing you haven't sailed transat since the robbery. Otherwise you would replace the sat phone (but not the SSB) ?

edit: commiserations/sympathy on the robbery. B*stards!

Quite right, I'm only sailing in European waters so an SSB is an inessential. However in Pacific waters many SSB nets are the glue that holds the cruising fraternity together.
However if you're a misanthrope (which I'm certain you ain't) an SSB is to be avoided; if not it's really valuable, but, I'd agree much crankier and requiring more "uckle" to use.