Spray on wax for GRP hull

Meps1983

Visit site
Today I gave the boat a machine polish which turned out pretty nice for a first timer! But as we are all aware this is very time consuming and pretty physical, especially on the water. I'm not really up for going around again with the machine applying wax or by hand for that matter. Which made me wonder if the spray on wax is any good or does it still require buffing off etc? There's so many different products out there so what's your preference, if any? Thanks. Ben

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
following with interest - I would have imagined all wax's will require the Mr Miyagi approach of buffing
Some require substantial amounts of elbow grease some and I am thinking of the automotive industry products just require a very light buff / wipe and leave a protective coating that will last a season.

Meps1983

Visit site
Ive seen quite a few of the ceramic type coatings online, but wasn't sure if they would work with grp (the auto ones). A spray and a light wipe I can deal with but not full on Mr Mayagi all over again. I've only done the blue stripe on the starboard side and I'm busted tonight!
I use the 303 protector on my vinyl seats Slipstream, so might be a good shout. The turtle wax ceramic products keep popping up on goggle searches also.....decisions decisions!!

johnalison

Visit site
For the last few years I have got into the habit of using a second cloth to wipe excess wax off as soon as I have applied it. The makes the next, polishing, stage much easier and it takes a fraction of the time. I bought a polisher but have hardly used it as I find it much easier to do it by hand, for a 34-footer.

Meps1983

Visit site
Is that method using a traditional wax johnalison, or one of the 'spray on' types that I was originally enquiring about? I'm quite comfortable using a polisher in my everyday worklife (grainite/quartz fabricator) but sat on the edge of a pontoon polishing a moving target is far more testing imo! Maybe the good old manual polishing is easier. I'm only a 28ft so quite a bit less to do

johnalison

Visit site
Is that method using a traditional wax johnalison, or one of the 'spray on' types that I was originally enquiring about? I'm quite comfortable using a polisher in my everyday worklife (grainite/quartz fabricator) but sat on the edge of a pontoon polishing a moving target is far more testing imo! Maybe the good old manual polishing is easier. I'm only a 28ft so quite a bit less to do
Yes, traditional wax. For a long time I have used ‘solid’ wax largely because there is no risk of spilling it but this seems to be hard to find in chandlers lately. I don’t find much difference between brands and choose any packaged as I want. I much prefer to wax my hull when ashore, but failing that, I have occasionally done it from a rubber dinghy. I think a pontoon would be very awkward for me, even with knee pads.

Refueler

Visit site
Trying to avoid the burnishing part ?? For me - its wash with Oxalic ... then go over with detergent mix ... then a light dose of TCut .. wash with Car Wash with added Wax ...

May not last the season ... but it works to a degree.

I see guys with Marine waxes and burnishing gear etc ... months down the road - they seem to not look any better than mine !!

johnalison

Visit site
Trying to avoid the burnishing part ?? For me - its wash with Oxalic ... then go over with detergent mix ... then a light dose of TCut .. wash with Car Wash with added Wax ...

May not last the season ... but it works to a degree.

I see guys with Marine waxes and burnishing gear etc ... months down the road - they seem to not look any better than mine !!
I think the job needed depends on the boat. My blue line needs cutting and polishing annually to retain its colour, but the rest of the hull only needs a coat of wax even after 24 years. The upper parts, such as coachroof and cockpit tend to get somewhat dirty through the winter and I use a strong detergent cleaner and then a wax polish, with a colour-restorer polish for the worst affected areas. I agree that an intensive job with mechanical help shouldn't be a necessity except for restoration.