Splicing thin braided line

Poignard

Visit site
My Monotor windvane has to have an small diameter endless line around the large pulley wheel to adjust the course relative to the wind.

I couldn't find any way to splice it when I installed the windvane so, as a temporary measure, I overlapped the ends and stitched them together. It is still in use.

If I was doing it again I would cut back the inner core on one end by an inch or so and cut back the outer braid for an equal amount on the other end. Then insert the one into the other and stitch it up.

Refueler

Visit site
In theory you can splice it .... by dividing not only the core from outer braid - but the parallel core strands as well. But its not secure.

The post #3 advising to sew is better ....

My usual way with such is to sew it together and then run the thread round creating a neat whipping over top.

lw395

Visit site
Practically, is anything splicable at 3mm diameter?
Yes, there is a lot of 3mm and even 2mm spectra about which is just a 12 stranded braid. That splices very well.

4mm Excel racing or whatever it's called this week is a braided cover over a braided dyneema core and can be spliced very well, I have it in continuous loop controls on the dinghy.

Upnorth

Visit site
This is instructions for parallel core splice, dont know if it works on your rope
Sta-Set X/PCR Splice - New England Ropes

Thanks for that. The nearest link to cope with the line I have. I think the statements about 'it maybe impossible to bury the cover' will probably be the big issue. As in the other helpful suggestions, I think will go down the stitching/seizing route.
Thanks again everyone for your responses.