Splicing rope to chain

Medskipper

Visit site
I can do a pretty good spliced loop or around a thimble but I have never spliced anchor chain to rope in line yet! I have books on splicing and knots etc but I can't see anywhere how to splice chain to rope. I can't use a loop and thimble because it would be just to big to come up through the deck from the anchor locker. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any one know how its done? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Best regards

Barry

bluesjunior

Visit site
When you splice rope to chain you must have a swivel attached to the chain otherwise your rope will eventually unfurl. Unwind the three strands of the rope enough to splice and put the middle strand through the eye of the swivel from top to bottom then put the other two strands through from bottom to top with one on either side of the single strand.

Pull all three strands tight on the eye of the swivel and then holding it tightly together splice it as normal ie one over, one under for at least three complete tucks and a taper.

bluesjunior

Visit site
Another good tip for splicing is, if your rope is made of a nylon/polypropeline type material use a lighter or candle to melt the tails together if it is a non meltable rope then use elecrical tape to bind the ends, This will keep it all together and give you a neater splice.

If you decide to melt it remember to use thick gloves when melting as it can stick to your skin and give a nasty burn otherwise.

Medskipper

Visit site
I don't think I can do it that way! if I am reading your idea correctly, what you are saying is splice an eye onto a swivel?

No Iv'e seen rope spliced in line up through the links of a chain before! At a guess it goes up the chain and back down. But the result is its all in line and will pass over your gypsy with no problem at all! No thimbles, swivels or shackels. I just don't know how its done!

Barry

landaftaf

Visit site
I would suggest you use a link connector between the chain and the rope, which should have a hard eye at the end. the connector will probably be larger than your chain link if your links are small, but no problems there ........

this has the advantage of being able to split the chain/rope whenever you need to as well as not loosing any strength in the system. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bluesjunior

Visit site
If you are splicing a rope to an anchor chain you must have a swivel either at the anchor end or at the rope end. If you don't then eventually your rope will be destroyed. The turns in your rope must have a way to unwind.

The splice I described is not an eye splice. I think the proper name is a back splice but being so many years since I learned it I cannot remember the name, but it is the proper splice for coming through a block and tackle, roller or gypsy as it does not increase the width. You can put it directly on to the chain link if you wish.

landaftaf

Visit site
long splice - but to my knowledge you cant use a long splice on a ferrule very sucessfully.
when you consider the diameter of the hard eye the splice thickness doesnt make any difference.

I think you are getting too technical ...... when the weight comes on the rope it wil have a tendancy to twist the rope due to the lay, but as the length of rope deployed should be quite a lot, it should not deform the rope unduly unless massive strain has been put on it, and remains on it as it is recovered ...........

however as you say - a swivel would allow the rope to reform when the weight comes off during recovey.

bluesjunior

Visit site
A long splice is what you use to splice two ropes together. I was a deepsea fisherman for almost thirty years. The splice I have described is the splice a fisherman would put on the split shackles used to join two coils of rope together so that they could quickly be shortened if the neccessity arose.

It will go on any link, shackle, ferrule or any sort of loop which the rope can go through. One tail coming out one side and back on its self,two tails coming out the other side and going back on their selves. You then splice it normally in the one over,one under manner for three complete tucks on each tail. Then splice a taper by leaving the first tail, put the second tail over and under once more and the third tail over and under twice more. If you have done it correctly you should now have all three tails in a tapering line on the same side of the rope. This will lead the rope and chain into your pulley without jamming. the splice will be no thicker than the link,

landaftaf

Visit site
to be honest I dont think I have come accross one of those before ..... will do some research

isnt there a hard eye incorporated though - to stop chaffing

bluesjunior

Visit site
Thats the one Tommyrot although my way of tapering is easier and not so convoluted.

When you have put your first tuck through you should tighten it all up as much as you can before you continue. If it is nice and tight it will reduce the risk of wear. Though in saying that it will need resplicing at some stage.

By the way that is a nice link you provided.

Superflid

Visit site
I was pulling it all tight as I went so hopefully things should be ok. Splicing is a new skill to me so I'll be keeping an eye on it. Your method sounds simpler, that usually means more reliable.......
Some useful info on there, I'll be practicing some splicing when I get some spare time. Does feel satisfying when it ends up looking right.

VicS

Visit site
It would not have occurred to me that you could splice 3 strand to chain. 8 plait yes.

In a bit more detail than the Jimmy green instructions but similar to Bluemoment's here are the instructions from an old Marlow Ropes leaflet. No worries about 8 plait untwisting.
BTW a hot air gun is good for heat sealing rope ends, a low setting for polyprop but a higher one for nylon and polyester. It does not burn the ends like a flame does.
ef50a34d.jpg

bigwow

Visit site
I tried this splice many years ago. SWNBO said it looked a mess, she has been splicing all my warps and ropes ever since, makes a fabulous job of them, must be a moral there. It worked with the wallpapering 35 yrs ago as well!