Speedseal ceased trading

sarabande

Visit site
I am sure there is a steady market for a successor to Speedseal, but likely to be a limited one unless the improved design can become the standard for marina and DIY replacement. A problem might be the wide variety of pump faces needed, entailing multiple-sizes of low-volume production runs.

FWIW As impellers are mission-critical, I would be prepared to buy an item at a premium cost.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
As a confirmed Speedseal user any attempt to resurect the kit will be very welcome.
I was always surprised by the fine/tolerance of the ‘O’ ring but always assumed there was a basic reason for this tolerance.

Hadenough

Visit site
I wanted to send a PM to Flaming about this, but I have hardly if at all posted anything so am not allowed to PM. I am a retired design engineer and I might be interested in working with a manufacturing company to produce a new version of the device. The tolerances required for the O ring groove are very tight because of the limited space. I have some ideas for improvements to the design. If Flaming or others are interested PM me or email at jh.francis@btinternet.com John
Did anything come of this? Just discovered that I need a new Speedseal cover plate. The centre “spindle” has worn badly.
EA2F9958-89BD-4BB4-96DD-C4FE6E7EA1D5.jpeg

Ianqv

Visit site
Another option from getting another cover plate made is to mill out the center pin. Then lathe 2 Delrin washers to take its place. My concern is how the Delrin washers may wear on the outer edge? I have the Deltin rod, so it maybe worth a try. The worst case scenario is that I have to put me old cover plate back on, or I have to periodically change the Delrin washers.

The Delrin rod was as cheap as chips: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282056282571?var=581003090559
I would get a "number" of washers out of this.

Cowbridge09

Visit site
I have done a 3D design for a new version of the cover and internal washers but have not yet had the prototypes manufactured. It is quite difficult to obtain the correct bronze alloy in the sheet form in the right thickness. I am hoping that in the next few months I will have a prototype version available for the pumps fitted to VP 2030 engines. I am not that familiar with all the different types of pumps fitted to other engines and would need to determine the dimensions for those pumps. My design has the centre pin and two washers but the dimensions will be slightly different.

mikegunn

Visit site
Did anything come of this? Just discovered that I need a new Speedseal cover plate. The centre “spindle” has worn badly.
View attachment 135840
I modified raw water pumps on a twin engine installation (catamaran). Both Speedseals eventually wore to a far greater extent than that depicted. I also suffered a couple of impeller vane failures which the Speedseal was supposed to prevent. Eventually I reverted to the original OEM’s configuration. This led me to the opinion that that the Speedseal was an over-complex solution to a problem that never really existed in the first place, all the time flying in the face of the KISS principal. If it really was any good I’m sure that the pump OEM’s would have adopted it.

Mike

Plum

Visit site
I modified raw water pumps on a twin engine installation (catamaran). Both Speedseals eventually wore to a far greater extent than that depicted. I also suffered a couple of impeller vane failures which the Speedseal was supposed to prevent. Eventually I reverted to the original OEM’s configuration. This led me to the opinion that that the Speedseal was an over-complex solution to a problem that never really existed in the first place, all the time flying in the face of the KISS principal. If it really was any good I’m sure that the pump OEM’s would have adopted it.

Mike
Agree. The replacement of a paper gasket with an O-ring, a feature of the original "Speedseal", certainly makes maintenance easier but I agree that in over 35 years of inboard engines with Jabsco or Johnson seawater pumps I have never had a problem that the "Speedseal Life" design claims to prevent.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

GrahamP

Visit site
Be interesting to hear reports of how well these work, one day I will no doubt have to replace my Speedseal.
They have now released a Speedi Pump kit for our Yanmar 3YM30 engine. Ours is on order!

I emailed the company asking if they had plans to extend the range of kits available. I received a prompt reply with this information......

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -

Good evening Graham,

Thank you for your email and thank you for adding our link to the forum.

At the present we have the following Speedi Pump cover kits in stock:

Yanmar 1GM10/1GM
Beta, Vetus and Nanni with Jabsco triangular covers
Bukh DV10, 20, 24 with F35B Johnson pumps.
Volvo Penta 2000 Series with F35B Johnson pumps
Yanmar YM Series - 2YM15 thru to 3YM30’s

In the pipeline…...Email us to show your interest and we will update you when the following are in stock.

Beta Marine Pumps with Johnson F4 type pumps
Yanmar JH Series
Volvo Penta 2010 thru to 2040 series,
Volvo Penta D1-13 thru to D2-40 series
Nanni T4 Series,
Volvo Penta D2-50 thru to D2-75 series,
Volvo Penta D3-110 thru to D3-160
and more…….

Please feel free to add this information to the forum discussion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Their email is info@marineservicekits.co.uk
Graham

jac

Visit site
I emailed the company asking if they had plans to extend the range of kits available. I received a prompt reply with this information......

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -

Good evening Graham,

Thank you for your email and thank you for adding our link to the forum.

At the present we have the following Speedi Pump cover kits in stock:

Yanmar 1GM10/1GM
Beta, Vetus and Nanni with Jabsco triangular covers
Bukh DV10, 20, 24 with F35B Johnson pumps.
Volvo Penta 2000 Series with F35B Johnson pumps
Yanmar YM Series - 2YM15 thru to 3YM30’s

In the pipeline…...Email us to show your interest and we will update you when the following are in stock.

Beta Marine Pumps with Johnson F4 type pumps
Yanmar JH Series
Volvo Penta 2010 thru to 2040 series,
Volvo Penta D1-13 thru to D2-40 series
Nanni T4 Series,
Volvo Penta D2-50 thru to D2-75 series,
Volvo Penta D3-110 thru to D3-160
and more…….

Please feel free to add this information to the forum discussion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Their email is info@marineservicekits.co.uk
Graham
Just seen that the kit for MD 2030 is available.

Has anyone used one of these kits and how do they compare to the old speedseal?

wayfarer8088

Visit site
Just seen that the kit for MD 2030 is available.

Has anyone used one of these kits and how do they compare to the old speedseal?
Just fitted to our Yanmar 3YM30, very similar to the Speedseal that we had on our previous boat but with just 4 screws. Seems to be fine, very pleased.