Spanish Registered Yacht

willa1

Visit site
We are retiring to Spain next year. As we have property in Spain, we will probably apply for residency. However, we will not be living in the property as we plan to sail. We will be in Spain all of the time, though – no breaks back to the UK apart from odd visits.

We are looking at a Spanish registered yacht that is up for sale.

There is so much conflicting information available that I am hoping someone can help me with the following questions.

1. What are the pro’s and con’s of applying to be Spanish residents as opposed to not being resident?

2. What are the implications for us of leaving the boat as a Spanish flagged vessel? i.e. any taxation, documentation or qualification issues we should be aware of.

3. If we left the boat as Spanish registered, what differences if we declared ourselves resident or as opposed to not?

4. Would it be better to have the boat UK registered? If so, are there any tax implications?

5. What about marine insurance? If Spanish registered, could we get insurance through a UK insurance broker? Are there any advantages to using a Spanish insurance broker instead?

6. What about qualifications? If UK registered, the boat falls under UK law and therefore we need no formal qualifications (ICC etc) as we do not intend to sail inland waterways. If Spanish registered, will we need and ICC or equivalent?

Any other hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
I canno t help with all your questions but I am fairly sure of the following.

Every Spanish boat has to be registered.

Spanish boats are inspected every so often and you have to have a certain minimum specification of safety and navigation aids.

Spanish and French recreational sailors have to have lesssons and pass a test.

A Frenchman I know in Valencia bought a second hand Spanish boat and when he came to re sell it was unable to do so for the engine numbers didn't match and his emision levels were to high. Somehow got it registered as a UK boat and then no problems in selling it. Have seen quite a lot of ex British boats owned by Spaniards who have kept the British registration as it is so much easier.

Don't say you live on the boat for then you WILL be liable to at least a 10% tax on the purchase price.

Hope this helps in some small way

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

zephyrsailor

Visit site
If you buy a property in spain and then come to sell it or decide that you want to return to the UK, 10% of the selling price goes to the spanish government. If you want to claim this back you have to hire Spanish lawyers to do so, which can be a bit of a pain

<hr width=100% size=1>

gonad

Visit site
believe residency is now no longer a necessity better just having your NIE which you get at your local police station
if you are going to keep it spanish plenty of red tape and exams to pass however when you know the right people they can be bought?!
believe that you have to pay a 7 per cent tax when buying

<hr width=100% size=1>