Southampton Boatshow

lustyd

Visit site
They like the exposure but not bold enough to stand by them. They(the company) sound just like users which comes as absolutely no surprise. god Ive such a chip on my shoulder now.
They did give some free nights, and said a lot of good things about the videos. As a berth holder I quite like the approach and it's in-keeping with the family feel of the marinas, just like the summer parties and free wine at the show 😜

steveeasy

Visit site
They did give some free nights, and said a lot of good things about the videos. As a berth holder I quite like the approach and it's in-keeping with the family feel of the marinas, just like the summer parties and free wine at the show 😜
Sounds great, is it really that good. its what is needed. It supposed to be fun after all.

Steveeasy

lustyd

Visit site
I certainly like it. The staff put in considerably more effort than other marina chains and they seem to put the customer first. It's not perfect by any means but the attitude makes a real difference and I don't feel like I'm just a bag of money to them as I have with previous marinas. At Haslar they use the golf buggy to move trollies up to the car park on a Friday and down to the pontoon on a Sunday. It's a small thing, but it makes a real difference.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
The RNLI chuggers (charity muggers) on the pontoons and by the Old City Walls put me right off. One a huge bloke with ruddy complexion was quite passive aggressive when I said no thanks!
Not quite what I expected from the boat show or the RNLI!
I emailed the RNLI complaining about the attitude of the chuggers last year. Got quite a surprizing response, I paraphrase, "not everybody attending the show knows what we do", and had a Victor Meldrew moment!

I no longer gift any beer tokens to HQ through membership, but will stuff used notes in a local station's box.

From discussions with friends who are volunteers I am told the cash is banked centrally, but it is ring fenced for the station.

steveeasy

Visit site
I certainly like it. The staff put in considerably more effort than other marina chains and they seem to put the customer first. It's not perfect by any means but the attitude makes a real difference and I don't feel like I'm just a bag of money to them as I have with previous marinas. At Haslar they use the golf buggy to move trollies up to the car park on a Friday and down to the pontoon on a Sunday. It's a small thing, but it makes a real difference.
Please please dont tell me they help you ? Thats well out of order. I was at a yard for 8 years and I never even got even a Good Morning, Just a look of utter disgust. In the end I popped in to the office one day and politely had to explain it is good manners when passing on a pontoon to say Good morning. the next day I was greeted with a welcoming party. I hate the crap attitude now in this ridiculous pompos industry. It just drags you down and you pay for it.

Steveeasy

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Thanks for the perspective lustyd... I thought there were quite a lot of garden room sellers... but it WAS a huge show. Not many sailing boats but most of them were well worth looking at and, as you say, generally welcoming passersby on board to have a look rather than trying to put you off. I found one very admirable indeed :love: I would go again, but I imagine if one went every year it might get a bit old-hat.

colind3782

Visit site
I fear that Southampton will go the way of Excel before many years have passed. I was at the last Excel show and, when I saw an acquaintance at the other end of the Guinness bar, with no-one in between us, the bell was tolling...

steveeasy

Visit site
There used to be lots of deck shoes on offer atthe show. Today the choice is very limited
I thought that too. I got some good technical advice from beta. And found the lewmar and harken guys helpful. Depends what your seeking. Perhaps it’s the wrong end of the season for direct sales. Be much better if there were more new boats to view and a bit cheaper too. Just imagine if they were actually affordable. Life would be perfect. of course there was one boat with a price on it. £750,000 with a £14,000 boatshow discount. even had Finance terms shown. I am sure the APR was 30%. £200,000 deposit and a zillion months at nearly 6 grand a month. cant knock them for transparency.

Steveeasy

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Sadly, as Southampton residents, the one day we had available to go to the show is shaping up as a really good sailing day ....... dilemmas!

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I emailed the RNLI complaining about the attitude of the chuggers last year. Got quite a surprizing response, I paraphrase, "not everybody attending the show knows what we do", and had a Victor Meldrew moment!

I no longer gift any beer tokens to HQ through membership, but will stuff used notes in a local station's box.

From discussions with friends who are volunteers I am told the cash is banked centrally, but it is ring fenced for the station.
IMHO it's well worth ignoring any offence taken if a particular RNLI collector is slightly over zealous when bearing in mind that they have to raise every penny in order to give their time & risk their own lives to help - or save - all of us seafarers.

When approached, I always mention that we are regular givers and we've only ever had a cheery "thank you".

Richborough

Visit site
IMHO it's well worth ignoring any offence taken if a particular RNLI collector is slightly over zealous when bearing in mind that they have to raise every penny in order to give their time & risk their own lives to help - or save - all of us seafarers.

When approached, I always mention that we are regular givers and we've only ever had a cheery "thank you".
Been a couple of times over the years. I'd say bring back the Beaulieu boat jumble . Us to love those stalls . Sadly gone

Habebty

Visit site
Went today, ordered some new Raymarine instruments at a good price, talked to Nanni who were very helpful (Peachment are just down the road from me), bought a nice rucksack, the coffee was cheaper than Costa! Bloke on the Dragonfly afloat was very informative and chatty. Lots of posing knobs hanging round the big mobos with accompanied overdressed women (or vice-versa). Lots more mobos than sailing all over. Lovely day for it. As already mentioned, lots of familiar stands missing and seemed smaller than before.

lustyd

Visit site
Lots more mobos than sailing all over
This is only really the case if you count small craft as “mobos”. Most of them are small fishing boats and RIBs. there are more sailing yachts than motor boats for cruising.
The show is larger than ever from what I can tell, they’ve expanded the show ground again so not sure why people are claiming it’s smaller.

This page has the 2016 map from the “glory days” and it’s very much smaller https://www.ybw.com/boat-events/southampton-boat-show/2016-23023

ashtead

Visit site
For those who have attended which boats stood out and which stands. I went last year and was impressed by the Transworld team even though I doubt I will ever stretch to a Hallberg 44 as retirement looms and the next change with advancing years and less agile crew might be a crusing trawler type Bene

lustyd

Visit site
There was a 48 foot yacht with a table at the bow. That was rather nice, although lacked hanging space tall enough for a dress so both impressive and unimpressive. It did have a full washing machine in the cockpit locker too, which was nice!