Southampton Boat Show 2021 Covid test to enter regardless of Vaccination status

penberth3

Visit site
I've been double jabbed.
Yet, I need a PCR test (<72 hours) before I can get on the ferry.
Then I need a LFT before I'm allowed into SIBS.
And when I return to France, another PCR test (<72 hours) before I can get on the ferry...

I'm buying shares in the companies manufacturing PCR and LFT tests.

All very sensible. Vaccinated or not you can still carry and pass on the virus.

Concerto

Visit site
Having read the link, the test only refers to visitors. I will be there as an exhibitor. Are they expecting all exhibitors to be tested, as there is no mention. Also are they going to check people arriving by water to enter the marina? Not having to pass through an entrance gate for hunderds of people in the show marina could be a major glitch.

lustyd

Visit site
Presumably a refund for anyone testing positive then, whether true positive or the extremely common false positive? I'm surprised the boat show are up for creating so much needless unrecyclable plastic waste, I'd have thought them more eco-friendly than that. Submitting a negative result doesn't prove anything either way, we really need to start resisting this kind of nonsense before it gets out of hand.

dom

Visit site
Doesn't seem un-reasonable to me. If you can't be arsed to go and get a test to prove that you don't have covid, then why should they let you in.

100% agree. And yet we and our clients won’t go for the usual day out as a consequence. Because there’s no way either I or others are taking a day off for someone to be refused entry owing to the inevitable admin errors.

That‘s despite having the NHS COVID Passes or whatever the international equivalent is. Which is of course another can of worms as they can’t get an English NHS Cert which is only available to those resident in England, I think.

Maybe next year, Sad

Or maybe not, as last time we went one of them bought a stinkpot! Against my better advice of course ??

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
Having read the link, the test only refers to visitors. I will be there as an exhibitor. Are they expecting all exhibitors to be tested, as there is no mention. Also are they going to check people arriving by water to enter the marina? Not having to pass through an entrance gate for hunderds of people in the show marina could be a major glitch.
How do you entervia the water? I was under the impression that 'security' stopped that type of entry.

capnsensible

Visit site
IT does seem a bit odd seeing as sports crowds are now back in full swing. Think the horse has bolted....

At least a lot of it is outdoors, that should help the people on the stands. The times I did Earl's Court and excel, a lot of us would always end up with a cold. Mixing with the great unwashed. Will be worse now as some smarty arses will go on about not wearing masks, probably. ??

lustyd

Visit site
The times I did Earl's Court and excel, a lot of us would always end up with a cold. Mixing with the great unwashed. Will be worse now as some smarty arses will go on about not wearing masks, probably. ??
Freshers Flu is exactly this. Lots of people mixing and things your body has never seen before that others are imune to will get you. End result, everyine gets a little sick for the duration. The aim is that Covid is now one of these things that makes people a little bit sick and very few get bad. That approach seems to be working with fewer and fewer people having problematic symptoms as time goes on.

This has nothing to do with mask wearing, but good try at starting an argument. As others have explained the efficacy of a testing regime which is honesty based and within an app which gave rise to the term "pingdemic" makes this pointless at best. The news seems to suggest that most of Britain are uninstalling the app as the cure is now worse than the disease.

capnsensible

Visit site
Nah. Big groups of people are always gonna cross contaminate. No matter how often you've been exposed. Fact is, this particular sort has proved to be perticularly nasty. But hopefully past the worst in some countries.

It's always a hazard with any easily transmitted thing like colds if you work in the sailing industry, mixing with so many new people every week. Of course, that's tiny compared to healthcare workers, bus drivers and a host of others. Respect.

pvb

Visit site
It's always a hazard with any easily transmitted thing like colds if you work in the sailing industry, mixing with so many new people every week. Of course, that's tiny compared to healthcare workers, bus drivers and a host of others.

Contacts in the sail training industry are probably far tinier than most people's jobs.

capnsensible

Visit site
Contacts in the sail training industry are probably far tinier than most people's jobs.
Yeah, that's why I said its.......tiny. However I'm not sure what other jobs puts five or six people in such a confined space for five days. Then do that 40 to 45 times a year.
Still got absolutely nothing on an AE in grimsville though.....or druggie dens. Or Tescos security....

lustyd

Visit site
However I'm not sure what other jobs puts five or six people in such a confined space for five days
In my (quite wide) experience, most of them. IT projects are horrific for this, and often involve other departments. Every type of job I've worked with, and I've worked with a lot, end up doing project work in groups and spending more time together than family. The real issue is that most jobs then take that group to the canteen/pub/restaurant/hotel to ensure a good strong spread of contagion