Southampton Boat Show 2021 Covid test to enter regardless of Vaccination status

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
No, you have tickets for two shows. Whether you're going is the luck of the draw based on whether your test decides to randomly show you as a false positive or not. Would you be so confident if they required negative tests for flu and cold? At this point both pose a similar danger and probably have higher numbers, we're just not testing for them.
Quite wrong. I have NHS proof of vaccination so I am going. Idiots or those unable to get vaccinated will need to take their chances at the gate.

lustyd

Visit site
Quite wrong. I have NHS proof of vaccination so I am going. Idiots or those unable to get vaccinated will need to take their chances at the gate.
Not if they require a negative test, and that's the whole issue here - requirements can and do change on a daily basis and not usually based on anything sensible. You can't force your way in with a certificate if they require a negative test, hence my stance of not dealing with businesses who have such requirements.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Not if they require a negative test, and that's the whole issue here - requirements can and do change on a daily basis and not usually based on anything sensible. You can't force your way in with a certificate if they require a negative test, hence my stance of not dealing with businesses who have such requirements.
But any business can change it's requirements if it wants to, so does that means you wont do business with any of them?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Incidentally yellow fever causes about 30 thousand death a year and vaccines are obligatory for travel where this disease is a risk. Cars and trucks cause about 2000 deaths a year in the UK so drivers require licences to prove competence, and guns cause even fewer deaths but still require licences.

So insisting on vaccination or proof of non infection, from a disease that has just caused maybe 150 thousand dead in the UK in a mere 18 months, is a fairly moderate response and far from authoritarian.

It wont eliminate all risk, but then nothing does

lustyd

Visit site
But any business can change it's requirements if it wants to, so does that means you wont do business with any of them?
Yes. And I will cancel anything with unnecessary requirements attached, with the exception of things like restaurant bookings - they'll get the message if they turn away enough people at the doors. We all have to do our bit to make sure civilisation is what we're returning to.
Incidentally yellow fever causes about 30 thousand death a year and vaccines are obligatory for travel where this disease is a risk.
You know why it's mandatory? So that when you return to a country that doesn't vaccinate for it you don't cause problems for the unvaccinated population. Covid vaccinations are rolling out globally, so you're unlikely to cause issues in any nation wealthy enough to have access to the vaccine. For some reason the people ranting about anti-vaxxers seem to be the least trusting of the protection it offers them

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The website doesn’t say that. But it does state you need proof of a negative test to attend.

Looks to me as if someone has got mixed up. The standard is negative test OR recent vaccination.
zhnVd25.png

lustyd

Visit site
The false positive rate for the LFTs supplied by the NHS is around 0.06%.
Lol. If that were the case then pingdemic would probably not be a problem, but as things stand the cure is certainly worse than the disease right now. Either way, if true that's over 500 people every day getting screwed over, plus all of their friends and colleagues.

Dunx

Visit site
The silly thing about this is that vaccination is no guarantee that you dont have Covid and indeed you can still transmit it to others. Real world is that the vaccinated can spread it and you can spoof a LFT so what’s the point in insisting on either. I’m clearly not privy to the setup of the show but this may be some licensing condition insisted on by the local authority. I won’t be attending under these conditions as this is just another nail in the coffin of personal freedom.

alan_d

Visit site
Were I in the country at the time, I would actually be more likely to go, knowing that nobody in there is carrying the virus around with them.
Unfortunately, requiring a negative lateral flow test would not ensure that (even without any cheating). LF tests are not as sensitive as PCR ones and will not detect people in the early stages of infection with a relatively small viral load who may nonetheless be capable of passing on the infection. So, asking for a negative LFT test is better than nothing but cannot offer the degree of reassurance you seem to assume.

alan_d

Visit site
The false positive rate for the LFTs supplied by the NHS is around 0.06%.
Yes, it's the rather larger false negative rate that I worry about and, because lots of tests are being done and the results are mostly negative, that amounts to a significant number of people.

Concerto

Visit site
The risk of catching Covid at the show is probably far less than shopping in a major supermarket. I still do that and do not require a test and never have done. I am staying afloat on Concerto at the show and am not worried. Also I was had the Pfizer vaccine quite early with the second dose on 23 March this year so feel if I do catch Covid (I hope not) the symptons will be mild. Personally I feel the show organisers are being very cautious by insisting on testing.

The talk about being told what you can and cannot do as a threat to our freedoms is a load of rubbish and pure scare mongering. My question to all of you. Would you obey a dumb machine's command? It seems a stupid question but be honest would you obey a dumb machine's command? If not, then why do you stop at ared ttaffic light.

Thank goodness there is a show this year. The boating industry needs to show its wares again. I believe most boating people, but not al who usually attend, will attend. The numbers of casual visitors will probably be reduced.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Everyone has their own view on Covid as a product which has to be respected. Some feel that the media has made it a lot more than it actually is. As mentioned an organisation can make it own rule with regard entry conditions. I won't be going as I feel the entry conditions are not necessary . Whatever your view everyone has right to vote with feet.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've been double jabbed.
Yet, I need a PCR test (<72 hours) before I can get on the ferry.
Then I need a LFT before I'm allowed into SIBS.
And when I return to France, another PCR test (<72 hours) before I can get on the ferry...

I'm buying shares in the companies manufacturing PCR and LFT tests.
I know I know. We were in Brittany this time last week and have had three PCR tests in 10 days, one more to go tomorrow

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Any business on the high street or elsewhere has the right to refuse to serve anyone at their discretion so, what's the difference? The show entry rules are to try and safeguard as many people as possible, who have a right not to be infected by others.

Where we are at the moment, masks are still mandatory even on the streets and I haven't once heard any local make what many here consider the steriotypical British and American stupid comment - "it's against my human rights".

INT QRK

Visit site
Any business on the high street or elsewhere has the right to refuse to serve anyone at their discretion so, what's the difference? Th

Not correct, if a business refuses to serve a customer on discriminatory grounds, it is illegal. Discrimination includes issues such as gender, sexuality, ethnicity, religion or disability, which are all protected characteristics.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Yes, it's the rather larger false negative rate that I worry about and, because lots of tests are being done and the results are mostly negative, that amounts to a significant number of people.
Beware! You are in danger of falling into the base rate fallacy and/or its cousin, the prosecutor's fallacy. Basically, the false negative rate has to be taken in conjunction with the actual rate of infection. Since few people have COVID (latest ONS estimate for England is 1 in 65) a negative result is even more likely to be a real one than a false one than the false negative rate might suggest.

Last edited: