Sorry to bang on about antifoul

Nick2

Visit site
Its just that the marine people have written to me with a number of recommendations for my boat with the most expensive one stating "The antifouling is beginning to flake away from the gel coat and we would recommend that all the old antifouling be scraped off and the hull abraded and primed prior to reantifouling"
Now I had reckoned on the new antifoul but not for this extra £700 expense- does this sound essential as the antifoul looks to me as if a jet wash and new coat might surfice for a year or two?

Nick

I am nolonger a puppet.....

ccscott49

Visit site
If the antifouling is flaking away, it will need to come off, however if the antifouling is only coming off in a few places, then a spot job of scraping and then some antifoul primer, then antifoul will probably do for a year or two, BUT if it shows in a couple of years time again, then I would also reccomend the lot off, but I wouldn't scrape it, I would get somebody in with the "farrow system" of blasting to get it all off and slightly abrade the hull for the epoxy hi-build antifoul primer. IMHO

Visit site
I would agree with Colin if the flaking is only localised then you will probably get away with at least another season maybe two. It is worth thinking about scraping back the antifoul properly about every five to six years, you'll get much better adhesion and obviously a much smoother hull, have seatrialed yachts before and after scraping back the hull and have seen performance increase of up to 1.5 - 2 knots.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Colin I assume the farrow system is what I would call slurry blasting. Suggest you do a google search for a company called Symblast, they seem to be the experts for this treatment.

DepSol

Visit site
Had all the barnacles on my new boat scarped off then had it power washed, he then keyed the hull put two coats of some water proof paint then four coats of primer then two coats of antifoul. £350 all in for a 26 foot boat. All expensive antifoul aswell.

It si always best to look around and find out who has the least growth on there boat in your marina. Some antifouls work better in different areas. My FIL uses blakes and gets lots of long green weed hanging from his boat and I use International and dont get that weed hanging from mine.

Best to ask around.

Dom

Ok so he's not santas Elf but he is an Elf !!

ccscott49

Visit site
Yes its a type of slurry blasting, but uses a plastic blasting medium, which is kind to the hull and will take off a paint layer at a time if you want it to.

ccscott49

Visit site
I'll remember that, hoping to winter there next year, at that place you told me about, just can't remember where it is again!! But I'll be antifouling in April, so I'll remember that and put extra on around the siudes and waterline, I always do, but I'll put even more on this time, thanks for the tip!