Solent to Dartmouth

Dutch01527

Visit site
I have just delivered my new to me boat from the Solent to Dartmouth single handed after my mate had to drop out. I looked at options stopping overnight at Portland or Weymouth. Looking at the tide timings to get to Dartmouth from Portland / Weymouth I would have had to leave at 05.00 and go via the outside route past Portland Bill to avoid lobster pots.

I decided to do it in one go. Left Yarmouth today at 05.15 a couple of hours after high water (nearly neap tide) shortly after the current changed. Motored all the way because wind of 10-15 knots was on the nose.

Shot through the Needles Channel peaking at 9 knots over the ground and had a favourable current until just after Portland Bill at about about 12.00. I had a drive by from a very nice MOD firing range control boat east of Portland Bill because they were about to start firing but I was past area so no issue. In all honesty I had not factored this in so I was lucky. Arrived at the Marina in Dartmouth at 18.00 and in the pub by 18.30.

Boat is a Southerly 100 which is about 10m in length and has a 35hp engine and a cruising speed of 6.5 knots at 2200 rpm. Covered 84 miles in 12.45 hours marina to marina. Had a couple of hours darkness on leaving but just about still light on arrival. Would be easier in summer, but still possible in February.

ashtead

Visit site
I trust you made it to Dartmouth yacht club but if not worth a visit.we spent a good afternoon there In summer although Dartmouth might be short of quality eateries if you plan to dine out.

stranded

Visit site
I trust you made it to Dartmouth yacht club but if not worth a visit.we spent a good afternoon there In summer although Dartmouth might be short of quality eateries if you plan to dine out.
I think the Seahorse or Angel would qualify as decent by most standards.

Visit site
Wow, that's amazing. I told my wife yesterday that it would take 5 days to sail from Southampton to Dartmouth. I will have to revise that estimate! Although personally I would still not attempt it in a single day.

ashtead

Visit site
I should say Dartmouth boasts at least 2 yacht clubs ,the one we used had great outdoor seating in the town overlooking harbour and very good waitress service as we sat outside but maybe the function was on the kings wear side. I guess it’s a bit like cowes though when choosing your club to venture into.

Boathook

Visit site
Wow, that's amazing. I told my wife yesterday that it would take 5 days to sail from Southampton to Dartmouth. I will have to revise that estimate! Although personally I would still not attempt it in a single day.
I have quite often done Dartmouth in a day from Christchurch but not single handed. Speed is more like 5 knots rather than the OP's 6.5 knots so a longer trip. Just need to get the tides right and hope that the weather behaves.

ashtead

Visit site
A lot depends on your aims when sailing. Personally I would have a stop en route but clearly could run down the Solent with the tide and with an autopilot on just keep going. Personally I find a stop in Lymington and say Portland makes for a more harmonious cruise . It’s rather like going to jersey -you can do it in one leg but do you want to ?

Dutch01527

Visit site
I am sure that I would not have had an issue at yacht club - The Royal Dart- but I would not have felt comfortable because there was a function on last night.
Understand the point about stopping enroute being more fun but this was a delivery not a pleasure cruise so different priorities.

Concerto

Visit site
Definitely. I sailed a few years ago from Chatham to the Isles of Scilly in 6 days singlehanded - with a day off enroute!

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Reminds me of when we bought Anhinga, our HR34, from Transworld- River Hamble in 1995. Winds and tides were just right. We did the the passage to the Dart in 15 hours, averaging about 7kn over the ground. OK, we had the minimum of gear on board and little water. We were lighter than we have ever been since. We did have a problem overnight and could not roll in the Genoa So had to drop it. Also, the previous owner had done something odd with the seal steering so we had to hand steer the whole way.
Our berth was and still is Darthaven, not the cheapest of marinas but extremely well run. Excellent facilities, good servicing for engines being a main Volvo agent. Good work on boats generally. As we have got older all this has become increasingly important.
Being a deep entrance, you can - and we have - enter the river in just about any weather whatever the state of tide.

Dutch01527

Visit site
I motored all the way using the autopilot. Wind was on the nose so sailing was not a viable option if I was going to make it in daylight.

Frank - I am on the visitors pontoon at Kingswear now. I agree it is a good marina and winter rate is £17/night for a 10m boat including electricity - bargain!!

Concerto

Visit site
Good trip.
Was it with or without an auto steering system?
With a trusted Raymarine Evolution 100 tiller autopilot.
From the Medway, the first stop was Brighton, followed by Weymouth, then Salcombe. When I arrived in Falmouth I was so tired I needed a day to recouperate. Then headed for Newlyn, but as I was off Mousehole at 1.30pm, just decided to continue on to the Isles of Scilly. All of the days were very long, starting shortly after dawn and then have breakfast, arriving around midnight. That is the only way to eat up the miles.

Last edited: