Solent to Baltic ...... best time of year ...

G

For last couple of years - I have been biding time ... putting together the plans for sailing my boat from Solent to Baltic ....

I have various mails and advice from excellent sources and offers of stop-overs / assistance etc. The boating world is a marvelous reminder that people can still help others ....

The info seems to indicate mid to late summer as best time to do it ... but in that I have a problem ... it leaves little time then to enjoy the boat before lifting out before our severe winters.
I would like to do it early summer ... once evenings / nights have warmed up enough to be pleasant .... springs ok in daylight hours - but nights can be a bit parky !!

I'm looking for info / advice / data that could help me narrow down a suitable period ... eg - anyone else who has done this trip etc.

Which way to go ... most advise going via Kiel ... I have offer to stop-over in Aalborg Denmark - which means over the top of Denmark - the long route .... So all suggestions / ideas gratefully received ....

If anyone has data or other that can be downloaded / saved etc. - then PM me .... I can sort that way if better ...

This is one trip that I have looked forward to and work has prevented me from doing earlier .... circumstances are now indicating that I can do it 2007 ... so I am all fidgety and itching to do it !!

The boat will get lifted, cleaned and pampered before the off !! That will be a surprise for the old girl ..... and for most who know her as well.......

Pye_End

Visit site
If you want to spend a good part of the summer out there then you probably need to go in May. Having said that, 50% chance of easterlies in May and June, and the year I went this was more than true! Still we hid in the canals of Holland till they changed, and popped out the top and made a dash for Kiel canal.

This was fine, and sailing once in the Baltic was considerably easier due to the lack of serious tide.

Having said all that, the next time I would look hard at going through the Limfjord.

Are you coming back the same year? We came back late Aug just after the weather broke, and found it fiarly hard going. Not much chance of easterlies at this time of year!

G

It\'s a one way \"ticket\" .....

I live in Latvia and have decided to reduce my outgoings in UK !! I have a nice little slot ready for her at bottom of garden at my house ....... all I have to do is drop the mast to get her under the bridges ....

I have plenty of room to haul her out to.

I estimate 3 weeks with allowance for another week ....

Initial thoughts were :

With suitable crew .... legs of 2 -3 days would not be too difficult ... so keeping the boat moving onward..... longer if necessary. Making sure that watch system is initiated right at start and not later when all are tired.

Solent to Dover / Ramgate. Stock up last bits and night in.

Cross over to French / Belgium coats and run round to Den Helder and stop again. Stores / fuel etc .....

Out and either run to north Denmark with possible stop at NW corner before entering the cut that leads through to Aalborg - stop at Aalborg.
OR
Run round to Kiel stopping and getting geared up for canal transit.

Into Baltic and do the islands before hitting Lavian coast near Pavilosta ..... then north to Ventspils.

Blimey - I'm itchy-feet now !!

michael_w

Visit site
This year we brought our new (to us) boat back from Schleiswig (German Baltic) to Portsmouth.

Our route was first to the British Kiel Yacht Club, a very warm welcome and I left our car in the barracks whilst we sailed home. Through the Kiel Canal, stopping in the canal overnight, can't remember the exact spot, but it's where the canal branches off to the Eider.

Got weatherbound in Cuxhaven for a few days. Diesel is only available by cans and a taxi here. You must work the tide in the Elbe as it fairly gallops along; kicks up a very nasty sea F4 and upwards.

Then to Ijmuiden, Dover, Brighton and home.

Did the trip in June/July.

AliM

Visit site
I've done it once, and it worked, so this is how I'd do it again...
We left from Harwich to Den Helder right at the end of April - easy crossing, not as many shipping lanes (or ships) as crossing further south. IJmuiden is a good alternative. It seemed a good time to do it, particularly because there weren't that many boats about, unlike in high summer, but the North Sea crossing was quite cold, and you do risk fog then.

Then day sails nipping in between the Frisian islands each night - we took 4 days to the Kiel canal, or thak longer hops to Borkum and straight into the Elbe. If the weather is bad, you can use the Dutch canals to Delfzijl. I've been told by several people that you can get from Emden along the German canals with the mast up, to the Elbe, but I couldn't confirm that - has any forumite done it?

I wouldn't go up the west coast of Denmark, unless it's very settled, because there's no bolt hole, but the Limfiord is lovely. You could sail up the east coast of Denmark to Aalborg - loads of lovely little island harbours.

We loved the Baltic - but were based in Denmark, so didn't stray east at all. We'll be back when one or both of us have retired, so have the time.

newtosailing

Visit site
Re: It\'s a one way \"ticket\" .....

A month ago I did the opposite route ie from Baltic to Solent. Started in Stenungsund (circa 80kms north of Gothenburg). I ended up going through the Kiel canal - largely because I am relatively inexperienced and I didn't want to take on the North sea on first trip of this size. The kiel was more picturesque than I had expected - although a bit of a bore motoring all the way. Rendsburg (about 2/3rds along the kiel is fairly nice stop-over). Don't make the same mistake that I made - thinking that you could get fuel in cuxhaven (reeds and pilots state so - but no fuel there since 2001 unless you want to walk into town with jerry cans). Depending on what your draw - you could go for the option of the Lingfjord (through the top of denmark - rather than sailing down the skageraak). I would be tempted to sail as early as a weather window allows as I would want to make the most of what is a relatively short season with the boat in the baltic. I intend to sail back there at some stage to spend more time sailing around what is a beautiful area.

G

I think I may have met them (it was a couple) for drinks on their boat in Riga, lovely couple /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Unless there were two Twisters heading that way that year.

G

I've taken similar routes to others here. I don't see any reason not to do it earlier. You might have Easterlies, but then again you might not... and you migh have Easterlies in July August anyway. Better to go earlier to leave plenty of time for exploring the Baltic on the way.

Personally I prefer not spending too much time in in the Dutch Canals - they're pretty, but it takes AGES all that waiting for bridges and locks. Better go outside the Frisians probably in hops. Helgolands well worth seeing, as is the Eider, more interesting than the Kiel Canal, but takes more time. In the Baltic you face the choice of going northabout or more directly across the South. Southern Baltic is much less interesting (except for Rugen, which is well worth a diversion). North through Sweden and Finland is fascinating, but will take you MUCH longer, there's so much to see.

G

I believe that's the one, was a great evening - for me anyway!

I was very impressed because we sat up very late drinking plenty of spirits, and when I woke up rather late next morning with a thick head, they had already gone. They were planning to sail to Sweden non-stop with their hangovers, but I always wondered if they managed to resist the temptation to stop somewhere nice along the way (like Ruhnu) to look for a cure...

peterb

Visit site
I've done it both ways. Although this year (late May) we made Brighton - Bergen in one hop, I wouldn't normally recommend the west coast route. As someone else says, there's an acute shortage of bolt holes. Some years ago we got rolled to 90 degrees in the entrance to Hvide Sande; not to be recommended in strong westerlies. Esjberg can be almost as bad; CA say that the approach can be dangerous particularly in gale force against the ebb. Similarly for Thyboron; seas break in onshore winds above F5 especially on the ebb.

You're much better off going in through the Kiel Canal; once through there are plenty of harbours you can use. Two places worth a visit are Helgoland and the British Kiel Yacht Club. You shouldn't have too much trouble entering the Elbe, the prevailing wind is westerly so go in with the flood. Be careful, though, if the wind should be easterly. It's worth looking at the Norder Elbe if so.

If you do visit Helgoland, don't forget to call first. It's a German naval port, and they can get quite indignant.

Enjoy it. I'm flying out to Gothemberg tomorrow to pick up a boat to bring back to Enkhuisen; just hope the weather doesn't decay too fast!

G

A gourmets guide to the Baltic

... and I had a meal on board YOUR boat (... of Orwell) cooked by you in Kalmar. Delicious meat and veg, mmm... A master chef.

Happy memories!

G

Re: A gourmets guide to the Baltic

No, just brought up in Scotland and therefore highly practical when it comes to sourcing food and drink.

DavidWilb

Visit site
Have just returned [Monday] from similiar trip. Left end of April Chichester to Niuewport, Amsterdam, Issjelmeer, Canals, Helgoland, Kiel Canal, Germany, Denmark, Poland, Bornholm, Sweden, Gotland & return. Second the recommendation to explore around Rugen we thought it was lovely area, sailing, countryside and people. Weather was excellent, though as expected we had a short wait for the 'window' to leave Cuxhaven for Norderney on return trip and back down Channel was a slog to windward and wet but having had wall to wall sunshine earlier cannot complain. Do PM if you want to ask anything. [I have posted charts under 'for sale' which may be of interest]. Important to get times right for Elbe, the tide is pretty strong etc. No problem at Helgoland. Diesel avaialble at Rendsburg and other places on Kiel Canal to avoid cans at Cuxhaven.
David

andy_wilson

Visit site

Setting aside the pleasure derived from the journey, wouldn't you get more if you sold her in the UK, and save more by buying a replacement back home?

Pye_End

Visit site

Ah.

I am jealous.

If you need any help at the time.....!

With regard to the most reliable time if time is against you, then I would say early July judging by the last couple of years. As already been said, should then help to avoid the overnight poor visibility in the North Sea (I think this is what 'did' for the Cambridge students in their Rival a few years ago).

Mind you, of you are allowing 3 weeks, this should be plenty of time even in May, so long as you don't mind being bumped around a bit on the way!

G

Buy and sell ....

The value of mu boat in UK is not enough and second boats out here are silly price on eastern side. Yes I could go over to Sweden and probably find a boat ... but again selling in UK will lose me money - as I won't be able to hang on for good price.

She's small .... 25ft, but heavy motor-sailer designed for sea-duty .... so I'm happy to do it with her .... the two probable crew ... know the boat as well ....

Done in sensible hops - the boat size will not be such a limitation ...