Solent ship-jams?

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Since the start of this season, I have been intrigued to see huge queues of ships anchored in the E. Solent (or Nab approaches) as never before (sometime a dozen at anchor), presumably waiting for a berth in Southampton? Yet the port itself doesn't look particularly full. In the current climate, the crew generates all sorts of rumours as to the explanation, the latest being that each freighter/tanker might have to undergo a precautionary (anti-terrorist) inspection which takes loads of time, hence the queue......

I suspect there is a simpler, more innocent explanation so if anyone has the answer to this weather-rail debate it would be gratefully received!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Down turn in world economy = down turn in freight demand.

Ships are at anchor waiting their next cargo.

<hr width=100% size=1>A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2002

qsiv

Visit site
Thats an interesting take on it - I wonder whether the ships were laden or light?

I wouldnt initially have thought of the Nab as being a great location to wait for a cargo - but if it were only for a few days or a week then it could make sense. Any longer and I believe theyd try to find somewhere calmer and more sheltered, and perhaps with better shoreside access.

No possibility that they are returning from warmer climes, and bound for Marchwood? They would certainly all arrive back at about the same time in those circumstances I guess - although they may well be waiting in the Gulf to bring some of thekit back.

<hr width=100% size=1>

maxi

Visit site
But guess who is paying for them to sit there - we are of course.

The MOD apparenty chartered in excess of 80 of them, yes eighty, as a gift to that nice Mr Bush from our even nicer Mr Blair. You could try getting your money's worth and ask for a trip around the Brambles aboard one of them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re:Marchwood to small

It's been the war that caused the congestion. It's tied up the A34 quite a bit too.

My mate "The Chief" amused me by knowing when the British Armour was on its way to the Gulf, much earlier than you'd have guessed. His company chartered a couple of RoRo's to the MOD at rather good rates. The company had an advantage being Russian. In Russia all car ferries were constructed to take tanks and armoured vehicles. So while Russian diplomats were moaning at the UN A Russian company with Russian crews was shipping the tanks.

I also saw a container vessel on the moorings of Netley moored fore & aft. It showed a red over red while it was being loaded from landing craft though I suspect it wasn't aground.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site
I saw six at anchor from Portsmouth to t'other side of Southampon Water on Monday. From what I could tell they were all light 'cos you could see lots of red paint and the 'bulb' on the bow was right out of the water.

<hr width=100% size=1>