Soda Blasting

raro3

Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the hull of my GRP sailing boat soda-blasted, to remove the 20-year build-up of antifouling. Does anyone have any experience of the results of this exercise, and whether there was any damage to the hull, or to fittings (e.g. depth transducer). I know what the advertising blurb promises, but I'm interested in practical experiences. Thanks for any advice.

FullCircle

Visit site
The 2 boats next to me both had this done last season.
One was GRP, the other ferro.
I must say I was most impressed with the detail of finish, and the care taken during the process to control the strip. It certainly did what it was supposed to.
The protection tent was effective, and I got no residue on my boat 10 feet away.
They did leave a bit of residue on the floor, but no more than I did whilst re-antifouling mine.

I think the Nic26 paid around 300 and the ferro, about 35 ft 400.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The 2 boats next to me both had this done last season.
One was GRP, the other ferro.
I must say I was most impressed with the detail of finish, and the care taken during the process to control the strip. It certainly did what it was supposed to.
The protection tent was effective, and I got no residue on my boat 10 feet away.
They did leave a bit of residue on the floor, but no more than I did whilst re-antifouling mine.

I think the Nic26 paid around 300 and the ferro, about 35 ft 400.

Do you remember the company that did it, if the ultrasonic antifouling works:D
I will want to use a "soft" antifoul removal either the water blast or soda.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
We have had a hull cleaned of its a/f by soda blasting. It was very gentle on the hull, and the only issue was it was so gentle it left some calcium deposits from crustacians on the hull along with a few barnacles. Not a great problem and I sanded them off with a palm sander.

Other threads that may be of interest