So what do you get out of your yacht or sailing club ?

CPD

Visit site
Apart from what you put in, why do people join clubs, what do you get out of them and which would you recommend for a Bradwell based tub, apart from Bradwell Cruising Club ?

Cantata

Visit site
I've belonged to one or more sailing clubs continuously for the last 40 years, made lifelong friends, learned a lot about boats and sailing, been to countless excellent socials, enjoyed the cheap beer. Spent quite a few years on and off 'giving back' by serving on committees, secret there is recognising if and when you need to stand down and give someone else a go (and give yourself a rest).

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Apart from what you put in, why do people join clubs, what do you get out of them and which would you recommend for a Bradwell based tub, apart from Bradwell Cruising Club ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is as you suggest you get out what you put in. I meet up with RNSA members because I enjoy their company (even though most have 15 to 20 years on me!), we have things in common (other than our boats), like to maintain maritime traditions (open for ridicule on scuttlebutt) and of course I can get a warrant for an undefaced Blue Ensign!

I also feel there is as much camaradare (is that a word?), support etc here from the ECF as again there is a common interest from a friendly, non stuck up bunch of like minded nutters.

Of the clubs I have visited over the years I still think that Marconi Sailing Club has the friendliest bunch of members closely followed by the Crouch Yacht Club.

Really it comes down to finding a club where you can join in and are doing the things you want to do at the same time.

MoodySabre

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bradwell based tub

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't talk about your boat like that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think many people join initially for what they can get out of it - training, a place to keep a dinghy or a mooring. What they get is the friendships that develop and the chance to help others enjoy boating.

Having started late and not sailed dinghies there was little I could do to help train anyone. When we moved the boat to Bradwell there seemed no point in paying subs to a YC on the Thames. I don't think that I'm a club person really. I have lots of friends who don't sail, some who do and a very nice bunch of East Coast people to meet up with. That reminds me.....it's your round /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I'm not much of a club person really and find many sailing clubs snobby and full of politics. When I bought my boat the members of the club she had been at asked me to join rather than take her away. It is very much a DIY club, more PBO than Yachting World, which suits me fine. What do I get? Well, apart from cheap mooring, dinghy park, free lifts in and out and winter storage ashore with electricity;

There is always someone around to keep an eye on the boat. Living a hundred miles away, that's handy.

Free advice, mostly contradictory.

Help if I need it.

There is a social side and weekends there are lots of folk around but most of my sailing is during the week and I'm an anti-social sod anyway.

In return for that lot, I part with under £400 pa and four days for work parties.

Sixpence

Visit site
Not a club as such, but a group of mooring owners who look after thier own mooring and muck in to help if anyone else needs it. Everyone watching over all the other boats so if anything does go wrong there's a quick phone call to the owner and everyone piling in to help (and advise) when needed. With a pub/restaurant right next to it still serving good food, can't be bad /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

sailorman

Visit site
Jim can you ask her to get a less "Maidenly" Hair Do /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.
i know she a bit deficient in the height dept /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif but a more up to date hair cut would enhance her appearance /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

peterb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case, all my sailing. The club owns the boats, and I sail them. So do many others. That means that the boats get used properly; we average about 5000 miles per year.