so are you going to sail through the UK winter?

dunedin

Visit site
The last time I sailed in winter I found myself wearing socks over my deck shoes to try and avoid slipping on the ice covered deck.

An experience I have not been tempted to repeat.

šŸ˜³
In salt water, sluice the decks with sea water to remove frost. If chosen the right day the sun will soon heat you.

Skylark

Visit site
One of the many definitions of madness must be UK winter sailing. Not for me, Iā€™m far too much of a wimp.

Give me a country pub with an open fire every time, thanks.

A few years ago I started the season early with a course on The Clyde in February. It took me the best part of a year to recover.

Others, of course, may have a different view and theyā€™re welcome to it šŸ‘

capnsensible

Visit site
Thatā€™s because you were sailing to a fixed timetable and therefore on the wrong days. Itā€™s mainly retirees not ā€œyoung peepsā€ out over the winter (excluding racers and sailing school boats).
Those who are not tied to a work schedule can time their winter sailing for the nice weather days. Lots of wet windy SW days, but in between also get plenty of sunny gentle wind days. Wear good clothes (but rarely if ever need to wear oilskins in winter sailing) and keep the sprayhood up.
Wrong days? :eek:

Well was racing a bit and teaching at a couple of sailing schools at weekends. When I got full time sailing work, Sundays to Fridays. It was hard yakka but a blast. Out regardless.....unless it was super bad. Time for tidal heights, rate and direction, rules of the road, yadda yadda whilst listening to the rain beating on the cabin portlights.

When the going is tough, the tough get going...... but sunscreen now. :cool:

Took 4 crew on a Sadler 34 across from Gosport to Cherbourg one January 2nd. The idea was new years hangovers would have been sorted. Didn't work. It was fresh winds, grey seas and grey skies. South Westerlies. Forecast was to stay the same for a few days. Got to Cherbourg. Dark, raining hard which didn't quite melt the ice on the pontoon. Forecast changed dramatically to gale force winds. 2 of us stayed, 3 had to get the ferry home for work. They were the only ones in the bar.

2 days later, wind eased but bitterly cold. The 2 of us sailed back. First time I heard Concord sonic boom mid channel. My already soaking wet foulies iced up. Was extremely very very happy to get back. Another trip to add to my ' never doing that again' list...

I was young. :)

dunedin

Visit site
Wrong days? :eek:

Well was racing a bit and teaching at a couple of sailing schools at weekends. When I got full time sailing work, Sundays to Fridays. It was hard yakka but a blast. Out regardless.....unless it was super bad. Time for tidal heights, rate and direction, rules of the road, yadda yadda whilst listening to the rain beating on the cabin portlights.

When the going is tough, the tough get going...... but sunscreen now. :cool:

Took 4 crew on a Sadler 34 across from Gosport to Cherbourg one January 2nd. The idea was new years hangovers would have been sorted. Didn't work. It was fresh winds, grey seas and grey skies. South Westerlies. Forecast was to stay the same for a few days. Got to Cherbourg. Dark, raining hard which didn't quite melt the ice on the pontoon. Forecast changed dramatically to gale force winds. 2 of us stayed, 3 had to get the ferry home for work. They were the only ones in the bar.

2 days later, wind eased but bitterly cold. The 2 of us sailed back. First time I heard Concord sonic boom mid channel. My already soaking wet foulies iced up. Was extremely very very happy to get back. Another trip to add to my ' never doing that again' list...

I was young. :)
As I said, wrong days due to working to a fixed schedule. But thatā€™s the problem when work constrained:)

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I like to get the odd day sail in over the colder months but nothing more than that. I have eroding antifoul and it does need a bit of use for it to work.

mrming

instagram.com
My boat stays in for the winter and we go for the occasional sail when the weather suits. We also use it as a floating office / caravan. I haul and do out of the water maintenance for a week in June when the yard is quiet. I find the boat stays in better condition if I just use it rather than laying it up every winter. Relies on having a good sheltered berth obviously.

Halo

Visit site
Ever since I retired I have been sailing in the winter. I just pick my days. I avoid frosty decks having found that sea water doesnā€™t clear them well or for long. If sleeping aboard I ensure shore power is available and plug in my light weight silent convector heater and leave it on all night. One of the best accessories is a faux fur Russian hat.

Chiaraā€™s slave

Visit site
We would normally be in commission 12 months. We have heating, and sail on nice days that we can fit into our calendar. Thatā€™ll be once or twice a month for a day sail, October to March, and maybe the spring series. This year we are out of the water from November to end Feb, as we are copying the swallows.

GEM43

Visit site
In UK waters that is? I have in the past raced through to New Years day and then re-started end January. But racing is time limited to max 6 hours and is reasonably active. Wouldnt fancy cruising, anchoring overnight etc.

What about you|?
No.

SaltyC

Visit site
Yes! Happy to sail - BUT I do choose the weather. Sailing in the NW it can be glorious, clear blue skies, fantastic visibility, Snow capped mountains to the East, Lake District, Snow capped Mountains to the West, Dumphries and Galloway. Two of the best recent sails were first week in December, blue skies Force 3 - 4 for 5 days brilliant sailing, but yes cold! Anchorages not a problem, put heating on once engine started, turn off when anchored ( too much electric consumption) but oven the takes over to keep cabin warm. 2nd trip last 3 days in Feb and first 3 in March - absolutely brilliant, even with F6 winds and beating! Helped by marinas and shore power at night. Cumbria, NI, IoM,and back.

migs

Visit site
As they say ā€˜thereā€™s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong boatā€™. With ice on the decks, we are very comfortable in our deck saloon; on a crisp January day in Newtown Creek itā€™s just us and the geese - perfect.

Some of our best sailing has been in the winter months, and itā€™s fun to sail in a tee shirt from our cosy saloon when itā€™s bucketing down outside. Why do people seem to suffer this sort of discomfort gladly? Is it some sort of ā€˜hair-shirtā€™ thing, or perhaps they think it's all about being the 'master on the poop deck' and it's not proper sailing if you aren't outside in all weathers.

We wouldnā€™t go sailing it were horribly uncomfortable, and we wouldnā€™t have a boat if we could only go sailing half the year.

Supertramp

Visit site
I find leaving the boat afloat simpler and less stressful than ashore with worries about wind and freezing. But I lift every 2 years so I can check underwater, polish the hull, refresh the coppercoat, anode etc. I find leaving the boat commissioned and ready to go makes the next season easier too.

When afloat, and with time to choose a good weather slot, the sailing can be rewarding. Great to sail with a backdrop of snowy mountains. Anchoring means having confidence in the weather forecast and a good book to read. I have a pilothouse and heating which also helps, and I can cope with the cold.

Just back from two days and an overnight anchor in N Wales, curtailed due to high winds. Two short but very pleasant sails, only one other yacht out both days, almost no jetskis. All the moorings lifted for the winter at Abersoch making it feel very different. There is a sense of being somewhere much more remote than your home waters when you are the only person out.

Screenshot_20241013_185129_Gallery.jpg

So, yes, I will sail through the winter (carefully). And still service the heat exchanger and other jobs in between.

oldharry

Visit site
Used to do it, and some of my best sailing memories are from winter sailing: beating out of Newtown River into a blizzard, and being fascinated by actually seeing the snowflakes revealing how the wind flowed over the sails - just like the diagrams in sail training books! Followed by a second sharp lesson - dodging the wet snow slithering off the main as you go about! I also have mmemories of sailing in Cardigan Bay against an amazing backdrop of snow covered mountains.

But as far as I am concerned its a young man's game. At 80 now, I prefer my chair by the fire, wondering if some the rheumatism in my fingers was triggered by that and winter motorbike trips!