Small boat heavy weather

Refueler

Visit site
I would have thought either direction would work. Any reason to turn towards the swell?

If you like corkscrewing motion in the rolls as well - then by all means .. but personally I prefer a pitch and roll rather than that sickening corkscrew motion ..

Imagine what a big ship is like for it ... bet you don't like it on your boat !! Its far worse on a ship ..

westernman

www.devalk.nl
If you like corkscrewing motion in the rolls as well - then by all means .. but personally I prefer a pitch and roll rather than that sickening corkscrew motion ..

Imagine what a big ship is like for it ... bet you don't like it on your boat !! Its far worse on a ship ..
I have never experienced it on my boat. Only on a square rigged barquentine when going dead down wind in a gale. But that was largely due to the wind and a decent amount of sail flying rather than the swell.

arcot

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience of small boats in heavy weather?
I am hoping to buy a sailing boat between 17 and 22 ft that can sail in at least F7, so that I don't have to scuttle for port early.
Particularly looking at boats like Shrimper 19s Hurley 22s, down to a Dockrell 17.
Also want to take the ground, so twin or lifting keels
I have long experience of bigger boats in heavy weather, but have no idea how small boats manage. Can anyone help?
ICEBIRD Dr. Lewis.....

Refueler

Visit site
Check out the era of the 1940. 50s many ocean crossings in small boats…….without YouTube😏
PBO itself had a spread about a guy who did the Atlantic in a Centaur.

My Sunrider 25 ... we had Owners group ... one was in South Africa .. another in Canada etc. Always wanted to find out how they got there but support for Groups was closed by Yahoo before I got to ask.

n_g_anderson

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience of small boats in heavy weather?
I am hoping to buy a sailing boat between 17 and 22 ft that can sail in at least F7, so that I don't have to scuttle for port early.
Particularly looking at boats like Shrimper 19s Hurley 22s, down to a Dockrell 17.
Also want to take the ground, so twin or lifting keels
I have long experience of bigger boats in heavy weather, but have no idea how small boats manage. Can anyone help?
Sorry if this has already been mentioned (I don't have time to read the full 9 pages before work!) but do consider a Cape Cutter 19. They are very similar to a Shrimper 19 but designed for South African waters with more internal ballast. The cutter rig makes it easy to reduce foresail and mine (now sadly sold) was happy in f6-7 with a double reefed main and inner jib. She took the sea beautifully. However, I mainly sailed within Poole harbour so the wind could be high but the water flat-ish. I did sail in Poole bay and around to Swanage many times and she was quite happy in rougher weather. She never felt insecure but I do enjoy heavier sailing occasionally.