Sleeping on Bomb

ballena

Visit site
I have a real problem with the fuel system on my 98 Four Winns 238 vista.

There is a strong smell of petrol coming from the tank area under the mid cabin.

I have removed the floor and inspected everything, I have put the tank under pressure and been round with soapy water looking for bubbles, nothing.

The hoses look ok.

Any Ideas? I am desperate

<hr width=100% size=1>V8's rule!

BarryH

Visit site
How old are the hoses. If they're the otiginals it might be worth changing them. Its not unknown for them to become porous with age. The ones on my boat needed changing. I had the same symptoms as you, new ones sorted it.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

ArthurWood

Visit site
Seems a bit young for hoses to need replacement. Have you checked the filler-to-tank hose? Friends of ours had the hose on their Carver come off at the tank as they were filling and put 60gal in the bilge. Carver admitted liability as the hose was too short. In any case, refrain from smoking or switching electrical stuff on and off till you've discovered the cause.

<hr width=100% size=1>

enterprise

Visit site
Check the seal on the water separator/fuel filter.

If you have the twist on cannister type this may have worked loose or not have been re-installed correctly when last serviced.

<hr width=100% size=1>

spannerman

Visit site
You say that you pressurised the tank, and there were no bubbles, did it hold the pressure, as if you have a leak or hole some place out of sight you won't see any bubbles as you air is escaping there instead, just a thought.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ballena

Visit site
It seemed to hold the pressure overnight, which leads me to think that it the hoses.

I do notice an increase in smell for up to 12 hours after adding fuel to the tank.

Could be the filler hose, it rubs against the bulkhead very tightly.

<hr width=100% size=1>V8's rule!

tr7v8

Visit site
I've certainly seen this on cars as the hoses go porous to vapour over a period of time although don't actually leak.

Jim
--------

<hr width=100% size=1>