Sirenia Sunk

CliveG

Visit site
I have had some very bad news today.

I had a call from the office to phone George, The Harbour Master at Ramsholt.
( Thank you to Roger (Sailorman) for acting as the messenger.)
He told me that Sirenia had sunk on her mooring overnight.
He has called out the Felixstowe Ferry boat yard with their recovery barge to try to lift her.
They have managed to get her onto the mud bank nearby and will recover her tomorrow.

I am going there tomorrow to see how bad the damage is and try to find out what happened.

I have informed my insurers (GJW) and they are going to appoint a surveyor who should contact me in the next few days.

Can anyone give me any guidance on things to think about or do to make sure I end up with the best result.

There is no way I will give her up.
I will get her back into use and better than before.

Thanks again to Roger.

MoodySabre

Visit site
That's very sad news Clive so soon after a weekend away as well.

I wish I had some words of wisdom but fortunately I haven't faced a situation like that. One would hope that yacht surveyors are on the side of getting it right rather than trying to wiggle out of it on behalf of an insurance company. If you don't like what they say you could instruct your own surveyor.

Hope it is not too bad.

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Oh Clive that's terrible!

Do you know how it happened? Silly question, I don't suppose you will know that until you see her.

I'm afraid I can't think of anyone I know who has had this experience so I can't offer any advice.

But, just like everybody else, if there is anything practical I can do to help, please get in touch.

Keep us posted on the situation.

Bernie x

sailorman

Visit site
Hi Clive
words arnt enough in the circumstances are they.
George rang my home as he couldn't contact your mobi i rang him back from work he said he was late on parade due to the weather & saw her "Bows Down " i tried your number then contacted your company, when i rang George again say 8 Min's after the first contact she had sunk ( guess the centre board hole was below the water).

i would strongly suggest you try to get Martin Evans to supervise if you can ( 07887724055. shipshape@ntlworld.com ) he is first rate & very fair to both parties But will bat on your side , GJW should know him

All the best /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Roger

Sixpence

Visit site
Oh no, not the sort of post I would ever want to see. Really sorry to hear it Clive, as with the others, if there is anything I can do, anything at all, just call and I'll do whatever I can. You probably know it already, but don't switch any of the electronics on until well and truly tested, as with Artemis, any help I can offer in that area I'm more than happy to help with. Though he's probably a better bet as he's a lot closer.
Hope it turns out well mate, fingers crossed the insurers don't mess you about too much

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Talk about a blow /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hope you'll get her back to her old self.
At least you're with GJW. If our experience is anything to go by, you'll be back out in no time.

Any idea what might have caused it? Centreboard like Roger suggested?

FullCircle

Visit site
Clive,
Will divert to the Deben, we were coming up to Orwell on Friday night anyway.
Willing work party for the weekend Mate, anything thats needed to help clean her up and get her afloat.

I suspect Full Circle would have gone down last winter if she hadnt been on a mudberth. As you know we had mud & water up over the floorboards. It took ages to pump dry. The mud gets everywhere, but ours is pretty clean now.

sailorman

Visit site
i think that if she had a leak that obviously when the water inside the boat took her down so that top of the c/b case went below external water level the water would have been forced through the c/b case, i doubt the c/b case was the initial cause

Artemis_C2121

www.sailblogs.com
Clive

As Dave has suggested keep the power disconnected, odd as it may seem anything electrical that has been in submerged if small enough should be dumped in fresh water and dismantled then left to dry naturally dont try and force dry it in airing cobboard or on a heater. bigger items should be well hosed out and left to dry happy to be on hand if needed

Neville

CliveG

Visit site
What a great gang of good friends you all are.

Tears in my eyes typing this.

The offers of help are most welcome.

I have spoken the Martin Evans as Roger suggested and he has spoken to GJW but they have already appointed a Surveyor from Felixstowe.
I Can't remember the name he said but I am sure that he will contact me soon.

I will know better what is to be done tomorrow evening.
A work party would be excellent if the surveyor is happy with that.
I would much prefer to put her right myself that leave her to some one else.