Siracusa fines...

RobbieW

Visit site
From a friend currently in Siracusa:

"To all my friends sailing out of MDR or Licata. If you go into siracusa harbour this year ensure that call the harbour master and get clearance & instructions on where to anchor. Nearly all the boat's here have been fined 400 euros by the coast guard. They're seem to be on a mission to take money off every boat. Despite this getting them to respond on the radio is very difficult. 4 boat's called yesterday evening and only one got a reply that was only after about 6 calls on ch16."

Be warned

sailaboutvic

Visit site

"To all my friends sailing out of MDR or Licata. If you go into siracusa harbour this year ensure that call the harbour master and get clearance & instructions on where to anchor. Nearly all the boat's here have been fined 400 euros by the coast guard. They're seem to be on a mission to take money off every boat. Despite this getting them to respond on the radio is very difficult. 4 boat's called yesterday evening and only one got a reply that was only after about 6 calls on ch16."

Be warned
Hi Robbie
This must be a very new thing .
We was there just a few weeks ago and many came in while we was there ,
we never had a problem nor did we hear any one else call up .
the CG did their usually going around every morning and asking boat just arrived where they come from and where they are going .
But off cause if as you been told they are fining , well it be best to try and call , if you get a reply now that a very different thing :)

Last edited:

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
We were there for 3 nights, left Monday morning. Coastguard passed by and just waved.

This is the quote from a friend who was approached and fined, note that payment requested was not on the spot.

"Coastguard office here has been inundated with crews going in complaining. Apparently you can fill in a form to contest the charge. No I've not made any payment yet. We guess about 15-18 boat's fined in two days. All non Italian boat's."

Seven Spades

Visit site

Be warned

What was the fine for? Was it for anchoring without permission or anchoring in the wrong place or something else?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
What was the fine for? Was it for anchoring without permission or anchoring in the wrong place or something else?

Italy has a law about not anchoring closer than 300mtr ?? to any beach. Was in under this law, I wonder

In Sicily in 2010, we were anchored in a bay near Cosello Del Mare, and were surrounded by small italian ribs and other italian yachts. The coast guard singled us out and made us move saying that if we did it again we would be fined. He didn't move any of the Italian boats.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Have the fines been levyed inside this area ?

View attachment 57894

Inlighting us why you ask please Roberto ?

A conversation with another member of this parish last night , he was told by the CC that next time he came in to call up the harbour master and he would be told where to anchor , nothing about fine and he had no hassle .
I do wonder if now the new quay is finish if there looking at yacht going on to the quay rather then anchoring , althought most of the bay is marked anchoring and the quay in an NW W is dangerages , it not the first time over the years we had to make a quick get away .

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
I can only add factually that our friend, whose quote was the original copied on this thread, did have to pay a fine of 340 euros.

Secondly other friends reported that a large cruise ship could not go in due to yachts anchored. Apparently the town folk are not happy at the loss of potential revenue from cruise holidaymakers (hearsay).

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I can only add factually that our friend, whose quote was the original copied on this thread, did have to pay a fine of 340 euros.

Secondly other friends reported that a large cruise ship could not go in due to yachts anchored. Apparently the town folk are not happy at the loss of potential revenue from cruise holidaymakers (hearsay).

Ah Samantha , are we now getting to the real reason for the fines .
I have to say some do try and anchor almost into the town just so they don't have to go far in their dinghy blocking up the fairway for the ships . And if that's the case , (sorry guys ) but they deserve to be fined .

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Inlighting us why you ask please Roberto ?

I read most of the recent Siracusa Local Regulations and there is one specifying that because of underwater works in the area limited by the above coordinates it is forbidden to anchor.
That might explain the recent CG activity, and the fact that people asking where they might anchor have been sent in authorized areas.

Unfortunately all (well, 99%) of local regulations are written in Italian only :(

Tony Cross

Visit site
I read most of the recent Siracusa Local Regulations and there is one specifying that because of underwater works in the area limited by the above coordinates it is forbidden to anchor.
That might explain the recent CG activity, and the fact that people asking where they might anchor have been sent in authorized areas.

Unfortunately all (well, 99%) of local regulations are written in Italian only :(

Would you mind PMing me a copy of this regulation please? I appreciate it's in Italian but we (the CA) can get it translated. An official document explaining the reasoning behind what's happening would be most useful.

Thank you! :)

Roberto

Would you mind PMing me a copy of this regulation please? I appreciate it's in Italian but we (the CA) can get it translated. An official document explaining the reasoning behind what's happening would be most useful.

Thank you! :)

Hello Tony,
you can find it online here
http://www.guardiacostiera.gov.it/siracusa/Pages/ordinanze.aspx

it is (now) in the second line, title:

​reimpianto posidonia oceanica Porto Grande di Siracusa

the area (which seems rather small?) is being used by a project to re-develop a Poseidonia oceanica sea bottom (sea grass?).

I am trying to locate the Siracusa Port General Regulations in the abysses of that web site, maybe some further/other explanations to come (?)

Roberto

Tony,

it would be a lot easier if the people having been fined could indicate the type/number of article violation is indicated in the paper leaflet the authorities left them.
Without mention of a specific article, the fine would be void.

Roberto

I think I have found it: the Port Police General Regulations,, Article 16, Para 6, reads:

6. I comandanti/conduttori delle unità di cui al comma 1, in previsione di ancorare nelle zone di fonda meglio individuate nell’ allegato 4 al presente regolamento prima dell’ingresso in porto, hanno l’obbligo di darne preventiva comunicazione via VHF CH 16 alla Capitaneria di porto di Siracusa al fine di ottenere apposito nulla osta all’ancoraggio. Resta l’obbligo di presentazione, nei termini previsti al punto 2 del presente articolo, dell’ allegato 3 al presente regolamento.

Quick translation: all leisure boats wishing to anchor in the area indicated by the Annex 4 (a big area in the middle of the bay), must contact before arrival the Port Captain on VHF channel 16 to ask for the relevant authorisation.
During the 12 hours following their arrival, they must also file a written report of their arrival to the Port Captain as per Annex 5 [crew list, see link]
http://www.comune.siracusa.it/images/Capitaneria_di_P./Allegati/all.5.pdf

Annex 4 (area)
http://www.comune.siracusa.it/images/Capitaneria_di_P./Allegati/all.4.pdf

Probably a case of the regulations being enforced in a not so consistent way...

add link to the General Port Regulations
http://www.comune.siracusa.it/images/Capitaneria_di_P./REGOLAMENTO_.doc

Last edited:

fliti

Visit site
I live in Sicily part of the year and have reached the conclusion that no Italian alive or dead could be in full conformity with Italian regulations. They may even have been drafted to achieve that unhappy end. Consequently, and particularly in Sicily, everyone I know ignores almost all rules and regulations, or at least all those known not to be heavily enforced like speeding or texting whilst driving ( on average, driving down the unfinished and therefore officially non-existent motorway past Siracusa, I observe that 75% of truck drivers are texting). My Sicilian pals philosophically assume that every now and then, one of the bewildering variety of constabularies is obliged by someone on high to bestir themselves and enforce the regulations for which they are employed. Sicilians understand this, shrug, pay the fine and continue to ignore the rules on the grounds that lightning does not strike twice and the constabulary will inevitably return to lethargy. This is almost certainly what has happened here. It's hard for us to accept or understand coming from such a fundamentally different system, based on adherence to rules and their fair application. It's why I have just posted my leave vote for the referendum.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I think I have found it: the Port Police General Regulations,, Article 16, Para 6, reads:

6. I comandanti/conduttori delle unità di cui al comma 1, in previsione di ancorare nelle zone di fonda meglio individuate nell’ allegato 4 al presente regolamento prima dell’ingresso in porto, hanno l’obbligo di darne preventiva comunicazione via VHF CH 16 alla Capitaneria di porto di Siracusa al fine di ottenere apposito nulla osta all’ancoraggio. Resta l’obbligo di presentazione, nei termini previsti al punto 2 del presente articolo, dell’ allegato 3 al presente regolamento.

Quick translation: all leisure boats wishing to anchor in the area indicated by the Annex 4 (a big area in the middle of the bay), must contact before arrival the Port Captain on VHF channel 16 to ask for the relevant authorisation.
During the 12 hours following their arrival, they must also file a written report of their arrival to the Port Captain as per Annex 5 [crew list, see link]
http://www.comune.siracusa.it/images/Capitaneria_di_P./Allegati/all.5.pdf

Annex 4 (area)
http://www.comune.siracusa.it/images/Capitaneria_di_P./Allegati/all.4.pdf

Probably a case of the regulations being enforced in a not so consistent way...

add link to the General Port Regulations
http://www.comune.siracusa.it/images/Capitaneria_di_P./REGOLAMENTO_.doc

Roberto, You're a star. Very many thanks for this very useful and valuable information! At least now we can understand the basis of these alleged fines even if their implementation is a bit arbitrary - but very Mediterranean.....