Siracusa fines...

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I meant to update on our stay but forgot for a while. Usual questions when we reported in (length, how many people on board, last port etc.) and we were asked to let harbour authorities know when we left (though they weren't exactly bothered when we did).

We said we'd anchor in the designated area but found only one boat just inside that area (Norna Biron), so we also anchored not far away. All other boats were behind us and closer to the shore. I thought that I saw a coast guard boat visiting boats the next day and several moved out beside us. Perhaps that was just coincidence.

We did get a visit from the coast guard but they were only collecting the same information we'd given to the harbor authorities. They didn't seem to be interested in whether or not we'd already contacted anyone.

I pulled up a huge mass of weights, ropes and nets when lifting my anchor. Barely able to get enough to the surface to cut it free and it was wrapped around the chain, not the anchor. I think I'd avoid the charted anchorage area in future.

We anchored in Catania on the way back up the coast, same place as last time and well clear of the harbour entrance. A few local boats in the same area but we were the only boat there on Monday morning. Coast guard came over and told us to move a mile from the harbour entrance (pretty much under the airport approach). We were doing some work and were given an hour to move. I thought 0.6nm would be far enough and moved to finish up work. A larger Coast guard boat came out an hour later and made a beeline for us. Fortunately, we were already raising the anchor and they veered off when they realized the anchor wasn't down. We didn't get under way for 4-5 minutes and noticed they'd doubled back, only to reverse direction again when we began to move.

A bit odd as we certainly weren't in anyone's way, unless the ferries only draw 5m or less and like to get close to the beach.

Visit site
I'm headed to Siracusa from Malta now.

Who exactly is it we are supposed to call on the radio? What's their callsign, and on what channel?

I had a problem in Trapani getting response from Trapani VTS on 16, so had to telephone instead. I'd like to avoid the same issue in Siracusa.

On a slightly off topic note. Anyone know where I can have a parcel sent in Siracusa. The Post Office rejected Fermoposta.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm headed to Siracusa from Malta now.

Who exactly is it we are supposed to call on the radio? What's their callsign, and on what channel?

I had a problem in Trapani getting response from Trapani VTS on 16, so had to telephone instead. I'd like to avoid the same issue in Siracusa.

On a slightly off topic note. Anyone know where I can have a parcel sent in Siracusa. The Post Office rejected Fermoposta.
Hi We payed you a visit the other day but you wasn't about , we now on the North part of the island .
But any chance was that you getting fuel in two black can and a red one yesterday in the garage ?
Ok answers to your question .
You don't need to call anyone up . Most don't bother ,unless you want a place on the quay .
but if you want to call up it first on 16 then 11 , you may or may not get a reply .

Visit site
Yes that was me. Two black 10l jerry cans and a large red one.

It wasn't you I gave the €1 to was it?

No, I plan on anchoring. I'll try ch16 and 11. I found that if you don't use their callsign they won't respond. Not being native english speakers they'll just assume it's radio nonsense.

In Trapani it was Trapani VTS, but I've no idea who I'm calling in Siracusa, is it the coast guard, the harbour master or port authority. Italy is a proper PITA for bureaucracy. I'd rather avoid a fine.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes that was me. Two black 10l jerry cans and a large red one.

It wasn't you I gave the €1 to was it?

No, I plan on anchoring. I'll try ch16 and 11. I found that if you don't use their callsign they won't respond. Not being native english speakers they'll just assume it's radio nonsense.

In Trapani it was Trapani VTS, but I've no idea who I'm calling in Siracusa, is it the coast guard, the harbour master or port authority. Italy is a proper PITA for bureaucracy. I'd rather avoid a fine.

Yes was us. sorry about all the loose change we give you back ,
If you call Siracusa harbour master they might answer you .
If your that worried about it you can call them on this number +39 093 148 1011 but we been in there four times now this year and not bother to call then only the once when we wanted to go onto the quay ,
By the way the quay is free for five days but you have to pay 10 euros a day for rubbish no matter if you have any or not . But your a lot better anchoring , it can be very nosey on the quay at night .

RobbieW

Visit site
...On a slightly off topic note. Anyone know where I can have a parcel sent in Siracusa. The Post Office rejected Fermoposta.

Try the people here, taken from Noonsite:
Nautica Store
Via Malta 46 , Siracusa
Tel:+39 0931 1854219, Mobile +39 328 686 2911
Nauticastore.sr@gmail.com
Good English spoken. Reported to be very helpful and Vincento also can help with repairs. If they do not have a part they will help order it. Small store but well stocked.

They were helpful with a repair I needed and did speak good english. Its close to (one of) the dinghy ashore tie ups, and near a laundrette incidentally where there was an American/Italian woman working last time I was there.

Visit site
Safely in Siracusa harbour. Biblical thunderstorm going on here.

As expected, no response on an VHF channel from the harbour, but was able to talk to them on +39 093 148 1011

They call them selves Harbour control, or port control, something like that.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Safely in Siracusa harbour. Biblical thunderstorm going on here.

As expected, no response on an VHF channel from the harbour, but was able to talk to them on +39 093 148 1011

They call them selves Harbour control, or port control, something like that.
Good to hear you got there , safe journey on the rest of your trip to Greece .

Yngmar

Visit site
Anchored there last night. As we arrived in the harbour, a big Guardia Costiera boat came heading for us, circled us once but didn't seem very interested in talking and then returned to their berth. About a dozen sailboats were already anchored inshore of the NW anchorage on the chart (but only one inside of it - it's at 10m+ a bit deeper than most yachts prefer). We dropped the hook in a space in the middle - plenty of room.

Very good holding in clay-ish mud - had to motor forward to break out the anchor. Pulled up a nest of nylon fishing line that was caught in the chain this morning. A small RIB came by and was talking to some boats around 10am, but they saw we were just leaving and left us alone - or maybe they didn't like the guy running around on deck wielding a big knife (they came for us just as I got it to cut the fishing line free and then turned off to the next boat instead). Presumably they were the guys that want to take down your details - all the boats were still there in the afternoon.

No fine, no problems. We've got the call from Lakkios Yachting in Porto Marmoreo and are berthed there now to resupply. Bit expensive, but we're pretty much out of everything and it's conveniently right between the old town and the new. Made it around Sicily quicker than expected - we have two weeks left before our winter contract in Licata starts, which is just three day hops away. Maybe we'll do a detour to Malta to kill the time.

Anchorages along the east coast have been mixed, spent some okay time at Taormina, Brucoli, Porto Xifono outside Augusta (mosquito infested) but had to move on due to swell after a night or two in each. Siracusa water is a bit stinky and great garbage patches were floating by, so we didn't feel like swimming, but the anchorage is good. Shame there's some marshland between the anchorage and Lidl - would be great to land the dinghy right there!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
For another time . Park you dinghy by the small boat and lido is a five min walk , or go into the boatyear by the CG and its 15 mins from there .
Licata . Unless you plain toget haul out there or pay a diver ,suggest you block any hull fitting you won't be useing and put a bag around you prop .
Nice town but the fouling bad . sure you enjoy it .

Visit site
The small rib could have been from one of the boatyards. I've seen them gong around boats offering services and some handing out flyers.

To get to lidl, you can moor up on the boatyard dock with your dinghy. The owner was super friendly when we did this, and even showed us how to get in when they close the main entrance for lunch.