Single/short handed tips

daverebbettes

www.youtube.com
Can I start a thread to pool knowledge and ideas for single handed sailing? What would your best advice our suggestion be on matters such as cockpit/line management, anchoring, reefing, mooring/berthing, safety etc. I've been single handing for years but love to hear other peoples recommendations and discoveries that would make life easier and safer.

gilesfordcrush

Visit site
For raising anchor when single handed I bought a cheapo Go-Pro type camera with wi-fi. I mount this on the stemhead, looking down, and can stand in the cockpit with a wireless windlass remote control (also inexpensive from ebay). I can view the video feed from the wireless camera on my phone or a tablet, and can see the chain, so I can see if I need to motor forwards and steer. I can safely bring up the anchor chain without straining the windlass, and all from the cockpit.

Tranona

Visit site
This subject has in fact been covered many times here. There are some general principles, but individuals do tend to come up with their own solutions to suit them, their boat and type of sailing. For example somebody setting out for single handed long distance sailing will have a different set of priorities (and solutions) from a typical weekend coastal cruiser.

Anyway, here are my solutions to common issues - made easier by being in the fortunate position of buying and specifying a (modest) new boat. First priority is choosing a boat that you feel comfortable with and there is a big variation in boats from an ergonomic point of view, and none are perfect. So the one I chose has a cockpit where all controls for sailing (principally mainsheet and jib sheets) can be reached from the wheel and the helm can move around the wheel without climbing on the seats to reach the other sail controls on the coachroof.

Most controversy is about the type of rig and my choice was in mast furling main and small jib. The latter is common nowadays and is a revelation after years of struggling with the typical 130% genoa. Short tacking is now a pleasure rather than something to be avoided. Aware of the (small) loss of sailing performance with a furling main, but more than compensated for by ease of handling.

Biggest fear if you want a reasonable size boat is berthing, particularly if you have a tight home berth like mine. So first thing is to have a good strategy for the home berth with made to size lines permanently attached to the pontoon. For visiting other berths there are various techniques which usually involve getting a line attached, probably a spring as quickly as possible. With a modern boat that has high windage and less grip in the water a bow thruster is a real boon and together with good reverse control which many modern boats have gives one confidence in close quarters. Would also be a help with many older heavy long keel boats, although may be more difficult to fit (and expensive!)

Anchoring is simple. Good windlass with radio remote and good anchor and chain. The only real negative on my boat is access to the bow. In common with many newer rigs it has outboard chain plates and lower shrouds that cut across the side decks at shoulder height.

Self preservation is the key thing for safety. That is minimise risk by avoiding bad weather, staying in the cockpit wherever possible and use of harness if leaving the cockpit in anything other than benign weather.

The main thing I have learned while getting older is to concentrate on the things you can do safely rather than worrying about the things you can't do. There is of course a place for pushing the limits, but best done while younger and then as you live longer you have the memories, plus of course the experience to get the best out of what you can do.

Phildorset

Visit site
A tip I picked up from Foolish Muse book is to learn how to hove too, I know we all no how to, but do we? FM book explains how useful this is in more than just the heavy weather scenario that I'd been saving it for... as in doing so much closer to home and using the calm stable state to sort mooring lines, fenders etc before berthing or - and I haven't learnt this one yet, hove to at just the right point and time to calmly pick up a mooring bouy or set the anchor.
Another tip, but not specific to solo sailing, is using a long single jib sheet, long enough to go back through the cockpit and so cover both tacks, less sheet than two seperate ones and never (pretty much) gets tangled up. I've been doing this for the last cpl of years and it works very well,

Dutch01527

Visit site
1) Midships line with a large spliced loop to be used to lasso mooring cleats to drive against with the engine to pull boat alongside. Makes even my berthing look semi respectable.
2) good auto pilot
3) all lines including reefing back to cockpit. Single line reefing.
4) self tacking jib ( not something I was looking for, it was a standard feature of my boat)
5) self tailing winches
6) anchor windlass ( mine is manual but electric with remote would be even better)

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
One of the things we do here for new boat owners is take them out on the river and practice coming along side.
The river flowing at up to 3knts does tend to scare people initially but after half an hour to an hour most people have it nailed and the increase in confidence is immeasurable.
It strikes me that the same would work in marinas and other locations.
We tend to cast off and go sailing thanking god that we didn't clobber anyone and then return, gingerly hoping to tie up again with no issues.
Maybe spending an hour or so just practicing leaving and returning with lots of fenders in place would be a good call.

A word on bringing lines back aft.
I did this a few years ago and now I find a lot of the lines are going back to the mast.
So often when the wind is above 18 to 20knts something would go wrong, usually near or around the mast.
A kink in a rope stopping it running through a deck organiser, a rope or slider snagging, a sheet getting caught etc, all requiring you making a dash forward to sort it out.
So i figured I needed to make going forward easier and safer.
So my own rule is that out of sight of land, after first reef or after dusk, I wear a safety line.
A lifejacket is almost pointless when offshore, on your own, especially with the autohelm on.
So ensuring you have a good safety line system in place I believe is a must.
Last season I started using a jackstay down the centreline rather than along both decks.
This ensures that you cant fall over the rail, as if you did you'd find it virtually impossible to get back onboard.
Another idea was using a spare halyard which I've tried a couple of times but the centreline jackstay seems the best option.

Foolish Muse

Visit site
As mentioned above, there is a whole FREE book that covers many of the things you are looking for, You can download it from http://sfbaysss.org/main/resources/ Or the version on Amazon has another 40,000 words. I haven't had a crew (other than my wife) on my boat for 10 years, or about 1,000 times away from the dock. Pretty well everything I have learned is in the book - especially all of the many many mistakes I've made. The most important thing is to keep trying and have fun.

And I just learned that Josh Ghyselnicks has been awarded the Ocean Cruising Club Jester Award for crossing the Pacific using only my bungee cord poled-out-jib method of self steering. http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/cruising-life/pacific-cruising-without-engine-65603 It can be done!

Last edited:

Fossil

Visit site
My own thoughts on singlehanding, based on the sailing I do in a 28-foot fin keeler are: firstly and most importantly, you need a good reliable autohelm. If you have that, leaving the tiller while putting up or stowing sails and then while sailing to go and do other things, sorting out problems and even anchoring, isn't a big deal. Secondly, when going back into the home berth, which has fixed dock lines, I rig fenders and also a line outside of all from the bow strongpoint to the stern cleat, left fairly slack. The purpose of this is that, having steered the boat alongside, I can hop ashore while holding this line, which gives me control of both ends of the boat, so I can move it to a point where I can get bow and stern lines on without things getting out of order. I have a loop in the fixed bow line which drops on to the strong point and one in the stern line which can drop onto a winch. Once this is done, the boat is effectively secure and I can sort out the rest at leisure.

The only other comment I'd have is that singlehanding teaches you to slow down, do things in sequence and to work out your procedures. I enjoy it as I feel it has improved my ability as a skipper and this carries over into more normal sailing.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
There is really one rule; plan EVERYTHING. There are very few tasks that are difficult if you break them down and do them one step at a time. The older I get, the easier single-handing has become, not because I am stronger or even smarter, but because I plan things better. Never rush, and never do anything in a way that takes two people.

And because I've made most of the common mistakes... perhaps more than once.

Zing

Visit site
Get a good autopilot as a priority. It’s another crew member. I was out today solo. I wanted to hand steer a beat and feather the main at the same time. Can’t be done on my heavy boat. I need both hands on the wheel. None left therefore for other jobs. I had to hit the autopilot button to escape an ugly mess.

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
Sailing single or shorthanded is fine if you have sorted things to make it easier. However, when something breaks or goes wrong, then you could be in trouble. My mantra was always to be asking myself - what if? If you envisage all the things that could go wrong and have back up systems and plans in place, then if anything does happen, you are ready for it. That way you can avoid a mishap turning into a tragedy.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Carry a spare autopilot. If using Raymarine non-waterproof ones, make that three. Likewise the gps.

Don't be too proud to abort a passage when something stops working. little failures can align to become big ones.

Have a large mouthed thermos flask full of your preferred pre-cooked glop. Wear oilskins & rubber gloves when handling saucepans of food - I once hit an unexpectedly pointy wave and I and the pan went up then down, leaving the curry it had contained in midair. This resulted in a nasty scald which could easily have been debilitating. Fill tea cups etc in the sink with your hands well away. Make sure the first aid kit is easily accessible.

Learn how to use levers and to construct handy billys. likewise know your knots, e.g. rolling hitches. Carry the rope & pulleys necessary to do so.

Carry an alarm clock/timer. Use it.

Keep the plb in your pocket on a piece of string.

Prepare dock lines well ahead. A midships line with a loop on the end and a tickle of power can save a lot of frantic running about. Park the autopilot with the helm hard over to the appropriate side so that you can lock the tiller while you sort out the rest of the lines, or go below and put the kettle on.

alant

Visit site
Can I start a thread to pool knowledge and ideas for single handed sailing? What would your best advice our suggestion be on matters such as cockpit/line management, anchoring, reefing, mooring/berthing, safety etc. I've been single handing for years but love to hear other peoples recommendations and discoveries that would make life easier and safer.

Primary consideration, is to stay on the boat, so make sure you cannot go MOB.
All activities after that become secondary.
On a more practical consideration, when I started sailing in the Bristol Channel (fast tides) in a small yacht, mooring onto a buoy was the problem, so I made sure that I had lines lead back from the bow to the cockpit, so not needing to go forward & still able to have control of steerage/outboard.

wooslehunter

Visit site
+1 for PLAN EVERYTHING. Ask marinas when you check in on VHF which side to rig the lines.

If things are not going to plan when anchoring, berthing etc, bail out early & try again. Don't be embarrassed by trying again in marinas. Its far more embarrassing if you mess up completely & hit something.

IMO, picking up my mooring in wind is probably the most difficult thing to do single handed. Once the boat stops, the bow blows off. So its essential to stop right into wind. If multiple tries fail, I rig a line from the bow. I have a great gizmo called a Moor Fast boat hook that easily enables me to get a line through a mooring loop. Once the line is on, I can take time in getting the chain sorted. It's rare I have to use this on my mooring but it's useful on others where there's just a ring on the buoy.

Know your boat & practice. Mine kicks the stern to stbd when going astern. That's great for berthing. It's no good at all for getting off, so I don't just think about getting into a berth but also how you're going to get out. The center line trick is a must when the wind's blowing off. I rig from the boat's center cleat to a winch. then just throw the line over the mooring cleat & pull it in on the winch. Once secure, I motor ahead with the rudder to steer the bow in. No need to use any power; engine idle is fine. The boat holds to the pontoon & I can take time to sort the bow & stern lines.

I don't have an anchor windlass so pulling the hook takes time sometimes. If don't anchor when I know the wind & current will be strong when I want to leave. That's just planning. If there is wind & current, then puling the hook just takes time. Motor forward, go forward & pull some chain. Go back, motor forward ....... repeat. Be prepared to get the hook up quickly once it's free of the bottom otherwise you can drift back lots. So, prepare - don't anchor in deep water. If your favorite spot is deep, find another or anchor where it's OK to drift back while pulling the last of the chain.