single line reefing

rigpigpaul

Visit site
Hi all
I have been reading an advert for a boat with Single Line Reefing. which can easily be handled by two people.What is single line reefing? My last boat had three reefs in the main and had to be handled from the mast.
Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatless

Visit site
There are a few variations, but basically...

A line is tied off under the aft boom, up through leech cringle and back down to sheave in boom end. From there forwards to a block, imagine for now halfway along inside of boom. From that back to aft end of boom and tied off internally in the end fitting. Now, attached to that block is another block. A line is tied to the luff reef cringle, down into a sheave at fwd top of boom, back to the aforementioned block in boom, forwards again to a sheave on front bottom of boom, down to deck block and back to cockpit.

Pulling on that line pulls on both the luff cringle and the block inside the boom, which pulls the leech cringle. In practise, whichever is the easier to pull moves first.

You can also 2:1 the luff by leading the luff reef line up, through the cringle and tie at gooseneck. It's also helpful to have a fairlead to hold the luff reef forwards of the sheave and as close to mast as possible.

Does it work? Yes, very well. More friction? Yes. Downside, pulling a reef out when the wind is light means a trip forward to pull yards of string out. When it's windy it shakes itself out easily.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lotteryloser

Visit site
Yes, a line per reef as normal. Had this system on a sunsail flotilla and it is much easier in my opinion, not least of all that no-one has to go to the mast in conditions they would rather not!

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatless

Visit site
Paul, 'fraid so, but quite a few boats go for just two really deep reefs. In conjunction, a 'flattener' which is a mini, say 9", reef at leech only. Combined with cunningham it does roughly what a cruising first reef would do - flattens and depowers considerably. Still a 3rd line to cockpit (and 4th with cunningham, although winch not needed for this, just a jammer). There may be a point at which the boom becomes too small for three double blocks to pass each other if, as luck would have it, they ever reached the same point at the same time.

This all assumes you are speccing out a new boat, and aren't trying to fit to an existing sail of course....

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

roly_voya

Visit site
I have just installed and finally got working a two line reefing system (seperate lines for tack and clew so no blocks inthe mast, its a conventional slab system but lead back to the cockpit) It works well, ie I can put a reef in quickly from the cockpit on any point of sail (but do need to sheet main in close to reduce load when running. I would make 2 suggestions first forget doubling through cringles it adds more rope and I found I got so much friction it was actually easier whithout it especially when taking a reel out. Second, clear ALL obstructions from above the boom including mast gate fsatening if the sail can snag it will and you then need to keep going forward to clear it. Third I did not go for single line because of all the tack inside the boom, looked like a recipy for tangles especiall if you go straight from none to second reef in a hurry as you then have yards of slack in the first reef lines. Have you thought how you will clear it if the blocks jam in the middle of the boom? with a 2 line system the worst likely to happen is that a line breaks and you loose that reef only.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
We too have a 2 line 3 reef system controllable from the cockpit and it is excellent. Reef tack lines go directly on the sail, not doubled through cringles, these lines have no load during reefing and don't need a winch. The Reef clew lines are doubled through the cringles in order to provide the correct downward and aftward pull directions. I have seen some neat little blocks that fit into the sail cringles (clamp from both sides) and give a roller for the reef lines to run over, they are in the Plastimo catalogue I think.

2 line has less friction and no in-boom blocks to jam, the amount of line involved is the same but in twice as many pieces (ie 3 feefs = 6 lines) and twice as many clutches are needed but IMHO it is a far better system. Most of the in-boom systems can only handle 2 reefs rather than 3 so they have to be bigger or you have an extra one externally.

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

roly_voya

Visit site
Forgot the bit about getting the right angle for the tack, I attached a bow shackle to the reefing hook and led line through it which has the same effect as gong through the cringle and down to the boom. I would have tried blocks but couldn't get any

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Yes I thought of that, possibly with a small block too but worried about chafe on the sail and overload on a small block. The cringle blocks from Plastimo I saw would be fail safe as the line still goes through the cringle. As I think you said it is taking a reef OUT where friction is a real pain, you can winch a reef in but cannot winch it out, and friction has to be real problem with single line systems.

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>