Silver Dee, mark 2, Aquastar 74.

Firefly625

Visit site
very very nice jfm, and I know it will just get better over the winter. Your boat changing regularity has obviously rubbed off on your brother, great stuff.

...Actually, Match 2's getting a bit long in the tooth now surely?

DTIM

Visit site
Great looking boat, looking forward to more pictures. Regarding the 'expanding fleet' I'm still hoping for a Delta 80 custom build thread!!!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Coming to a pontoon near you soon mike :) He has agreed terms to buy a 23x6 on quai one, opposite you, about 5 boats off your stbd bow. Great price, no availability on mole sud, and he is happy with quai 1. Happy days

Another boat I have to avoid clouting on the way in/out then, along with yours of course;)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Great looking boat, looking forward to more pictures. Regarding the 'expanding fleet' I'm still hoping for a Delta 80 custom build thread!!!

After this thread it has to be the new Aquastar 85 surely;)

jfm

Visit site
The performance seemed noteworthy. Must be getting on for the same tonnage as Match2 and a less slinky underwater profile and, of course, smaller engines.
I was expecting perhaps 17/18kts WOT but I saw with my own eyes that she held 19.9-20.1 for a full ten minutes on the GPS. No tide - it was outside palma harbour - and the sea was flat. Ex-owner had diver down the day before to clean the hull and props, presumably because he didn't want it to fail the sea trial. I reckon she has an efficient hull shape and very well done to n that.

Actually I don't think aquastars are as heavily built as the styling might lead you to think: she isn't a heavy boat and no brickshithouse inspired the build. She is perfectly ok, but not ice class. Her layup and general scantlings are in the FairPrinSeek bracket, which is perfectly fine, and getting 20 knots occasionally from 2x 800hp in a 74 footer dragging fins, while also allowing very comfortable D speed cruising (which Silver Dee wants) is very good indeed for a family cruising boat.

Aquastar do plenty of things well, but far from everything, and some things would drive you crazy even if you were only a mild perfectionist plenty of them will be taken out in the refit

A very appealing feature of the design is that the patio doors are kept forward, meaning that the aft deck is huge. This is excellent for outside living and the very opposite of the annoying trend (on Princesses in particular) to pull the doors aft to make a great saloon (appealing at boat shows of course) but tiny aft deck. The flybridge is also huge, with a big dining table. The swim platform is nice and big, for the kids to play on and the garage will probably become a toys+dive centre. As a boat to live on and hang out on she is excellent, due to these great outside spaces. I love the boat and I think he will have a great time on it.

I'll get some pics (drone maybe) at the weekend. Right now he is underway and at the Dragonera corner top left of Mallorca about to hang a right and take a straight line to Antibes. The boat is running very well and he has an excellent delivery team on board

jfm

Visit site
After this thread it has to be the new Aquastar 85 surely;)
Hmmm, nope. The build quality is perfectly ok, but no more. I've seen their m/y Trafalgar up close too. I don't think I'd choose this yard to chuck 5 bar at to build a "final special boat for retirement"

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Hmmm, nope. The build quality is perfectly ok, but no more. I've seen their m/y Trafalgar up close too. I don't think I'd choose this yard to chuck 5 bar at to build a "final special boat for retirement"

Actually it would be interesting to hear more of your thoughts on Aquastar build generally because, as you say, they do trade off that pilot boat brick shithouse image. What about the engineering? Sounds like you crawled all over that?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Haha - don't dare clout!
Sorry that mine sticks out a bit, being on a corner.
(Not that sorry though!:encouragement:)

Actually I have more of a problem with the Sq78 next door. Because his passarelle is exactly opposite his electricity box he ties his boat up on the skew and squeezes my berth as a result

jfm

Visit site
How about a custom Fleming 78 (http://www.flemingyachts.com/fleming78.html) with its latest traditional 'look' flybridge (not the flybridge layout in the pic), or a Nordhavn 78 (http://www.nordhavn.com/models/78/)?
The fleming is beautifully built and on my mental list but I'd want to make a heck of a lot of design changes. When they have a space that they cant figure out what to do with, they just stick a plywood box there, chuck a cushion and top, and create a random bench seat that cant be used for any kind of conversation. They really need help with their 78 layout. Build quality = awesome of course

I love the nordhavn 78 and 86, with a custom interior look to make it a bit more contemporary. Could only do this or fleming in retirement (5 yrs for me) due to the time needed to be spent in Taiwan/China

Fairline new 8x is also on my list. That is just vapourware currently but will be very special if they build it. It is nothing like PrinSeek 80-odd footers

First world problems, and I'm keeping my current boat for a while.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
The fleming is beautifully built and on my mental list but I'd want to make a heck of a lot of design changes. When they have a space that they cant figure out what to do with, they just stick a plywood box there, chuck a cushion and top, and create a random bench seat that cant be used for any kind of conversation. They really need help with their 78 layout. Build quality = awesome of course

I love the nordhavn 78 and 86, with a custom interior look to make it a bit more contemporary. Could only do this or fleming in retirement (5 yrs for me) due to the time needed to be spent in Taiwan/China

Fairline new 8x is also on my list. That is just vapourware currently but will be very special if they build it. It is nothing like PrinSeek 80-odd footers

First world problems, and I'm keeping my current boat for a while.

If I had to choose twixt Fleming and Nordhavn, a key influencer would be customer service. As you know, Tony Fleming sold out last year (or before?) and my experience hasn't been top notch since then. Mind you, the UK Dealer is really helpful, but it's the backup that seems to have faded somewhat.

jfm

Visit site
Pic from delivery trip. Andraitx/Santa Ponsa area I think.

Flag is Guernsey btw

netty%20elaine%20andraitx.jpg

BartW

www.amptec.be
Congratulations !
really nice timeless little ship, absolutely my taste.

6y ago when choosing our Canados, I had a look at Aquastar, but nothing available within budget at the time
and I felt a bit too young for a SD boat :)
coincidently last week, I dumped all the nice AS brochures I'd got from the manufacturer in the bin.

interesting rebuild project on hand, similar like mine,
except the M brothers probably want all (or most of it) to be done in one winter !?
pls keep us updated