Sillic Antifoul on prop and outdrive - remove or renew ??

Chi Man

Visit site
Hi All, I have what appears to be a sllic antifoul applied to my prop and outdrive, another boat owner confirmed this. It feels almost like a plastic coating. However it has worn off in a number of places so the outdrive and prop need re doing. I have been told I can recoat it over the old stuff but am not sure. Anybody had to do this? If I can't recoat it suspect I will have to remove it all (looks like a rotten job to do!) and go back to traditional antifoul. Any ideas/experiences/ suggestions. As always thanks in advance this forum is always been a vast fountain of knowledge, hoping someone will be able to help. Cheers David

Greg2

Visit site
I have been considering Silic for our props and shafts but have decided against it, not least because it isn’t easy to find answers to questions and reviews about efficacy appear mixed, but to be fair you can say that about anything you put on a prop!

My understanding is that you can put new Silic on old Silic but where it has worn off you might get away with touching up with new primer and tie coat before doing the lot with a new coat of Silic but to be clear that is speculation on my part and I have no experience of using it.

If you Google Silic one prop kit review YBW you find some interesting threads such as this one

superheat6k

Visit site
My experience of Silic One was excellent except on the props, where it failed within a few weeks. However, if yours haas survived I would definitely re-coat - very little will attach to it firmly. The barnacles will try but don't stay there for long.

Hot Property

Visit site
I've used Silicone One on a sports cruiser and rib. (Superheat6k saw the results and applied it to his boat as we were at the same boatyard).

Both my boats stayed afloat all year round barring engine servicing.

The Hempel website gives you all you need to know.

You can overcoat as long as you have the yellow tie coat visible.

Hugely underestimated coating and, like outboard power up to 40ft, it's the future.

So embrace it .....

Elessar

Visit site
Hi All, I have what appears to be a sllic antifoul applied to my prop and outdrive, another boat owner confirmed this. It feels almost like a plastic coating. However it has worn off in a number of places so the outdrive and prop need re doing. I have been told I can recoat it over the old stuff but am not sure. Anybody had to do this? If I can't recoat it suspect I will have to remove it all (looks like a rotten job to do!) and go back to traditional antifoul. Any ideas/experiences/ suggestions. As always thanks in advance this forum is always been a vast fountain of knowledge, hoping someone will be able to help. Cheers David
I don’t think you have any realistic way of going back to conventional coatings once you have had a silicone coating.

Hot Property

Visit site
I don’t think you have any realistic way of going back to conventional coatings once you have had a silicone coating.
Agreed, it would be costly to fully remove all traces of Silicone One.

The good news is that it's worth having so just a single coat to freshen up

I used it for 3 seasons without any recoating, the 4th year just required a touch up where logs had rubbed against it taking it down to the tie coat.

Very cost effective.