Sick Bow Thruster

jimali

Visit site
Hi

I have a Lewmar 140TT bow thruster. It thrusts for about 5 seconds then slows down. Having rested for a few moments it does the same again.

I have

Replaced the battery and it gets a good charge
Checked and remade all connections
Checked the brushes which are good
replaced the control joystick
Checked there is nothing blocking the propeller which is also clean and not touching the sides

I have run out of ideas - could it be a fauty thermal sensor

All suggestions (other than junk it and get a new one) gratefully received

Thanks

Jim

Mrnotming

Visit site
Hi Jimali.
Assume that you may have unwittingly have replaced the battery with a duff one.(not really your problem but the suppliers.What is the rated CCA and overall AMP hours?
Bring it to, or borrow a High discharge Meter which will place a big load similar to the thruster motor on the battery.It should hold the load without sinking for about 10/12 seconds.
Note: the unit is not for continuous operation.It will say in your manual what the resting time is and the on (duty cycle)time.
Plenty of brush length left and good brush springs, a spotlesss armature, and free spinning prop with everything switched off?Brushes fitting the arc of the armature, and not possible to insert them at 90 degrees across the holder, thus not leaving a void under the tip?

Solenoids: measure voltage maintained at each during operation.both input and output.Write down the values obtained.:D
is the current maintained?
Wait for VicS to come along!

Last edited: