shower discharge pump not working

hg2016

Visit site
Hello to all,
the shower discharge pump is not working on my s23. Before I fumble around and take it apart, any ideas.
thanks.

Andy Bav

Visit site
Hello to all,
the shower discharge pump is not working on my s23. Before I fumble around and take it apart, any ideas.
thanks.

Is it a combined float and pump unit or attached to a separate float switch ? When our combined unit started to play up, I had the same thoughts as you but it looked like a sealed unit, so had to replace it.

Ours is a “Sahara” (?) and had a knob on the side which you can twist which showed the unit was functional but I believe the contacts in the float mechanism were the problem, but as said, couldn’t get into it. Cost c£85 to replace.

oldgit

Visit site
Check any internal filters are not blocked.
Normally some sort of plastic mesh in there somewhere .
The impellor could also be jammed with "stuff" which has gone down shower tray drain.
If not cleaned on regular basis a real hairball can collect.
Most are square box , remove self tapping screws to release lid and investigate.
Take care not to damage seal.
While you are in there,make sure you clear inlet and exit pipes which also eventually clog up and block.

hg2016

Visit site
Check any internal filters are not blocked.
Normally some sort of plastic mesh in there somewhere .
The impellor could also be jammed with "stuff" which has gone down shower tray drain.
If not cleaned on regular basis a real hairball can collect.
Most are square box , remove self tapping screws to release lid and investigate.
Take care not to damage seal.
While you are in there,make sure you clear inlet and exit pipes which also eventually clog up and block.
Thanks chaps, I'll have a gander on saturday when I go back up. Thanks for your help.

Momac

Visit site
My shower sump pump stopped working very recently . If its an Attwood it will be exactly as yours.
Remove the screws and remove the lid and clear out the tubular filter and the sump box.

I found the pump was okay but the float switch was not making a circuit so I have replaced the float switch .
https://www.seabridge-marine.com/Float_switch_for_early_shower_sump/p2023673_10355592.aspx
However the fault could be a corroded wire/ electrical connection so don't give up o a cost free fix.

Or just replace the whole thing
https://www.seabridge-marine.com/Shower_sump_system_complete_12v_NON_OEM/p2023673_13953737.aspx

hg2016

Visit site
My shower sump pump stopped working very recently . If its an Attwood it will be exactly as yours.
Remove the screws and remove the lid and clear out the tubular filter and the sump box.

I found the pump was okay but the float switch was not making a circuit so I have replaced the float switch .
https://www.seabridge-marine.com/Float_switch_for_early_shower_sump/p2023673_10355592.aspx
However the fault could be a corroded wire/ electrical connection so don't give up o a cost free fix.

Or just replace the whole thing
https://www.seabridge-marine.com/Shower_sump_system_complete_12v_NON_OEM/p2023673_13953737.aspx
Thanks for that info MG and thanks for the link. Cost free fix would be positively dreamy. I must try and get into the habit of asking these questions when I'm actually on my boat.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
Cleaning out the shower sump box should be an annual event , possibly more often if the shower is very regularly used. I failed to take my own advice and this may have contributed to my recent issue .

Also note when testing the sump pump the domestic water pump switch must be in the on position for the sump pump to receive power.

There is a good chance the fault is a broken or corroded wire or the float switch restricted buy grotty stuff - you may need a bucket handy in which to drop the filter (the filter is a plastic tube that is cleaned out and re-used).

jct1981

Visit site
Certainly doesn't help with the cost free fix aspect, but a couple of years ago I was fed up with lifting panels to clean out an infrequently used sump pump, so replaced it with a Whale Gulper. Very happy with it. Only downside is that you have to turn it on / off. There is a version with a sensor, but I went for the cheaper option.

https://www.whalepumps.com/Marine/p...=10000&Product_ID=10037&FriendlyID=Gulper-220

JerryC

Visit site
I dont know if it makes any noise. I havent actuallt tried it. I was told on the survey that it wasnt working and most likely just needed cleaning.

You need to be aware that on most boats, probably including yours, the much mis-labelled 'shower discharge pump' is a bilge pump and float switch located in a sump box into which drains grey water not just from your showers but also from your basins. Turn the breaker on even if you haven't used the shower! And clean the sump box out monthly ... you'll be amazed what gets in there especially if you have guests on board.

Rocksteadee

Visit site
Fault finding is a series of elimination.
Operate float or fill with water ie put it in a position it should run: does it run, make a noise, vibrate or do nothing
If it runs does it pump,? if not, possible blocked strainer, impeller jammed with hair
If it does not run, check if supply to float, if ok faulty float.
No supply, faulty electrics, sell boat

hg2016

Visit site
You need to be aware that on most boats, probably including yours, the much mis-labelled 'shower discharge pump' is a bilge pump and float switch located in a sump box into which drains grey water not just from your showers but also from your basins. Turn the breaker on even if you haven't used the shower! And clean the sump box out monthly ... you'll be amazed what gets in there especially if you have guests on board.
Fortunately my galley sink drains straight out and I think the basin in the toilet does too. But I will check this at the weekend. Following your advice, when I get to the bottom of the problem I will be carrying out a regular cleaning schedule.Thanks for your help.

hg2016

Visit site
Fault finding is a series of elimination.
Operate float or fill with water ie put it in a position it should run: does it run, make a noise, vibrate or do nothing
If it runs does it pump,? if not, possible blocked strainer, impeller jammed with hair
If it does not run, check if supply to float, if ok faulty float.
No supply, faulty electrics, sell boat
Thanks,I will check all these things but I think 'sell the boat' might be a little hasty.

Rocksteadee

Visit site
Would be nice if it was 3years old but its 15. I'll have a good look at everything at the weekend. Thanks.

Must have got my threads mixed up.
At 15 years I would expect elec probs.
Check the connections to the pump and float, if float is not integral there will be 3.....neg to pump, pos to float and switched pos from float to pump.
They should be soldered and sealed with glue lined heat shrink.
I have found anything from just crimped connectors (automotive) to choc bloc to worst one was 2 untinned wires twisted together with a bit of insulating tape wrapped round.

CX54WEK

Visit site
Chuck some boiling water down the shower drain. It is most probably just full of old soap and crud that needs flushing through. They need to be cleaned out on a regular basis.