dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
or even show me your gaff

ell I have a mast and a gaff

a lot of halyard rope and a lot of pullies

the gaff has a wire running up it, a single pully that runs along the wire

at the mid point the wire passes through an eye on the back of the gaff

no real idea as to how to assemble it

does anyone have any images or urls that could help me to work out how it should all come together

might save me some time

Dylan

Last edited:

fluffc

Visit site
John Leather's 'Gaff Rig' is what you need - or Des Sleightholm's 'Hand, Reef and Sail'.

Shame that we don't have classic boaters forum any more on here :-( They'd be able to help...

prv

Visit site
John Leather's 'Gaff Rig' is what you need

I have that; it's an interesting book but not really all that much practical use. I expected something called "The Gaff Rig Handbook" to be all about how to rig and use a gaffer, and it does have a couple of chapters of that at the beginning, but the majority of the book is a historical account of various traditional craft from around the UK, US, and France.

or Des Sleightholm's 'Hand, Reef and Sail'.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Tom Cunliffe's "Hand, Reef and Steer"?

That's more of a practical book, although not sure how relevant it will be to Dylan's gunter rig.

Pete

fergie_mac66

Visit site
she is a sliding gunter
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/icarai/sailboats-classic-day-sailers-sliding-gunter-33575-219918.html

the halyard arrangmt

usually has 2 halyards one going to the slide on the gaff and one the throat that goes to the mast end of the gaff

one of the pics here might be of help

http://www.thecheappages.com/odd/tiphys.html

the throat halyard often has a 2 part purchase on it.The halyard starts at an eye partway up the mast(just below the mid mast sheave) down to a pulley on the mast end(throat) of the gaff then back up to the mast sheave halfway up the mast then back down to the mast cleat.
The peak halyard goes from the slide to the top of mast sheave and down to the cleat
The throat halyard takes the full weight of the gaff hence the 2 part
The peak can have a 2 part on sometimes ..

Last edited:

prv

Visit site

fergie_mac66

Visit site
On the westerly 22 gunter the halyard are led back to the cockpit with a roller (also back to the cockpit ) so you can reef without leaving the cockpit

edit just a matter of slacking the throat halyard the gaff slides down then taking the bunt of the sail up with the roller line

barnaclephill

Visit site

dylanwinter

slack-ish

That shows gaff rig, but it's not clear to me that Dylan's rig actually is gaff. Two things that would help determine this is whether there is a throat halyard (attached to or near the gaff jaws) and whether the wire on the gaff is tight along it, for something to simply slide up and down, or with enough slack to form a gaff span.

Pete

the wire is pretty slack and is pinched into the gaff at the mid point by a simple eye

throat halyard

what I need to do is to lay it all out on the lawn as soon as I have screwed the bits back on

D

dylanwinter

very good indeed

Here Dylan: http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u367/boatscans/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

and I'll continue the rest of the 45 scans I have of sails the rest of this evening. Not all on gaffs though.

I got a whole lot of back issues lately, and scanned the most relevant (to me) bits.
Enjoy.

very good - well done on those

blimey.... what a lot of stuff to learn

stupidly I thought I had a experience with a gunter as we had a Mirror dinghy at one time and I also used to sail a heron

different game here

D

Fantasie 19

Visit site
or even show me your gaff

ell I have a mast and a gaff

a lot of halyard rope and a lot of pullies

the gaff has a wire running up it, a single pully that runs along the wire

at the mid point the wire passes through an eye on the back of the gaff

no real idea as to how to assemble it

does anyone have any images or urls that could help me to work out how it should all come together

might save me some time

Dylan

...I'm still trying to understand why your faffing around with wood, varnish and all the rest of it when I thought you said the boat came with a bermudan rig, which was ready to go.... ;)

...even more mystified as to why she isn't in the water yet...... :D

dylanwinter

faffing

...I'm still trying to understand why your faffing around with wood, varnish and all the rest of it when I thought you said the boat came with a bermudan rig, which was ready to go.... ;)

...even more mystified as to why she isn't in the water yet...... :D

if a sailor is not allowed to Faff then what is there left in life.

That aside....the gunter will sell more disks and those American will get very confused if they see the same boat first with a Bermudan and then with a gaff

as for not being in the water.....

got to sell the slug to buy the outboard to use in the Minstrel

so if anyone want a slug for £1500

also PBO are also going to use the boat for some comparisons of different 5hp long shaft outboards with charging power

which should be really intersting and help me to choose which one to buy once I have sold the slug

however, if this bloke

http://www.aboatformypotplants.blogspot.co.uk/

can blag one for a boat where he grows pot plants

Dylan

I am

Fantasie 19

Visit site

maxcampbell

Me - village in south cambs. Boat - Brightlingsea
www.youtube.com
Should be image of detail of my rig attached.

Throat halyard attaches to mast end of gaff, at a fixed point.

Peak halyard usually(?) goes to a block floating along the gaff on a strop, so the pulling angle sorts itself out when reefed.

Tension throat first, then peak up to get required shape.

Not all that clear, but throat halyard is 2 part purchase attached to mast near spreaders.

Last edited: