Should I stay or should I go?

Landale

Visit site
Currently in Aberystwyth where I'm paying about £3090 IIRC pa - it is fairly close, the staff are good but other than basic facilities there are none readily nearby. Also no secure store and with developments - parking & boat storage which is already limited, likely IMHO to become more so.

Milford Haven - about £1862 which represents a significant saving although it is about a couple of hours drive on a bad day rather than 30 mins.

However the other pluses are:

A more interesting sailing area - not lee shore harbours that are close to dried up
Better facilities - secure storage 24hr onsite security and regular gate code changes
boat maintenance firms nearby
drinking and eating places by the marina rather than having to trek into town.

Milford is not going to have the harbour buildings converted into a magistrates and county court with all that that might bring (rather than hotel, cafe etc etc) - parking storage, security etc.

Those at Milford seem to be happy.

would I be nuts not to move?

Ludd

Visit site
Apart from distance,it seems to be all winwin.
Never been to Aberwotsit,been to Aberdeen---cold!

Spent a few weeks in Milford Haven waiting for a weather window----friendly staff,friendly town,sheltered sailing,lots of anchorages around.
Like everywhere with a harbour,all the shops are at the top of the hill!

Excellent chandler---if they haven't got,they'll get it for you.

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
Currently in Aberystwyth where I'm paying about £3090 IIRC pa - it is fairly close, the staff are good but other than basic facilities there are none readily nearby. Also no secure store and with developments - parking & boat storage which is already limited, likely IMHO to become more so.

Milford Haven - about £1862 which represents a significant saving although it is about a couple of hours drive on a bad day rather than 30 mins.

A more interesting sailing area - not lee shore harbours that are close to dried up
Better facilities - secure storage 24hr onsite security and regular gate code changes

Milford is not going to have the harbour buildings converted into a magistrates and county court with all that that might bring (rather than hotel, cafe etc etc) - parking storage, security etc.

I did it, moved from Pwllheli to Milford. Used to take me up to 2 hours to get to P, now takes me up to 4 hours to M on a bad day. Sailing is excellent, you can do sheltered in the Haven or go outside as you wish.
We go every 2 weeks now instead of every week. The lock is going to be altered to allow locking on demand, at the mo there is a window at lo water where you cant get out. Marina P for mine £4400, M is £2200.
Plus if you get some one to take a contract in M they give you a discount on your rates!
Name is Stu Davies, boat Sacha if ive persuaded you!!
Stu

Landale

Visit site
Apart from distance,it seems to be all winwin.
Never been to Aberwotsit,been to Aberdeen---cold!

Spent a few weeks in Milford Haven waiting for a weather window----friendly staff,friendly town,sheltered sailing,lots of anchorages around.
Like everywhere with a harbour,all the shops are at the top of the hill!

Excellent chandler---if they haven't got,they'll get it for you.

Yep, I think you're right - I've been of the opinion that it is seriously over priced for awhile - the prices. Pwllheli is about £3.6k and I guess Aber' is priced to be better than that - forgetting that there are places just over the hill.

Neyland upper has roughly the same access as Aber' and is under £2k as well - prone to midges IIRC though.

Landale

Visit site
I did it, moved from Pwllheli to Milford. Used to take me up to 2 hours to get to P, now takes me up to 4 hours to M on a bad day. Sailing is excellent, you can do sheltered in the Haven or go outside as you wish.
We go every 2 weeks now instead of every week. The lock is going to be altered to allow locking on demand, at the mo there is a window at lo water where you cant get out. Marina P for mine £4400, M is £2200.
Plus if you get some one to take a contract in M they give you a discount on your rates!
Name is Stu Davies, boat Sacha if ive persuaded you!!
Stu

Thanks, I think you've made my mind up - Aber' is probably worth ca £1500 tops if I compare it with other places maybe less - time to look round properly.

alant

Visit site

Is this actually Milford haven, or Neyland?

In the harbour, you can sail almost 365, + trips up the lovely river past Neyland.
I'd move!

Landale

Visit site
Check if local yobs are a problem.
Neyland is a bit more civilised/secure, but not close to supermarkets/other 'town' amenities.

Will do, one of my concerns with Aber' is that the presence of the courts in the marina building will bring the marina and boats in the readily accessible area to the attention of the local yobs.

From what I can gather - yobs aren't a problem at Milford - but I need to ask about a little more.

I quite like Neyland - but I take the point about town amenities.

Heckler

Visit site
Will do, one of my concerns with Aber' is that the presence of the courts in the marina building will bring the marina and boats in the readily accessible area to the attention of the local yobs.

From what I can gather - yobs aren't a problem at Milford - but I need to ask about a little more.

I quite like Neyland - but I take the point about town amenities.
Ive been there since March, no probs with yobs, my bro used to have a pub in Neyland, reckons it was a fighting den!
Stu

tico

Visit site
Milford.. nearer to amenities (Tescos, quite a few restaurants/bars), constrained by lock altho they are promising to fit an attitional pair of gates to increase frequency, can be windy, closer to open water / Dale, parking near to boat can be a problem, leccy cheaper, wifi chargable.

Neyland... upper basin access +/-3 hrs roughly (3' draught), very sheltered, bar/restaurant/cafe/chandlers on site. lower basin access 24hrs but more spensive, security good, parking close to boat, leccy more expensive, wifi free, closer to quiet upper river but farther from open sea/Dale/beach, no probs with yobs.

PM if you have any specific queries.

Stu... which pub? Coburg? or Admiral Benbow?

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
No yobs in Milford Haven, but you would have to screw everything down tight in Neyland :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-11062264

The B******S that do such things don't deserve to live on the same planet that IB did, let alone have the benefit of the metal they nicked in his statue.
Didn't they used to use the birch, cat of nine tails on 'tealeves'. What's this b****y country coming to???
We surely can't be punishing anybody any more, too much d**n soft sentencing or even no sentencing at all.
Zero tolerance i say, put them into hard labour and make them build some roads or dig some resevoirs or something useful!!! If they wont don't, work don't feed em!

Aaaaagggghhh!

thats better!
I'd say move to MH.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
The B******S that do such things don't deserve to live on the same planet that IB did, let alone have the benefit of the metal they nicked in his statue.
Didn't they used to use the birch, cat of nine tails on 'tealeves'. What's this b****y country coming to???
We surely can't be punishing anybody any more, too much d**n soft sentencing or even no sentencing at all.
Zero tolerance i say, put them into hard labour and make them build some roads or dig some resevoirs or something useful!!! If they wont don't, work don't feed em!

Aaaaagggghhh!

thats better!
I'd say move to MH.

In these days of co-operation with Russia maybe we could pay them to restart the gulags and export the vermin, when caught to siberia. Ticks a lot of boxes no need to build prisons , The gulags would probably be a lot cheaper than prisons here, somehow doubt there would be much tendency to re offend after a couple of winters in siberia!

Landale

Visit site
Thanks everybody, you have convinced me :) - Aber' really is to expensive for what it offers.

Once I've made my mind up over Milford or Neyland - my preference is Milford - I have an interesting winter project planning the passage which I guess will be sometime in March as I'm paid up until 31/3/12.

Thanks all.

alant

Visit site
Thanks everybody, you have convinced me :) - Aber' really is to expensive for what it offers.

Once I've made my mind up over Milford or Neyland - my preference is Milford - I have an interesting winter project planning the passage which I guess will be sometime in March as I'm paid up until 31/3/12.

Thanks all.

Do you have to 'lock out' in Milford?

Visit site
I was amazed when passing through to hear the prices of Pwhelli and Aber, Aber particularly since it really is in the middle of nowhere and ought therefore to be real cheap.

Go south or north young man - anywhere is better than Aber as a base. I quite like Milford and the Bristol channel.

Coaster

Visit site

We've been berthed in Milford Marina since 2009, having previously used Milford Docks intermittently for about 10 years. We like it very much, for the reasons stated by others in this thread.

Yobs have not been a problem on the pontoons. The code-operated gates seem to keep them out. There are noisy teenagers about at times, especially Friday and Saturday nights. The greatest noise occurs at the Eastern end of the marina so I'd avoid pontoons A & B. We're on the W side of Pontoon C, about half way along, and have never had a significant problem with noise.

At the W end boats on G & H pontoons can be affected by noise from fishing boats and other craft moving around at night. So I suggest you try to get a berth about half way along on C,D,E or F.

One reason we like Milford is that it's a proper port with a full range of activities and amenities. If you overwinter out of the water the yard (actually 3 in total) is excellent. The 16 ton capacity boat hoist works well. I speak from very recent experience, having been lifted out this morning! I'm typing this whilst eating lunch on the boat in the yard.

Sorry I didn't respond to your questions earlier. If you have any more confidential questions PM me or any of the others, with boats here, that have posted.

Good luck with your move.

P.S. don't be too much influenced by the claims of the "Pembrokeshire Marine Group" that became involved with the running of the marina this year. It remains to be seen which of its plans come to fruition.