Should I buy Dubarry boots?

Adios

Visit site
There doesn’t seem to be any sign that they have even noticed, let alone taken action. Did they change hands, or were they always greedy idle bastards?
according to wiki they switched production entirely to Portugal in 2004 yet still charge many hundreds for a pair of boots, surely they didn't need to do that to their previous staff to still make a modest profit. So greedy bastards certainly. Can't know if they had a change of material, a bad batch for a while, and went back now or not.

These boots are mainly for the commercial fishing market and sometimes come up on ebay for around £50. le chameau punch a small hole near the top rim of the upper to denote seconds Le Chameau Marinord Evo Boot Men's I would say the very flat sole might be better for a very flat fishing boat deck than on a healed yacht. Just noticed they have some seconds for £29 here Le Chameau Marinord Evo Boot Men’s Seconds for small feet though

I used to think the breathability of leather boats was why they were warmer but having had some lined Aigle wellies which I wear with very thick mohair socks, which aren't breathable at all, I don't think breathable is essential. I'd go for some of these next time. https://www.lechameau.com/men-s-alize-neoprene-lined-boot-10579

Stemar

Visit site
I just wore my Dubarrys for the first time in a few years today and they've joined the club of lost soles :mad:

So, time for replacements. I like the look of the Chameax, but the leather ones are a bit rich for me, and I'm not a fan of rubber boots. Nosing around the Internet, I came across these:

Orca Bay Storm Boot

Anyone got any experience of them - good or bad?

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I just wore my Dubarrys for the first time in a few years today and they've joined the club of lost soles :mad:

So, time for replacements. I like the look of the Chameax, but the leather ones are a bit rich for me, and I'm not a fan of rubber boots. Nosing around the Internet, I came across these:

Orca Bay Storm Boot

Checked my Dubes today. Soles still in perfect condition ?

Boathook

Visit site

Orca Bay Storm Boot

The orca Bay look similar to mine. Will have to get into the loft and have a look and edit post ...

Edit. They are MainDeck. Quite a few years old, possibly 10 and sole is still flexible and grippy. I replaced the inner sole with Scholl ones which made the boots a lot more comfortable. The material is a kind of leather with a fabric liner.

MainDeck Boot Sole.jpg MainDeck Boot.jpg

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
The orca Bay look similar to mine. Will have to get into the loft and have a look and edit post ...

Edit. They are MainDeck. Quite a few years old, possibly 10 and sole is still flexible and grippy. I replaced the inner sole with Scholl ones which made the boots a lot more comfortable. The material is a kind of leather with a fabric liner.

View attachment 148873 View attachment 148874

They look very similar to these "Fypper" boots, French manufacturer Botalo.
I have one pair and really like them, except the boot neck is a bit tight (or I have too bulky ankles).
fypper.jpg

Rappey

Visit site
Now to decide whether I'm better off paying £115 for a repair to the Dubarry boots or £180 for new Orca Bay ones. Thoughts welcome
Orca Bay! They will only owe you 180.
Dubarry- £300 plus another £115 to repair the sub standard junk they call Soles and what's more scary is they use genuine dubarry parts so you just know they will dissolve and fall apart again.
I spoke to a shoe repair shop, the moment I mentioned dubarry he became a little aggressive and said he won't touch them or timberland.
Strange how dubarry and timberland are the only brand in my life that I've had the soles crumble. Every other piece of footwear has just worn through.

So I'm thinking about trying to re-glue my dubarry soles. Came across "shoe goo" glue which by many accounts is raved about and sticks a great many things with immense flexibility and strength.
Between the leather boot base and the rubbery sole is something that appears to be some sort of a aeriated rubbery/foam layer. This is what is crumbling.
Water gets into it and some are hydroscopic and it fails.
I can only think of layers and layers of glued leather to fill in the gap between the sole and the base of the boot ? Maybe shape it with silicon sealant or ct1 :unsure: or just give up. It's onlyone boot that has a problem. The other seems fine but for how long ?

Attachments

• 20230112_211331.jpg
    20230112_211331.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
Dubarry- £300 plus another £115 to repair
I've already paid for the boots, so it's "only" the £115, and they don't use the same material as Dubarry did for the midsole, which is the bit that crumbles.

I can't imagine paying £300 for any sort of boots, mine were £200 at the time, but I got them for half price when the chandlers at Haslar was closing down.

I still haven't made up my mind!

Stemar

Visit site
Well, I tried on a pair of Orca Bays and they felt more comfortable than my Dubarrys had ever been, so I handed over the plastic. First impressions are very favourable, as the heavens opened when I was putting Jazzcat to bed on Sunday and the flubber had an inch or so of water rowing back, but my feet stayed warm and dry.

Interestingly, they needed to be a full size larger than I normally take. OK, I had thick socks on, but it did surprise me.

Gixer

Visit site
UPDATE - I bought them before Christmas and have worn a few times. They are perfect, time will tell on the soles, I will keep you guys updated :)

Rappey

Visit site
I was a little bored and decided to see how great ct1 really is.

Used a wire brush in an angle grinder to remove all the midsole.

Filled up the void with ct1, put the two halves together and just waiting for it to cure before Going out for a test walk.
Not holding my breath but one never knows?

Attachments

• 20230112_211331.jpg
    20230112_211331.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230117_102802.jpg
    20230117_102802.jpg
    989.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230117_102820.jpg
    20230117_102820.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230117_102827.jpg
    20230117_102827.jpg
    841.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230117_102844.jpg
    20230117_102844.jpg
    930.3 KB · Views: 18

janeK

Visit site
Yes the same. Very old but hardly used pair. I got them out and after wearing them for a short while the heel disintegrated. View attachment 148117
The boots can be returned to Dubarry and they will replace the sole for you. This happened to my pair a few years back, cost me £65 and not only did they replace the sole but the Gortex lining in the boots too. Ive had my boots 12+ years and they are still good and probably the best piece of kit I've owned FYI.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I was a little bored and decided to see how great ct1 really is.

Used a wire brush in an angle grinder to remove all the midsole.

Filled up the void with ct1, put the two halves together and just waiting for it to cure before Going out for a test walk.
Not holding my breath but one never knows?
I will watch with interest, as I have just rediscovered my old Murphy&Nye Team New Zealand boots, with the detaching sole, in the bottom of my wardrobe.