shore power plug wiring

emandvee44

Visit site
cefco_cxn633p240c67.jpg

Single phase Connexs 63A 2P+E 230V Coupler IP67
63A 2 Pin + Earth 230V Coupler IP67

Does the Marina outlet end look like this? (Obviously not the body).
Yes, and the adaptor lead I have on loan from the marina has a plug as in my pics, which is why I bought one the same .
M .

Trident

Visit site
2.5mm wire has a rating - normally 29 Amps with multi strand tinned cable
That rating is advisory in that it can change depending on many factors (open or in conduit for example)
That rating will reduce with length and shore power cables are generally long
If coiled or in the sun or both it will get hotter and have more resistance
Good for 16 amps sure, but if you have a fault or too many appliances on etc and can draw all 63 amps from the box the cable will act as a long fuse by melting.
You have got the plug figured now by the sound of it but you really must have a 16amp trip in the pontoon box - a standard MCB "trip switch" is about £5 and takes about 10 minutes to fit but it would have to be done by the marina of course - if they object explain that they are the first line of claim for every boat on the pontoon you may set alight...

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
Late to this thread I'm afraid, but two things.
Despite what many have said this is a two pole and Earth 63A Single Phase Plug.
It only mates with a matching socket, when it provides safety shrouding of the main pins by use of the pilot pin.

As so much, sometimes dangerous misinformation has been given particularly about 3 phase identification, might I ask the entire thread be deleted for safety ?

K

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
It only mates with a matching socket, when it provides safety shrouding of the main pins by use of the pilot pin.

As so much, sometimes dangerous misinformation has been given particularly about 3 phase identification, might I ask the entire thread be deleted for safety ?

K

If you feel strongly about it, click on the small bell icon, bottom left corner of the text box, where it says "Report". Give your reasons and and then submit. The moderators do read and act if the argument is robust.

VicS

Visit site

K

If this is a this is a two pole and Earth 63A Single Phase Plug why are the terminals marked L1 L2 and L3 ? ( In #1 the Op says "The connectors of the 63 Amp plug are marked L1 L2 L3 )

What he needs is a plug with the 3 phases + neutral + earth, of which he will need to use one of the phases, the neutral and the earth.

superheat6k

Visit site

K
The markings on this plug are very clearly L1, L2 and L3 - these are the standard harmonised phase markings for a 3 phase 400 vac supply, and this is an EU wide harmonisation, established when the UK was still a Member state. None are marked neutral and only an idiot would manufacture an item with a pin marked both for L2 and PE (protective earth). The extended connector is commonly used for the PE on other similar Commando plugs.

When I issued my first response I did click the Report icon because my fear the OP was about to kill himself, and I entirely stand by my original comments.

I do wonder how many that make comments on here actually work on a day to day basis with three phase 400vac power, or indeed ever.

I would say, looking again closely this plug, it is not suitable for a 400vac supply because it is only rated for 500v, whereas a 400vac plug must be rated to at least 600v. If someone does not understand why then they are simply not qualified to comment here.

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
The markings on this plug are very clearly L1, L2 and L3 - these are the standard harmonised phase markings for a 3 phase 400 vac supply, and this is an EU wide harmonisation, established when the UK was still a Member state. None are marked neutral and only an idiot would manufacture an item with a pin marked both for L2 and PE (protective earth). The extended connector is commonly used for the PE on other similar Commando plugs.

When I issued my first response I did click the Report icon because my fear the OP was about to kill himself, and I entirely stand by my original comments.

I do wonder how many that make comments on here actually work on a day to day basis with three phase 400vac power, or indeed ever.

I would say, looking again closely this plug, it is not suitable for a 400vac supply because it is only rated for 500v, whereas a 400vac plug must be rated to at least 600v. If someone does not understand why then they are simply not qualified to comment here.
It us a well known connector in my old working world. Dont confuse it with 3 phase anymore. Exactly why I think this thread should be deleted.

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
The 6 o'clock terminal is clearly Earth marked, the pilot pin is shorter to make and break after and before the pins are unshrouded. It can exceptionally be used for signalling purposes too.

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
Ive just lifted this from one of our forums.
There are several ways the pilot pin can be used. The commonest is linking the pilot pin to neutral in the equipment at the far end of the cable. The pilot in the socket supplies a contactor coil, other end of the coil to a phase. The phase(s) supplied to the socket are switched by the contactor. So until the connections are made all the way the equipment there is only neutral and earth on the socket. I have seen the pilot circuit with a switch in the equipment so the cable is not energised until the operator switches on the pilot circuit.

andsarkit

Visit site
The writing on the pins has obviously caused confusion as L1,L2,L3 usually refers to a 3 phase system which is 415V and a red connector with equal sized pins for each phase. The OP has a blue connector with an obvious large earth pin and is physically suitable for a single phase 230V connection.

What really matters is what is actually coming out of the socket it is plugged into. The writing on the plug or speculation on here will not establish that and it needs a definitive answer from the marina or a check with a meter. I would be inclined to double check it myself before making any connection as I have learnt to be wary of assurances from third parties.

That still leaves the outstanding matter of matching up the circuit breaker size and the cable and connector sizes for the connection to the boat.

( I have worked on 3 phase systems with 500kW motors drawing 7000A on start up and found it pretty scary in case anything went wrong. That's a lot of energy that could be misdirected.)

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
You're right, there isn't a connector made which hasn't been used for a different purpose to what it was designed for.
I'm probably the world's worst. Sending 90v for audio valves down a defcon multicore springs to mind.
However this application seems a very suitable use,. I know nothing of pontoon outlets other than how to plug into them, but if I were designing one I think receptacle N looped via the short pin in housing and energising relay for phase would be a good safety feature.
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be implemented here, so , as always, ask the designer / installer if possible.

jamie N

Visit site
In dealing with potentially fatal voltages, I think that one either has experience and training to know with certainty what's what, and can fit it, or doesn't and hires (for a pittance really) someone who does know, and carries on without the excitement of possibly causing a fire or electrocuting someone.
End of.

alan_d

Visit site
Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.
Madam curie
Yes, and look what happened to her. (Died from radiation-induced aplastic anaemia.)
Surely a better maxim is that everything should be feared (or at least treated with caution) until it is understood.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
The writing on the pins has obviously caused confusion as L1,L2,L3 usually refers to a 3 phase system which is 415V and a red connector with equal sized pins for each phase. The OP has a blue connector with an obvious large earth pin and is physically suitable for a single phase 230V connection.

What really matters is what is actually coming out of the socket it is plugged into. The writing on the plug or speculation on here will not establish that and it needs a definitive answer from the marina or a check with a meter. I would be inclined to double check it myself before making any connection as I have learnt to be wary of assurances from third parties.

That still leaves the outstanding matter of matching up the circuit breaker size and the cable and connector sizes for the connection to the boat.

( I have worked on 3 phase systems with 500kW motors drawing 7000A on start up and found it pretty scary in case anything went wrong. That's a lot of energy that could be misdirected.)
I would refer the Hon. Gentlemen to my previous answers. Also having worked with 3phase systems ranging from 110 v to 6Kv . In various configurations, with and without neutrals and earthing, I would suggest that 3phase is not limited to 415 v 50Hz.!