shore power plug wiring

emandvee44

Visit site
Our marina has stopped us using the 15amp outlets which are on the other side of the main pontoon, which has smaller berths, citing safety issues with cables crossing the walkway. Consequently, as we are on a 20m berth, we have to connect to a 63 Amp single phase receptacle, the only type on our side of the pontoon (although we only need the 15Amp type).
I have purchased a 63 Amp plug (IP67), a 15 Amp socket (IP44)and a short length of suitable cable, to make up an adaptor lead.
I am certainly no expert when it comes to electrics so here is my question. The connectors of the 63 Amp plug are marked L1 L2 L3, and on the 15 Amp socket, L, 690v, and Earth. (L being on the LEFT as you look at the rear of the socket). This seems logical as a PLUG would have the L on the right (as in the photo)

15 Amp Socket.jpg63Amp Plug.jpg

Am I right or am I going to black out the marina:cool:

Thank you,

M.

superheat6k

Visit site
IF THE RH PHOTO IS HOW YOU HAVE WIRED YOUR 63A PLUG PLEASE STOP IMMEDIATELY AND DO NOT PLUG THIS IN.

You will connect 400 VAC to the 240v circuit, plus a third phase direct to the boat's Earth circuit. THIS IS A LETHAL CONNECTION.

The plug connector shown is only 4 pin, with the PE the extended connector. To use the 63a socket it must be a 5 pin with a Neutral pin.

If there is no Neutral you simply cannot use this supply.

L1, L2 and L3 are the incoming 3 phases. But there must also be a Neutral plus PE (protective earth).

i.e a 5 pin plug, where the PE is normally the fatter pin.

You require to connect ONLY one of L1, or L2 or L3 from the 63a plug to L on your 16a socket, and the Neutral and PE.

If power is present on all three of L1, L2 & L3 it does not matter which you use.

DO NOT CONNECT YOUR 16A SOCKET TO ANY TWO OF L1 / L2 / L3 BECAUSE THIS WILL SEND 400 VAC INTO YOUR 240V CIRCUIT.

63Amp Plug.jpg

Last edited:

jamie N

Visit site
Get an electrician to connect it up. It's safer and professional, with the best will in the world you're unqualified, there can be fatal consequences in the short and long term.

HughClayton

Visit site
It would be unusual if there was a three phase outlet in a marina that was readily accessible so I’d question if there was a risk of a phase to phase short (ie 400V).

63A 230V single phase sockets outlets however are not unusual in marinas but you do need to know the correct pin wiring before connecting things up.

Are you sure that you’ve got the right connector? The terminal markings of L1, L2 etc in your photo are what you’d see on a three phase plug (and hence the concern in earlier posts).

Once you’re sure about the connector and have figured out which pin is L, N & E then it should be straightforward to wire on a new connector. But if in doubt ask a local sparkie!

emandvee44

Visit site
This is the front view of the 63 Amp single phase plug. (It will fit the marina receptacle - I know because I have a plug/cable/adaptor on loan from the marina and it is the same) In the images above, the L2 pin is also marked 'Earth'

63Amp 240v single phase IP67.jpg

Thanks for your suggestions.

M.

emandvee44

Visit site
If the marina has forced you into using this type of socket, shouldn't they be responsible for paying an electrician to wire up your adaptor?
I wish - this is Spain and I made a big fuss about the new requirement to no avail. We have been here over one year and only recently have they introduced this requirement.

M.

VicS

Visit site
This is the front view of the 63 Amp single phase plug. (It will fit the marina receptacle - I know because I have a plug/cable/adaptor on loan from the marina and it is the same) In the images above, the L2 pin is also marked 'Earth'

M.

You should be able to determine how it is wired using your multimeter on an ohms or continuity setting >>>>>>>>>> or even with a bit of reverse engineering . :eek:

andsarkit

Visit site
240V plugs sockets will be blue and have 3 pins. 415V 3 phase will be red and have 5 pins. I'm not sure what the fourth little pin on your plug is for, but you should be fine if it is wired correctly. (copy the marina adapter)
In theory your cable should be capable of carrying 63A if it is plugged into a 63A socket or it could be in danger of getting hot if overloaded. This would be a huge cable.
Is it possible that the marina have got 16A trips feeding a 63A physical socket? It sounds like a bodge to me or just substituting a cable fire hazard for a cable trip hazard.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site

View attachment 147346

Thanks for your suggestions.

M.
That is 3 Phase and earth!! Get a professional to sort it out. NO IFs NO BUTS!!!!

This is a single phase & neutral
1670406068191.png

emandvee44

Visit site
240V plugs sockets will be blue and have 3 pins. 415V 3 phase will be red and have 5 pins. I'm not sure what the fourth little pin on your plug is for, but you should be fine if it is wired correctly. (copy the marina adapter)
In theory your cable should be capable of carrying 63A if it is plugged into a 63A socket or it could be in danger of getting hot if overloaded. This would be a huge cable.
Is it possible that the marina have got 16A trips feeding a 63A physical socket? It sounds like a bodge to me or just substituting a cable fire hazard for a cable trip hazard.
No, the berths on our side of the pontoon are all 18-24m, and thus have higher capacity requirement (think A/C, washing machines, etc.), and I have checked, they are all 63 Amp.
M.

dankilb

Visit site
It would be unusual if there was a three phase outlet in a marina that was readily accessible so I’d question if there was a risk of a phase to phase short (ie 400V).
I would’ve thought that - but the other day one of the local independent boat maintenance guys pointed out to the 3 phase sockets in our marina. Makes sense on reflection as apparently they’re used by the wind farm transfer vessels and other commercials.

The OP is on a 20m berth after all and that could serve quite a wider type of vessels/demands than - say - the 12m finger (into which our own 12.5m Jen gets squeezed!)

andsarkit

Visit site
Now I'm getting confused.
The marina lead gives a 230V supply which you would not get from a 3 phase plus earth unless you used the earth as a neutral.
Is it possible that the marina uses a non standard connection?
This is the UK 3 phase and earth with a large earth pin:
1670407342197.png
There is also a version with a small pilot pin for an interlock circuit. I have not come across it but there is obviously a 230V version with a pilot pin.
1670407420225.png
I'll go with the recommendation to get a definitive answer from the marina electrician.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
https://www.amazon.co.uk/amp-pin-trailing-plug-220V/dp/B00T81AKKM - This is what I bought.

The little pin is a safety device, amazing what you can find on U-tube.

M.
Totally confusing, the L2 pin in your original picture appears to also have an earth marking next to it. Without actually being on site with a meter and checking voltages and pins it is impossible for anyone, and I mean anyone, on this forum to give a safe opinion. Get a local professional. As has been stated you should not be downsizing to a 16 amp set up from 63 amp . You have no protection of the cable or the smaller plugs and sockets between the 63 amp unit and the boat set up, we don't know what that is.

st599

Visit site
Do you also have British sockets on board? I seem to remember Spain uses centre tapped earth, so you can get a phase neutral reversal.