Shoeburyness WW11 sea defence boom

Independence

Visit site
I have a friend looking to organise a trip to the Shoeburyness WW11 sea defence boom on 5th April and I have been asked if I know how many hours either side of low water it is safe to walk on the beach.

I don't know and was wondering if anyone else does?

Thanks

essexsj

Visit site
Best place to access would be from East Beach - head for the Blackgate Road end where the kitesurfers/windsurfers congregate, and you'll have direct access to the SW side of the boom, would advise not to enter the east side NE of the boom. Watch out for gate closure/opening (dawn-dusk) if entering from this end as it is a height restricted barrier, and is locked by local authority - some kitesurfers/windsurfers have a key. You can park outside along the access road without charge as long as you're not on double yellows or blocking access.

Between 2 and 3 hours before and after low tide. When the tide comes in, it'll come over the sand from the South initially, but keep an eye on SW as it 'back fills' from around the Thorpe Bay/Southend coast through the small channel 100 yards off the sand/shingle beach. Very gradual depth difference, it is common to wade ankle to knee deep before you're anywhere near in trouble if you're less than a quarter of a mile offshore.

Beach shoes, old trainers, boots, barefoot all work as the sand/mud is very firm with very few sink spots.

Another area of interest would be the mulberry harbour off the Thorpe Bay beach, this does need careful planning and caution as the sand/mud is less firm, deeper channels, and quicker incoming tide can catch a lot of people out, even locals can have trouble, if walking out to this, then do not go out barefoot as there are many oyster shells, that will significantly hinder your progress outwards and more importantly back to shore.