Shipping and Inshore Waters forecast

lustyd

Visit site
Even the date for the change was not announced.
Everything I've seen suggests end of this month, which makes absolute sense since it's end of financial year. Certainly that's the end of LW Radio 4 from what I can tell. Since that was linked to turning off the transmitter I'd have to guess all transmission would stop at that point but can't find a single clear explanation.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Everything I've seen suggests end of this month, which makes absolute sense since it's end of financial year. Certainly that's the end of LW Radio 4 from what I can tell. Since that was linked to turning off the transmitter I'd have to guess all transmission would stop at that point but can't find a single clear explanation.
The reference to the end of the month is recent. I cannot immediately see when. The initial May 2023 announcement said that no date was known. Until recently that was all we were told.

dunedin

Visit site
Yes, there are other frequencies but none has anywhere near the range of 198kHz. Yes there is Iridium etc.
The fact remains that the BBC has not yet told us the scheduled times for these broadcasts that some find to have value in terms of safety at sea. Even the date for the change was not announced.
These days, I hold no brief for the BBC Shipping forecast. I do recognise, unlike some posters, that some sailors find it useful. The BBC, clearly does not. I suspect that their programme schedulers are influenced by those idiots wh0 call it part of our heritage. They have lost sight of the real purpose.
Clearly it is frustrating for you that the BBC has been so unhelpful in providing specific information to you.

But is there any actual evidence that there is any real demand for Shipping Forecast over the radio once LW is switched off?

As the reception range would be short perhaps Inshore Waters might be of more relevance.
We have evidence of people using internet access for weather forecasts, and also on VHF from Coastguard - plus Navtext and increasingly SatPhone used when further from shore. But not sure there is any evidence of a need for shipping forecasts on BBC radio?

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Clearly it is frustrating for you that the BBC has been so unhelpful in providing specific information to you.

But is there any actual evidence that there is any real demand for Shipping Forecast over the radio once LW is switched off?

As the reception range would be short perhaps Inshore Waters might be of more relevance.
We have evidence of people using internet access for weather forecasts, and also on VHF from Coastguard - plus Navtext and increasingly SatPhone used when further from shore. But not sure there is any evidence of a need for shipping forecasts on BBC radio?
All along, I I have tried to make it clear that I, personally, do not regard the Radio 4 shipping forecast as a big deal. However, almanacs should meet the needs of all. Regardless of my personal opinions, that is what I am trying to do. fRight from their first announcement, the BBC has been unhelpful. The SF is a de facto part of the GMDSS, albeit far less valuable to most of us than 30, 40, 50 years ago.

Poignard

Visit site
Call me a luddite if you like, but I liked the Shipping Forecast broadcast on LW.

Not for nostalgic reasons but simply for its ease of use.

Operate a switch on my radio in the morning, retire to my bunk with a cup of tea and listen to someone with a pleasant voice telling me what the maritime weather is doing and what it's likely to do.

What could be simpler? What more do I need?

How much easier than faffing about with the mobile phone I hope I have remembered to charge overnight, logging on, declining cookies, trying to find my specs so I can see the tiny screen, trying to pick out what I need out of a mass of arrows and numbers, scrolling backwards and forwards losing my place, and so on.

Long live BBC long-wave, says I! (y)

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Call me a luddite if you like, but I liked the Shipping Forecast broadcast on LW.

Not for nostalgic reasons but simply for its ease of use.

Operate a switch on my radio in the morning, retire to my bunk with a cup of tea and listen to someone with a pleasant voice telling me what the maritime weather is doing and what it's likely to do.

What could be simpler? What more do I need?

How much easier than faffing about with the mobile phone I hope I have remembered to charge overnight, logging on, declining cookies, trying to find my specs so I can see the tiny screen, trying to pick out what I need out of a mass of arrows and numbers, scrolling backwards and forwards losing my place, and so on.

Long live BBC long-wave, says I! (y)
I respect your views. That is why I was so frustrated that we cannot even post useful amendments online to the 2024 almanacs never mind not being able at this stage to know what to put in the 2025 editions.

lustyd

Visit site
Why do I hear a message saying Radio 4 will stop running a Long Wave schedule from March 2024? | Help receiving TV and radio

"The Shipping Forecast will change to being broadcast twice a day on Radio 4 on weekdays and three times a day on weekends. It will also continue to be broadcast via HM Coastguard’s channels." This will be from end of March 2024 (I read this as from 1st April) and the LW service will continue but mirror FM and online.

There seems to be no actual switch off date for LW other than "in 2024"

Times can be seen at BBC Radio 4 - Shipping Forecast - Next on which details the two weekday and three weekend which appear not to be changing.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Why do I hear a message saying Radio 4 will stop running a Long Wave schedule from March 2024? | Help receiving TV and radio

"The Shipping Forecast will change to being broadcast twice a day on Radio 4 on weekdays and three times a day on weekends. It will also continue to be broadcast via HM Coastguard’s channels." This will be from end of March 2024 (I read this as from 1st April) and the LW service will continue but mirror FM and online.

There seems to be no actual switch off date for LW other than "in 2024"

Times can be seen at BBC Radio 4 - Shipping Forecast - Next on which details the two weekday and three weekend which appear not to be changing.
Quite! Which times of the 4 current will be used? Will the Inshore forecast be retained? Will there still be coastal reports? The Met Office says they do not know. Why does the BBC not reply?

lustyd

Visit site
Quite! Which times of the 4 current will be used? Will the Inshore forecast be retained? Will there still be coastal reports? The Met Office says they do not know. Why does the BBC not reply?
The current FM times will apply as per the second link. Two in the week and three at weekends.

lustyd

Visit site
First, which 2 broadcasts on weekdays, which 3 at weekends? Where does it give times? I assume times for whichever slots are used, will be as MPs but I have missed where it actually says that? What about Inshore Waters?
There are only two and three on FM. Those will be the broadcasts going forwards. Filter out the LW and you have the new schedule.

Bilgediver

Visit site
After the BBC ceases to use LW, does anyone know
1. What times will the shipping forecast be broadcast?
2. When will the Inshore Waters forecast be broadcast?
3. When will reports from coastal stations be broadcast and which stations?

I have asked the BBC twice recently and had no reply.
There does seem to be some uncertainty amongst which the Beeb seems to point us to various sources including the Coastguard which covers inshore waters.
Those further offshore Will have to rely on Navtex or satellites. I see there is talk of the latest satelites systems being mobile phone compatible. You may be aware that satellites are already monitoring our AIS signals so who knows where we will be in a year or two. Some long distance sailors and overland adventurers use Iridium to access these forecasts but at a cost.

This is one of many pages put on the Web by The Beeb.

Last edited:

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Whatever will or may happen in the future, whatever you personal views on R4 shipping and Inshore forecasts, the fact remains that the BBC will be changing schedule at the end of the month. They still have not published details. We do not yet know which daily forecasts will be retained and which at weekends. They are either incompetent or have contempt for users of what is supposed to be a safety at sea service.

lustyd

Visit site
Whatever will or may happen in the future, whatever you personal views on R4 shipping and Inshore forecasts, the fact remains that the BBC will be changing schedule at the end of the month. They still have not published details. We do not yet know which daily forecasts will be retained and which at weekends. They are either incompetent or have contempt for users of what is supposed to be a safety at sea service.
Confused by this given I showed you above.

lustyd

Visit site
What will be the times of the 2 week day forecasts? What will be the times of the 3 weekend forecasts. Will there still be Inshore forecasts? These have not been mentioned.
Literally sent you the schedule. Starting to think you’re the wrong man for the job if you can’t be arsed to read it.

Attachments

• IMG_8683.png
    IMG_8683.png
    203 KB · Views: 11

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
As I understand it, there is no longer going to be any differentiation of the content on R4 LW compared to R4 FM. So everything that was only broadcast on LW will be dropped. Longwave will simply transmit exactly the same output as R4 FM. Therefore the Shipping Forecast on LW will be as scheduled for R4 FM.
  • 00:48 – Includes weather reports from coastal stations and an inshore waters forecast
  • 05:20 – Includes weather reports from coastal stations and an inshore waters forecast
  • 17:54 – Weekends Only

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
As I understand it, there is no longer going to be any differentiation of the content on R4 LW compared to R4 FM. So everything that was only broadcast on LW will be dropped. Longwave will simply transmit exactly the same output as R4 FM. Therefore the Shipping Forecast on LW will be as scheduled for R4 FM.
  • 00:48 – Includes weather reports from coastal stations and an inshore waters forecast
  • 05:20 – Includes weather reports from coastal stations and an inshore waters forecast
  • 17:54 – Weekends Only
Literally sent you the schedule. Starting to think you’re the wrong man for the job if you can’t be arsed to read it.
lustyd, the schedules you keep quoting are those currently in use - 4 broadcasts a day on LW. I keep asking which 2 will be retained on FM/MW/Sounds. I can find no answer.

Motor Sailor, your assumption that the current FM schedules will be used seems the obvious solution to be adopted by the BBC. But, if so, why will they not tell us?

The only statement I have from the BBC is -

The BBC is working with key organisations so that specific audiences will be notified how they can switch to other BBC platforms to hear programmes between now and the end of Radio 4 LW separate scheduling in March 2024.

The Shipping Forecast will cease to be broadcast four times a day, and will instead be available via the Radio 4 FM simulcast twice a day (weekdays) and three times a day (weekends) as well as on DAB and BBC Sounds. ”

“working with key organisations‘ rings hollow as the Met Office say that scheduling is purely for the BBC. I see nothing on the RYA site and the CA has had no contact. The last time I got a reply from the BBC, they did not know. My last two requests have been ignored.

lustyd

Visit site
lustyd, the schedules you keep quoting are those currently in use
Yes, and I also linked the page saying those will continue to be in use once R4 moves to a single schedule. The additional LW programming will cease at the end of this month and the FM schedule will be the only schedule. The LW transmissions will cease later in 2024, for which a date has not yet been announced, but until then the single schedule will transmit on both.
You can carry on arguing all you like, but we have found the relevant information for you, copied it here, and explained it several times. It's clear to the rest of us and at this point you appear to be being obtuse.
If you seriously do have doubts I suggest you actually contact the BBC who will no doubt confirm what we've explained to you and what they've published quite clearly on their various platforms. You obviously don't trust us or their public messaging so why carry on the thread?

Mister E

Visit site
The only ones I can see are for March but it is April that are needed.
Do you know the times of the broadcasts in April?