Ship aground on Brambel bank?

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
Why as a matter of interest do you hope the pilot wasn't the one with the broken leg!

Later reports have suggested that he was the last one to leave the ship. It would be a terrible irony if that caused a serious injury whereas others would have got off relatively unscathed. A bit like lifeboatmen or firemen or policemen getting injured whilst saving/protecting others I suppose.

Don't you see it like that, hence your question?

Mad Pad

Visit site
Later reports have suggested that he was the last one to leave the ship. It would be a terrible irony if that caused a serious injury whereas others would have got off relatively unscathed. A bit like lifeboatmen or firemen or policemen getting injured whilst saving/protecting others I suppose.

Don't you see it like that, hence your question?

No,not really!

ningcompoop

Visit site
Re: Pilotage - found this:
[h=2]1.1 Compulsory Pilotage [/h]
Pilotage in the ABP Southampton CHA area is compulsory for the following vessels:All vessels above 61m LOA and vessels carrying more than 12 passengers above 20m in length​
[h=2]1.2 Exemptions from compulsory pilotage [/h]
The following categories of vessels shall be exempt from compulsory pilotage:​
  1. HM Ships​
  2. MOD owned / operated ships​
  3. Naval vessels of Commonwealth countries​

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
No,not really!

I always thought that the biggest, and very real risk, to a pilot was the boarding at sea.

I understand that a member of the crew who jumped into the sea was actually dragged under the ship and was rescued by the RNLI. Given the seriousness of that a broken leg seems trivial IN COMPARISON to a pilot being the last man off and being injured because of it.

Incidentally, isn't the captain supposed to be that last man off?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Impressive. So which one were you?

1.2 Exemptions from compulsory pilotage

The following categories of vessels shall be exempt from compulsory pilotage:
HM Ships
MOD owned / operated ships
Naval vessels of Commonwealth countries
Foreign Naval vessels

The next paragraph down, 1.3, tells you how to gain a PEC for Southampton of you meet some set conditions. The general exemptions above are for classes of vessel not persons.

oakleyb

Visit site
Just been down to take a look - how confident are they that she will refloat. Even at HT this morning it looked like she needed an awful lot more water than a spring tide will bring to get her floating again

l'escargot

Visit site
Just been down to take a look - how confident are they that she will refloat. Even at HT this morning it looked like she needed an awful lot more water than a spring tide will bring to get her floating again

I had a look at high tide and just been down again. I've got doubts whether they will float her off. 2 days to Springs with no great increase in height. I would think they need to unload her and right her before they can even try and that won't happen overnight. Could be a local feature for a little while yet.

lw395

Visit site
Oddly, there don't seem to be any rules specifically about several thousands tons of marine hardware on a cricket pitch. However, Law 10.2(b), which deals with pitch sweeping, requires that the pitch shall be cleared of any debris at all intervals for meals, between innings and at the beginning of each day, not earlier than 30 minutes nor later than 10 minutes before the time scheduled or rescheduled for play to begin.

One hopes the salvage crew are acquainted with this provision. And have rather large brooms.

I think it might be easier to roll it right on its side and play cricket on the ship?