Shengen Shuffle options to be reduced .....

Seastoke

Visit site
If I offended anyone , sorry now if you can’t crack a few jokes God help us all on that note , I work all year so the kids can have a great Xmas hen someone who is fat and has a beard steals the limelight, I suppose it’s partly my fault I should not have married her.

roblpm

Visit site
  • Bulgaria
  • Romania
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Ireland
View attachment 127186

So..... If I buy a boat ex vat in the EU and park it in Ireland no vat for 18 months.... (renewable forever by going offshore and back?) and I can live on it as much as I like due to common travel area?

Although if I sail it round Ireland I can't stop in Northern Ireland cos then vat will be due immediately as I am a UK resident?

Is that right?! ?

I was gonna buy a boat to sail in Scotland and then keep it to go to med and Caribbean. But maybe it makes more sense to buy and sell in Scotland and then buy in eu! Save the vat.

nortada

Visit site
Don’t think citizenship/residency and VAT/EVA liability are linked❓

Citizen/residency applies to people, whereas, VAT/EVA relate to goods, belongings, chattels etc.

Can a person be a chattel❓?? Could ask Lady N - could be last living act.?

Last edited:

roblpm

Visit site
Don’t think citizenship/residency and VAT/EVA liability are linked❓

Citizen/residency applies to people, whereas, VAT/EVA relate to goods, belongings, chattels etc.

Can a person be a chattel❓?? Could ask Lady N - could be last living act.?
Yes my understanding is as per Graham376.

It most definitely is linked to residency.

To think about it another way (and not for vat) . If a Belgian wants to come on holiday to the UK from Belgium in their motor home they can drive over. Stay a bit. Go home. When I bought a motorhome in Belgium I was not even allowed to drive it from the port to my house. As soon as it landed and I owned it I was importing it and needed to sort all the documentation.

My understanding is that Vat works like this on boats. If I am a UK resident and buy a non UK vat paid boat in the EU (doesn't matter if its EU vat paid or not) then as soon as I land in the UK the vat is due as I am importing it.

Unless I am wrong.... ?

Northern Ireland is interesting. But surely as soon as I land there I am importing it. But maybe not.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes my understanding is as per Graham376.

It most definitely is linked to residency.

To think about it another way (and not for vat) . If a Belgian wants to come on holiday to the UK from Belgium in their motor home they can drive over. Stay a bit. Go home. When I bought a motorhome in Belgium I was not even allowed to drive it from the port to my house. As soon as it landed and I owned it I was importing it and needed to sort all the documentation.

My understanding is that Vat works like this on boats. If I am a UK resident and buy a non UK vat paid boat in the EU (doesn't matter if its EU vat paid or not) then as soon as I land in the UK the vat is due as I am importing it.

Unless I am wrong.... ?

Northern Ireland is interesting. But surely as soon as I land there I am importing it. But maybe not.
Sadly to say there a twist to your posting .
Even if you buy a UK vat paid boat in the EU and brought it back to the UK you be libal to pay vat again .

nortada

Visit site

When you say, “I land in in the UK”. I assume you mean when the boat enters UK waters. Doesn’t matter if you are not on board, you would still have a UK VAT liability.

roblpm

Visit site
When you say, “I land in in the UK”. I assume you mean when the boat enters UK waters. Doesn’t matter if you are not on board, you would still have a UK VAT liability.

Yes. I think the conditions are the ownership and the residency.

Hmmmm. Now you have me thinking. I wonder how residency works for Vat. Is it the same as income tax residency? I have a usa passport. Maybe if I was in the UK less than 180 days..... ?

I need to find some stuff about vat and residency.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes. I think the conditions are the ownership and the residency.

Hmmmm. Now you have me thinking. I wonder how residency works for Vat. Is it the same as income tax residency? I have a usa passport. Maybe if I was in the UK less than 180 days..... ?

I need to find some stuff about vat and residency.
I'm 99% passport don't come into it ,
If you a resident in say the UK then I'm sure you would have import the boat and pay vat .
ie
You live in France but your British keeping a UK vat paid in the UK your fine as soon as you move it to France or the EU you need to pay .
Same apply British passport holder , living in France EU vat status boat , you can come to the UK without paying vat but only keep it in the UK temporarily.

If by any chance am that 1 % wrong I'm sure someone will come up and say .

roblpm

Visit site
I'm 99% passport don't come into it ,
If you a resident in say the UK then I'm sure you would have import the boat and pay vat .
ie
You live in France but your British keeping a UK vat paid in the UK your fine as soon as you move it to France or the EU you need to pay .
Same apply British passport holder , living in France EU vat status boat , you can come to the UK without paying vat but only keep it in the UK temporarily.

If by any chance am that 1 % wrong I'm sure someone will come up and say .

But it's to do with residency. Not citizenship.

I was just mucking about with the idea of being non resident. But having a boat in the UK for when I am there! Bought vat free from the EU. Tax resident in the USA.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
But it's to do with residency. Not citizenship.

I was just mucking about with the idea of being non resident. But having a boat in the UK for when I am there! Bought vat free from the EU. Tax resident in the USA.
It's what I said , if you residency is the UK and you brought in a non UK vat boat I'm sure you would end up paying vat again,
It's the way I understand it,

westernman

www.devalk.nl
How about another angle?

You are resident in the UK. You create a company in Panama. That company buys a boat in the EU which you then sail in the UK.

Does your company have to pay VAT in the UK?

roblpm

Visit site
It's what I said , if you residency is the UK and you brought in a non UK vat boat I'm sure you would end up paying vat again,
It's the way I understand it,
Yes definitely. But if I was non resident in the UK I wouldn't. Even if I came here on holiday.

roblpm

Visit site
How about another angle?

You are resident in the UK. You create a company in Panama. That company buys a boat in the EU which you then sail in the UK.

That is an interesting question. Do you actually know the answer? Tbh seeing as the UK oversees the biggest offshore tax avoidance network in the world we could probably do it closer to home. Hang on you have just reminded me of something..... Isle of Man? But channel islands? Caymans?

Isle of Man tax regime allows super-rich to avoid up to £1 billion in VAT on private jets | Global Witness

sailaboutvic

Visit site
How about another angle?

Good question , no idea this is just a guess if it was just in the company name you probably get away with it.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just thinking back a bit , isn't there some thing to say you can't drive a car in the UK that's owns by a private person who car is registered to in another country?

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Just thinking back a bit , isn't there some thing to say you can't drive a car in the UK that's owns by a private person who car is registered to in another country?
I don't know what the regulations are.

But two of my employees in France drive cars which are registered in Italy.
Also at the local sailing club, a lady had a company car which was registered in Germany.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
That is an interesting question. Do you actually know the answer? Tbh seeing as the UK oversees the biggest offshore tax avoidance network in the world we could probably do it closer to home. Hang on you have just reminded me of something..... Isle of Man? But channel islands? Caymans?

Isle of Man tax regime allows super-rich to avoid up to £1 billion in VAT on private jets | Global Witness
I don't know the answer. And I would be interested to hear from some one who does. And the implications which go with it.
And then may be applying that to a boat bought in the EU which is VAT not paid.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I don't know what the regulations are.

But two of my employees in France drive cars which are registered in Italy.
Also at the local sailing club, a lady had a company car which was registered in Germany.
It's been some time when I looked it up , your OK to drive a hire car or Company car but not a private car, I'm sure that was it.
I looked it up because I did one year drive my Dutch partner car In the UK ,
Mainly because in Holland it's the car that's insured and not the driver and I wonder what the case would be here if I got caught driving it .