Shengen Shuffle options to be reduced .....

westernman

www.devalk.nl
It's been some time when I looked it up , your OK to drive a hire car or Company car but not a private car, I'm sure that was it.
I looked it up because I did one year drive my Dutch partner car In the UK ,
Mainly because in Holland it's the car that's insured and not the driver and I wonder what the case would be here if I got caught driving it .
I think the Italian cars were registered in the names of their parents who are resident in Italy.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You do not pay VAT or duty on a vehicle if you temporarily import it and all of the following apply:

• it’s for your own private use
  • you’re not a UK resident
  • you do not sell, lend or hire it within the UK
  • you re-export it from the UK within 6 months - or longer if you’re eligible to use foreign number plates for longer

westernman

www.devalk.nl
You do not pay VAT or duty on a vehicle if you temporarily import it and all of the following apply:

• it’s for your own private use
  • you’re not a UK resident
  • you do not sell, lend or hire it within the UK
  • you re-export it from the UK within 6 months - or longer if you’re eligible to use foreign number plates for longer
What if it is not your car?
E.g. your parents or girl friend's car? And they live in the country where the car is registered. But the car stays permanently in the UK?

Seven Spades

Visit site
Does this mean you can just sail across from Italy and won’t have to go in a straight line and won’t need to “checkout” if going to Italy?

Zing

Visit site
How about another angle?

You are resident in the UK. You create a company in Panama. That company buys a boat in the EU which you then sail in the UK.

Does your company have to pay VAT in the UK?
You do, not the company. At least before Brexit that was the rule and I expect the rules are ported over. If you used a boat as an EU resident in the EU then you were deemed to be importing it and you had to pay VAT on it whether or not you owned it. If you chartered it from a company you may have also owned at market rates, that was allowed.

Seastoke

Visit site
Surely not - when compared to posts #2 and #4 for example?

EDITED: Unsurprisingly the above numbered posts have been removed by the moderator as clear breaches of forum rules. No I didn’t report them but support their removal
Boring

Metabarca

Visit site
Going back to Baggie's original post, there's no news I'm aware of about what will happen regarding sailing into or out of Croatia from a Schengen country. But will let you know when my club sends details.

Star-Lord

Visit site
... today the EU agreed to allow Croatia to join the Schengen area. Date not yet set, but it's another country off the list of places to go to avoid falling foul of the 90/180 rules.

Croatia can join border-free Schengen area, EU governments say
I am in Zagreb right now - doing Airbnb because I refuse to sail to Africa and spend another 90 days there. A few weeks ago Macron visited Zagreb... we all heard jets flying above... Croatia just bought a bunch of French fighter planes and Macron came to visit to say thank you. The word on the street is this is the deal that has guaranteed Croatia entry in Schengen earlier than planned. I very much doubt it happens next year though.
The good news for me is I discovered my Grandmother was born in Ireland and so in Feb. I go to Dublin to get an Irish passport!! It will take 12-18 months to be processed because I have to register my birth (because I was born outside Ireland) and there is a Covid backlog. So I will be Airbnb ing in Bucharest and Tivat/Kotor and Dublin and Croatia (Zagreb) when my 90 days is up in Europe - untill my Irish passport arrives.

Metabarca

Visit site
I am in Zagreb right now - doing Airbnb because I refuse to sail to Africa and spend another 90 days there. A few weeks ago Macron visited Zagreb... we all heard jets flying above... Croatia just bought a bunch of French fighter planes and Macron came to visit to say thank you. The word on the street is this is the deal that has guaranteed Croatia entry in Schengen earlier than planned. I very much doubt it happens next year though.
Could be by as early as June 2022. Rather than French appui, I believe that a green light from Slovenia and Italy (both of which have/had disputes with Croatia) helped.

syvictoria

Visit site
The good news for me is I discovered my Grandmother was born in Ireland and so in Feb. I go to Dublin to get an Irish passport!! It will take 12-18 months to be processed because I have to register my birth (because I was born outside Ireland) and there is a Covid backlog.

The dfa.ie website currently states that "at present, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration and the pause in the Service due to the Covid-19 restrictions you should allow approximately 2 years for processing of Foreign Birth Registration applications at this time", but hopefully your 12-18 month estimate will prove accurate. I too have the option of an Irish passport, but the long processing time (and other considerations) have resulted in me pursuing my paternal lineage instead. I am so very grateful to my forefathers!

Star-Lord

Visit site
The dfa.ie website currently states that "at present, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration and the pause in the Service due to the Covid-19 restrictions you should allow approximately 2 years for processing of Foreign Birth Registration applications at this time", but hopefully your 12-18 month estimate will prove accurate. I too have the option of an Irish passport, but the long processing time (and other considerations) have resulted in me pursuing my paternal lineage instead. I am so very grateful to my forefathers!
I have hired a Dublin lawyer to make sure everything goes a smooth as possible. Imagine making a mistake in your submission!

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
The good news for me is I discovered my Grandmother was born in Ireland and so in Feb. I go to Dublin to get an Irish passport!! It will take 12-18 months to be processed because I have to register my birth (because I was born outside Ireland) and there is a Covid backlog. So I will be Airbnb ing in Bucharest and Tivat/Kotor and Dublin and Croatia (Zagreb) when my 90 days is up in Europe - untill my Irish passport arrives.

I have hired a Dublin lawyer to make sure everything goes a smooth as possible. Imagine making a mistake in your submission!

Been there, got the T-Shirt.

I was advised to apply via telephone to apply via Register of Foreign Births route. A later check uncovered the fact that the telephone agent wasn't in the relevant Department and had probably guessed.

I couldn't complete payment on-line and was told on phone that it would be fine to send everything with a letter to explain. Someone would be in touch to sort out payment. It turned into a black-hole, made worse by Covid kicking in about 3 months later.

The online chat wouldn't work unless I entered my payment number and I didn't have one. No email address and telephone helpline just gave a message to the effect "we aren't answering any calls". Written letters were never answered.

I eventually got an email with a phone number to sort out payment, probably 9 months after applying. The helpful lady took the money (possibly 280 euro) but was only able to process the payment as she didn't work in the correct Department. She did pass on a message. I was emailed a few months later to let me know that the Foreign Registration of Births wasn't handling any new application. However, they'd looked at my application and it didn't need to got through that process at all. I was told to just apply for a first passport and had my 280 euro refunded.

I applied online and had exactly the same problem with payment failing, even with 3 different computers and different Browsers. I had a really silly thought and wondered if it was failing because I wasn't in Ireland. I used a VPN with a Dublin based server and payment went through immediately. All documents were sent off along with a letter including correspondence about my original application.

I received confirmation that everything had been received and was being processed. My Irish passport arrived a few weeks later.

The Foreign Births Register was a complete nightmare due to lack of any feedback mechanism. It might have been OK if I'd managed to pay online. I was lucky to by-pass that stage because my mother was born in Ireland.