sheet to tiller resources on the Jester website

ScallywagII

Visit site
Two chapters from John Letcher's Self-Steering for sailing Craft are now on the Jester website, as well as one from Gerard Dijkstra's Self-Steering for yachts. http://www.jesterinfo.org/index.html I would recommend reading natural steering before the sheet to tiller chapter. Letcher is an easier read than the chapter from Gerard Dijkstra, which is comprehensive but concise.

In the 1960s when Blondie Hasler was racing across the Atlantic, Letcher made several big solo passages in his 20' Island Girl, and later with his wife in his own designed and built 25 footer. He describes how he experimented with the sails to achieve self-steering, long before he had heard of vane gear. He also details alternative methods used by others. The methods worked then and still do now. I spoke with John on the phone last week. He is now in a nursing home but was very encouraging about keeping it small and simple.

He wrote that due to the unreliability of vane gears, experimenting with sheet to tiller systems should be an essential part of preparing for any long offshore passage. That is as true now as when he wrote it 40 years ago. It is probably the most enjoyable part of boat preparation as it involves little or no expense and involves getting out sailing.

Len

ScallywagII

Visit site
A link to Scallywag's Jester video has now been added https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnkDsDWl8zQ It shows vane-free steering on all points of sail. All the video was shot during last year's Atlantic challenge. I think that most Jester sized boats could be made to steer in these ways, with a little experimentation.

Going to windward the main correcting force is provided by heeling, so multihulls cannot be expected to perform, though the sheet to tiller methods should apply on other points. Conversely a single junk sail monohull should self steer close-hauled, but difficult on other points as the balance cannot easily be altered with just one sail and the friction and stretch of a multi-part sheet would hinder sheet to tiller operation.