She 27

adamthekiwi

Visit site
Hi All,

First up, thanks for all the answers to my headroom question - this will probably be the first of a whole load of "what about?" questions, so I hope you'll indulge me (at least a few more time, anyway!)...

Does anyone have any experience with the She 27?

Cheers - Adam...

Tranona

Visit site
Performance orientated, likely to have been hard used, well loved by owners because they get high performance at a modest price. Probably not a beginners boat of choice.

adamthekiwi

Visit site
Probably not a beginners boat of choice.

Hi Tranona,

Thanks for the info. Why not a beginner's boat, more specifically?

I should point out that I'm not a complete novice. I spent several years in my teens and early 20s crewing for my uncle, got my RYA Day Skipper a couple of years ago, have been on two week-long charters (one of them bareboat) since then and regularly crew for the PEYC. My friend and potential co-owner has RYA Yachmaster (having done a "zero to hero" course 18 months ago and has quite a lot of miles under his belt.

Cheers - Adam...

Tranona

Visit site
Sorry if I misunderstood, but your earlier thread suggested that you were looking for a starter boat. Something like a She was primarily designed for cruiser racing where performane (particularly to windward) was a priority. Fine bows mean they are very cramped forwards down below although spacious amidships. If you are looking for a "cheap" performance boat for round the cans and a bit of cruising then it will be a good choice. If you want a spacious pottering for the family there are better boats.

adamthekiwi

Visit site
Thanks Tranona,

The emphasis for me in on a boat that can be sailed, with the ability to get away for a weekend with up to 4 aboard second in the priority list. Comfort is always going to be compromised for four on a sub-30' boat unless we stump up for a modern boat, and they are outside the budget (for the moment). I'd rather have something that is sea-kindly for day sails and capable of moderately ambitious passages (training for my Coastal Skipper and then Yachtmaster, some time over the next couple of years).

The She 27 actually sounds pretty good!

Cheers - Adam...

Bajansailor

Visit site
I have a scanned copy of the Builder's catalogue (from the late 70's) for the She 27, including a couple of boat reports from YW and YM - if you PM me an email address, I will send you (and anybody else who is interested) a copy.

I have never sailed on a She 27, but the mere fact that they are an S & S design is good enough for me - they are on my list of dream yachts.

Lavej01

Visit site
SHE 27

Hi
You posed a few questions about a SHE 27. I own one at the moment and have been really pleased with her. By the sounds of things your experience level was about the same as mine when I bought Ayesha 5 years ago. I bought her to go racing with the local club and have found the boat to be absolutely brilliant for this, quick when you need, forgiving when you try and sail beyond your own ability, which for me is not too difficult.
They sail quite upright when the wind blows which is what I was looking for as I have three kids who didn't really want to be healing all over all the time. They are well known as strong, stable and resilient boats. I can sail her on my own, but prefer 2 or 3 when racing or when the wind gets up.
Headroom is OK, I am 6 foot and have to bend a little bit.
The downside is that any boat this age needs maintenance and the unique she-deck (looks like teak decking but is actually strips of set resin/epoxy) requires some thinking about and a practical hand if you want to keep it. However if you are happy doing the maintenance you will be rewarded with a very very good looking boat that also performs. It is an S&S after all.
The downside for us is that there are only 4 bunks and now that there are 5 of us I need to upgrade. If I can help with any other questions don't hesitate.
John