Sharks

William_H

Visit site
I know my UK buddies delight in the stories of bities in Oz. Most English can tell me all of the creatures that will hurt a body and mostly we ozies just ignore it all and get on with it. Mostly the same for sharks in the ocean.
Now I am broken hearted. yesterday morning about 8AM 23 guys were swimming in the Swan River just about 200 metres upstream from my mooring when one was attacked by apparently a Bull shark. He had a 30cm gash on his upper leg and was rescued by his buddy and spent the night in intensive care. We heard all the commotion sirens etc from home.
Now in this weather SWMBO and I usually swim each day in this area, I cleaning the hull on my little boat. (to the point of rubbing off the a/f). I might have to wait a few days for the panic to settle down before returning to clean the boat. Meanwhile that weed grows like crazy in the warm water.
It is almost 100 years since there was a fatality by shark in the Swan River and 40 odd years since the last attack. So considering the number of people who swim in the rver it is a pretty remote chance of it happening again. Oh well I have a short race this evening and it will have to go with any weed that has grown since a small wipe over on Tuesday. Ba Phooey ol'will

CLB

Visit site
Sounds like the lad was lucky. If that was my mooring, I don't think i'd ever get in the water again o_O

Laser310

Visit site
It is almost 100 years since there was a fatality by shark in the Swan River and 40 odd years since the last attack. So considering the number of people who swim in the rver it is a pretty remote chance of it happening again.

the odds are probably on your side.., but that doesn't mean they are unchanged over the last 40 years

has anything about the sharks changed over that time?

has the shark population increased?

have the bull sharks moved into that river in greater numbers and maybe made it a a nursery over the last few years?

shark populations move around - they aren't constant in any location over time

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
My only question is, what calibre rifle did Sir Robin Knox-Johnston use to shoot sharks.
I'm guessing .303"? It isn't mentioned in his stores appendix in 'A World of My Own', unfortunately.
I don't find them neccessary, and wouldn't shed a tear if they vanished overnight.
These evil, mindless predators need exterminating, but we don't yet have the technology.
The deranged Sea Shepherd/Greenpeace fanatics, who think sharks are merely misunderstood, bless their little white cotton socks etc, need urgent psychiatric treatment.

Orion Jim

Visit site
Bull sharks are territorial, I’d never swim there. I’ve seen pelagic species show up out of nowhere offshore so I never enter the water no matter how enticing on a hot windless day. A few buckets over the head have to suffice.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I don't find them neccessary, and wouldn't shed a tear if they vanished overnight.
These evil, mindless predators need exterminating, but we don't yet have the technology.

What is the basis for these opinions Gary - have you had a close encounter with a shark at some stage in the past?

It sounds like you are implying that you know a lot more about sharks than the deranged Sea Shepherds?

If they (the sharks, not the Shepherds) all vanished overnight, I think that you would find that it would upset the worldwide eco-system hugely - every creature has it's part to play, even sharks.

harvey38

Visit site
"These evil, mindless predators need exterminating, but we don't yet have the technology.
The deranged Sea Shepherd/Greenpeace fanatics, who think sharks are merely misunderstood, bless their little white cotton socks etc, need urgent psychiatric treatment"

What makes you think they are evil or mindless?

I am neither a Sea Shepherd or Greenpeace fanatic but having spent a lot of time with sharks on the reefs in the Caribbean and just like any other creature, if they are hungry they go in search of prey, I feel for the guy who got hurt but its a risk anyone must take if they swim and sharks are present. If I dive with sharks and one decides to take a bite out of me, no one else to blame and just my bad luck!

If you think sharks are evil, mindless predators, wait until you come across a 5'+ barracuda lurking under your keel...…..

Bristolfashion

Visit site
My only question is, what calibre rifle did Sir Robin Knox-Johnston use to shoot sharks.
I'm guessing .303"? It isn't mentioned in his stores appendix in 'A World of My Own', unfortunately.
The deranged Sea Shepherd/Greenpeace fanatics, who think sharks are merely misunderstood, bless their little white cotton socks etc, need urgent psychiatric treatment.
If you look at the vast number of sharks cruelly killed each year, it's the humans that are the dead-eyed, blood thirsty beasts.

Most shark species are harmless. The few really dangerous species need treating with respect.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I feel the same about Foxes. Stealing my chickens, and the human ones with archaic ideas about the balance of nature and misunderstanding the beauty of the marine environment. ?

Seriously though, I swim in the Swan River and at the ocean beaches in Perth. Yes, there is the occasional shark attack, but this won't stop me enjoying the water. I'm not in favour of the shark net at Cottesloe.

Neeves

Visit site
These do gooders have it all wrong.

L:ets get rid of anything dangerous, sharks might be near the top of the list but surely lions and tigers are up there, many dog breeds, polar bears, a whole host of snakes - why single out sharks? Off Spain we have whales, attacking yachts, they MUST be on the list and whales are in almost plague numbers at migration time on Australia's east (and west)coast, surprised Ningaloo did not mention them, and are definite danger to navigation. Whale steak should be back on the menu and tiger's rugs in front of the fireplace.

:)

Jonathan

Moodysailor

Visit site
When I lived is the US we used to get the occasional bull shark attack off the beaches, of course that never stopped anyone from going in.....
Bull sharks particularly seem to get into a 'feeding frenzy' and then don't act in the way that we would normally expect. For a shark to attack such a large group seems to go against the natural instincts?
I hope the person that was injured makes a full recovery and no-one else is hurt.

Moodysailor

Visit site
These do gooders have it all wrong.

L:ets get rid of anything dangerous, sharks might be near the top of the list but surely lions and tigers are up there, many dog breeds, polar bears, a whole host of snakes - why single out sharks? Off Spain we have whales, attacking yachts, they MUST be on the list and whales are in almost plague numbers at migration time on Australia's east coast and are definite danger to navigation. Whale steak should be back on the menu and tiger's rugs in front of the fireplace.

:)

Jonathan

I've got list of a few humans i'd like to place towards the top of the list of there's room... ? ? ?

LiftyK

Visit site
O’l Will, since you are from Western Australia, let me ask you something that’s been on my mind since I discovered Brodie and his brilliant Young Bloods video podcasts, filmed in your part of the world. You’ve given your balanced view of the risk of shark attacks, yet at the front of my mind is the risk from box jellyfish. Somewhere over the years I’ve formed the impression that these are the deadliest creatures known to man. They are seasonal and humans going in the water in Western Australia is to be avoided at all costs when they are about. This idea has been lurking in my mind forever but I can’t remember the source of this influence. Yet, in true Australian style, YouTube shows roughy toughy west coast Australians leaping in and out of the water all year round. Do you get box jellyfish in your area? If you do, how come you are still alive despite your love of the water? Thanks for enlightening me.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
When I lived is the US we used to get the occasional bull shark attack off the beaches, of course that never stopped anyone from going in.....
Bull sharks particularly seem to get into a 'feeding frenzy' and then don't act in the way that we would normally expect. For a shark to attack such a large group seems to go against the natural instincts?
I hope the person that was injured makes a full recovery and no-one else is hurt.
To a shark, a swimmer sounds like an injured fish. Twenty-three of them together would represent a dinner invitation too good to miss.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The Irukandji jellyfish is far more dangerous the the box jellyfish.

When I was in Perth some years ago I did see a large number of jellyfish in the Swan river but could not identify.

Both Irukandji and the box then to be further north than Perth so not sure if Perth do get these jelly fish.

Back to Sharks

More people are killed by eating shark than people killed by shark

You are more likely to be killed by a falling Coconut than by a shark

We have all the 3 major dangerous sharks on the East Coast of Africa, the Bull, Tiger and Great white. I have dived with sharks in the past but only the ragged tooth shark that look fierce but only eat fish and will not attack a human unless provoked.

johnalison

Visit site
Predators are an absolutely fundamental part of a diverse environment. Without sharks we might have nothing else to look forward to but eating seaweed and squid. I have mentioned it before, but if you doubt it, look up the Serengeti Rules.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
My son has just posted a picture of a shark which he almost hit while foil windsurfing in Moreton Bay.
He first thought that it was a bull shark but now thinks it was probably a lemon shark. He seemed to be more concerned with the damage it would have done to his board if he had hit it, than the thought of it attacking him.
Whenever one of his Pommie mates mentions the shark danger he reminds them that vending machines kill 4 times as many people than sharks do.

Last edited:

rotrax

Visit site

It is mentioned in the book.

A .303 and 200 rounds of amunition.

I have hooked - and lost - serious sized sharks off a popular Florida bathing beach.

When I sized up the gear I managed a 9 footer, what they call a Sand Shark there.

The most frightening thing was off Anguilla when reaching with the net for a good sized Jack a ten footer bit it in half at the boatside. The anchorage was full of swimmers during the daytime..................................

Last edited:

laika

Visit site
Do you get box jellyfish in your area? If you do, how come you are still alive despite your love of the water?

I don't believe they get down that far south in WA (quick google suggests geraldton is the lower range). Stingers are a problem but more stingy than deadly and certainly don't bother my Perth friends other than as an annoyance. I was in Broome the August before last, went swimming and didn't die....having first confirmed through research and extensively double checked with locals that the jellyfish weren't a problem in "winter" and that the crocs shouldn't bother me either...:eek:

Last edited: