What Yacht is this?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
A decent cockpit tent helps almost any boat, but obviously it makes a bigger proportionate difference on a small boat. Somewhere to put the bucket/porta potti at night for instance.

I had lots of fun and adventures in a 16' 3" Shipmate Dayboat ("dinghy with a lid") that had a canvas boom tent: 'de luxe' 😁heavy old-style canvas, with a window and roll up 'door'.

When sailing, all the gear (including the bulky cockpit tent) was piled up in the cuddy (cabin would be too grand a word, but the two 'berths' (the flat floor either side of the centreboard case!) were over 7' long and amply wide, and there were a couple of shelves), and when stopping for the night, the tent was put up (not as quick and easy as you might imagine), and all the gear shifted out of the cuddy into the cockpit.

Of course the challenge comes when it starts chucking it down midday and there's not enough room for skipper and crew in the cuddy while all the gear is in there, or when your heavy canvas cockpit tent is sodden after a night's rain and you're trying to put it in the cuddy without getting all your clothes and bedding wet. :oops:

Not my boat or pics but same model (there was a more commodious "Shipmate Senior' version with higher and longer coachroof and two 'proper' berths, but not as nice looking, ).
1715956213574.png
1715956367338.png

My current LM27 (like the LM 23, 24, 26, 28, 30 and 32) has a fantastic cockpit canopy, part of the original design and standard equipment, which folds back quickly on its frame against the wheelhouse. When up this makes the cockpit an extra 'room' on the boat (you can even get an insulated version of the canopy to facilitate using the potential extra couple of berths in the cockpit!), and can be used underway with the sides rolled up to create a sort of bimini.

Again, not my boat or pics.

1715956762348.png
1715956879450.png

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Our Dragonfly cockpit tent is a dead spit of yours. And we started cruising with a Strider cat, boom tent over main tramp. The hulls likewise had serviceable single berths, the kids had those. Back then, everyone started in something small, tending towards a camper cruiser. Now, our 30ft tri is just a baby. People start in 35 footers.

ylop

Visit site
Sails aren’t so hard. With the rig handy for measuring you could go through a few sailmakers second hand stock and spend £100, I reckon. Engine is of course another matter. Difficult to imagine spending less than £500. Still, you’d go sailing for under a grand, what's not to like about that?
As a novice understanding sailmakers I, J, bolt rope sizes etc is not trivial. If the sails are missing you can bet other bits and bobs will be too. Given the state of the trailer I think he’d be very lucky to only spend £1K helping his neighbour get rid of his trash!

How much is a leisure 17, in ready to sail condition?

mrming

instagram.com
As a novice understanding sailmakers I, J, bolt rope sizes etc is not trivial. If the sails are missing you can bet other bits and bobs will be too. Given the state of the trailer I think he’d be very lucky to only spend £1K helping his neighbour get rid of his trash!

How much is a leisure 17, in ready to sail condition?
Around £2k, ready to sail. Depends what the OP wants to do obviously, but would be easy enough to spend that getting this one sailing again.

Other threads that may be of interest