shaft rope cutters - more

G

Many thanks for all the replies. The conscensus seems to favour the two bladed type and that they do work and are worth the money but, obviously, there are limitations.
The choice seems to be between the spurs and the ambassador. I am tending to lean towards the ambassador, but I sail a Rustler 31 where the prop is 'captive' between the hull and rudder. Spurs advertise that their bearings can be changed without removing the prop or the unit, which is an obvious advantage to me since I would have to remove rudder and prop to change the bearings on the ambassador.
Do any of the ambassador owners have any information on frequency (and difficulty) of bearing change required?

I note Andrew B's comment on potential jolting of the shaft. When I spoke to ambassador at the boat show some time ago, their recommended method for cutting was to put the gearbox alternately in forward and astern. I query this because on the two occasions that I have experienced a rope around the prop (no cutter), the 24HP engine has just stopped. In this case, ambassador's method would mean repeated restarting of the engine.

G

I have had the Ambassador type on 3 boats now all on standard Pbracket stern gear. To change the plastic bearings is simply slackening off the various bits slide out and slide new in. The plastic bearings are such they in essence have a split. No need to remove anything. If it has had ton 'work' during the season then I tend to change the bearings if not then....every few years.

Pete

JamesS

Visit site
If it helps, I've got a H Hayles installed and the bearings were changed easily in less than 15 minutes. Spares also easily available direct from manufacturer by post.

Most importantly its been used twice (at least) in anger so I know it works.

Cheers.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
My boat has the same keel/rudder configuration as yours, but the prop doesn't need to be pulled. Also because of the 'aperture' prop, I suspect most rubbish never makes it as far as the prop, so the Stripper doesn't do much work, and work is what is most likely to tax the bearings.