Shackle failure

TiggerToo

Visit site
Probably because of the wrong choice.

I have been using snap shackles for our spinnaker. Crucially, also for the spinnaker head.

Last week, that shackle failed (see attached) - the forces involved bent it. The result was a rather dramatic dunking of the kite in the water, in a large swell, not too far from waves breaking over some submerged rocks (we were not in danger of "touching", but the breaking caps were scary and may have been dangerous). It took a long time to retrieve the large improvised sea anchor. Fortunately, the lines got tangled in the hydrovane rudder rather that the main rudder (or sail drive) and were relatively easy to deal with, eventually.

Some minor tears to the spinnaker caused by snagging against stanchions, on retrieval.

Luckily there were two of us, and we were able to deal with the issue.

Anyhow. Lesson learnt: use a better arrangement at the head. I am going for a halyard shackle. I was wondering if a simple bowline would also be a viable alternative (any views on this?)

Attachments

• IMG_20240616_170715.jpg
    IMG_20240616_170715.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51

michael_w

Visit site
That looks a pretty cheap and nasty snap shackle. The sort with the central hinge pin are stronger. Problem with a bowline is they can shake loose. A buntline hitch would work, but they tend to jam and are hard to undo.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I had a couple of shackles identical to the one in your picture and they were really not up to the task (I eventually kept them for the lee clothes), a Wichard one would be perfect (or similar brand, Tylaska if you are rich :)

flaming

Visit site
tylaska-snap-shackles.jpg

This is the sort you need. Bowlines are possible, but depending on exactly how your halyard exits at the top of the mast, and what is up there you do have an increased risk of it hooking over something and refusing to come down. I wouldn't personally.

zoidberg

Visit site
Have you completely ignored shoft shackles - or just not properly considered them?

53799602269_658fb8f29f_c.jpg

They're inspectable, selected for load, don't damage hands and equipment when flogging, can have anti-open rings fitted for pennies.... A whole lot cheaper than Tylaska.

Dozens of sources. See Google Images.

flaming

Visit site
Show me how, and I'll show you a prevention.
All sorts of ways. In the forestay toggle, catching on a split pin, getting pulled into the sheave and jamming. Caught on the furling swivel shackle if you have a furling gear.

I'm a massive soft shackle fan, and have dozens of them on the boat, but I also believe that there are applications that they are not suited to, and halyard shackle is one of them.

DanTribe

Visit site
A competitor's spinnaker halyard snap shackle tripped which gave us a win, thank you.
Back in the marina he was preparing to hoist his girlfriend up the mast on a spare halyard using a snap shackle. When I pointed out that this seemed like a bad idea he said that it very rarely happened!

flaming

Visit site
A competitor's spinnaker halyard snap shackle tripped which gave us a win, thank you.
Back in the marina he was preparing to hoist his girlfriend up the mast on a spare halyard using a snap shackle. When I pointed out that this seemed like a bad idea he said that it very rarely happened!
Never, ever, use any type of snap shackle, or shackle, to hoist anyone up the mast. Tie the halyard on with either a bowline or preferably a climbing style figure of 8. Then clip the shackle to you for tidyness.

Neeves

Visit site
A bowline is pretty reliable, used for decades.

Jonathan

Reactions: srm

DanTribe

Visit site
As others have said. Use a better quality shackle…. Tylaska or Wichard?
No guarantee. We were toodling along in very benign conditions when I noticed the baby stay was unattached. Hardly any load on it. The Wichard snap shackle had failed at the swivel where you cannot inspect. Presumably crevice corrosion but no obvious signs. Still got the broken bit somewhere.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
No guarantee. We were toodling along in very benign conditions when I noticed the baby stay was unattached. Hardly any load on it. The Wichard snap shackle had failed at the swivel where you cannot inspect. Presumably crevice corrosion but no obvious signs. Still got the broken bit somewhere.
There are very few guarantees in life but you can shorten the odds.

Reactions: srm