Servicing Furlex 200 S ....

Refueler

Visit site
Time to think about servicing the Furlex on my boat ... it looks like bearings and their shells may be worn out as the bottom drum canys slightly and locks up when tesnion unfurling ... and to swivel - you can see the balls in the bearings with outer case loose.
The system has bee on the boat for a long time and probably never been serviced ...

Any info / advise is most welcome ... the only furlers I have serviced / fitted are Plastimo and Profurl.

biXq0d6l.jpg

Boathook

Visit site
Hopefully you have an owners hand book for it. Becareful when removing the rope guide. There's a bit of plastic quite happy to jump ship. I also keep a few loose turns round the drum as I split it. One bit is ok as the furling line is attached the other bit is quite happy to leave ship.
One advantage you have is that you are ashore, but hopefully not to close to the waters edge !
All I have ever done to mine is a bit of grease on the bearings, but then my boat doesn't race.
I still have the original tube of grease from selden and the nozzle pushes into the grease holes. It doesn't require much.

Reactions: Aja

Fimacca

Visit site
When I had one in that condition 2, i kept it going with a car wash non salt scrub down, let it dry and grease it up well. Kept it going for 2 years until i sold the boat. They seem to be a silly price now new. 2nd option is new bearings.......

Refueler

Visit site

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I have the manual and sail is already off ...

Its not really a job I am looking fwd to ... I know its not so hard ... but getting older and less agile !
Take it slowly and I'm sure you'll be fine. When you remove the two Torx screws to release the foil, the foil will drop down slightly. I find that it really helps to mark with e pencil the height it is supposed to be at. Otherwise you end up trying to lift the foil up and down while fiddling with the screws trying to get them to locate into the holes in the foil out of view down inside the shiny chromed conical bit.

Refueler

Visit site
Take it slowly and I'm sure you'll be fine. When you remove the two Torx screws to release the foil, the foil will drop down slightly. I find that it really helps to mark with e pencil the height it is supposed to be at. Otherwise you end up trying to lift the foil up and down while fiddling with the screws trying to get them to locate into the holes in the foil out of view down inside the shiny chromed conical bit.

I noted the manual said to mark with pencil as well.

What I am not so happy about is the need to disconnect the stay if I want to replace bearings etc.