selling you boat??

warrior40

Visit site
Is anyone else's boat taking a long time to sell?? If you have recently sold yours, how long was it for sale for? I'd be interested to hear other's experiences.

<hr width=100% size=1>

smee

Visit site
I have had a boat for sale for over a year now.

Admittedly no one has ever heard of it (Master 30), and only 6 - 12(?) were ever made so its bound to make matters worse, but I keep checking the price against other similars such as LM 27's and such like, and it is still competitiive, however the market definately seems slow even so. I have certainly heard it from others too!!

As I have been a broker previously I would have thought a Warrior 40 would sell..... (assuming that is what you have, only I can't look from this page!!!) They seem popular enough!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

steveh

Visit site
Just tying up last bit of sale of our Heavenly Twins catamaran. Been on market for about 2 months. IMHO it was best around and looked smart after a lot of work refitting etc.
Trying to sell house and that is a lot harder with a very slow market at present!

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
Re: Master 30

Isn't that the same as a Steadfast 30 ?? perhaps you should market it as such?

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I tried selling my boat (an X99, a boat that does not appeal to many people) in an area that is notoriously difficult to sell in (North Wales, years waiting lists for berths) and did not get a single enquiry in 3 months. Then I advertised my boat abroad on the internet using free class association and club websites. Since then the phone has gone mad, I have lost count how many enquiries I have had (probably about 50), and I have had buyers trying to gazump each other. I am now trying to get my adverts removed to quell the enquiries.

Despite the cost of transporting the boat abroad (€4k) the strength of the Euro has made the price very attractive in Euroland.

Teddy-bear boat (VAT unpaid) is off to Germany tomorrow morning. Despite wanting to sell, it's going to be a very sad day.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the VAT unpaid <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

smee

Visit site
Re: Master 30

I market it as Master 30 Motorsailer (similar Steadfast 30), just in case any one tries to sue me!!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Waffoo

Visit site
Hi Warrior

Recently we were in contact about UFO31s and UFO34s. As you know I am on the other end of the the chain, trying to buy a boat!

I have looked at many boats, assessed their worth to me and made an appropriate offer. However all but one owner declined my offer. I see that most of the boats on which I have made an offer are still for sale, some nearly a year on at the same asking price.

So the point of this message is that a boat's value on the open market is only worth the highest offer from a prospective buyer. My experience has shown that most owners value their pride and joy at a somewhat higher price and then either have to wait a considerable time before their perfect buyer comes along or accept a price compromise. I have found that there are plenty of boats available which meet my requirements, but sellers are not so fortunate with the number of buyers for their boats.

I would suggest to sellers whose boats have been on the market sometime is to look around at other similar boats for sale and compare values taking into consideration age, equipment fit etc. After all this is what buyers are doing, usualy in great detail. Then there may be less difference between the price expectations of the seller and the buyer.

Anyway, I wish you well with your sale.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ROSSCO

Visit site
put my boat on the market last september - didn't have a sniff of an offer - then the moment Spring arrived, had an offer at 5% below asking price and sold it in 2 weeks. If you are going to sell it now is the time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
Yes, that's a good boat actually, but so long as she doesn't have one of those awful petter inboards.

<hr width=100% size=1>

petermd

Visit site
I handed my keys over to the broker at 1600 on saturday 5 april. The said they had someone who wanted to look at her the following day although I thought this was brokers sales talk. Received an offer at 10.30 on the monday which was a little below what I really wanted. After a bit of negotiation she was sold by 1200 at 5% less than the asking price. The boat was 5 years old and I received just over what I had originally paid (plus extra's). The process then took 4 weeks to arrange survey etc and I received the full amount on time. I believe the combination of time of year, age and condition of boat, waiting time for a new one (HR36) and an active brokers list all contibuted to a satisfactory process.

I have seen a lot of posts here over the years complaining about the price of second hand boats. There was never a truer saying than: a boat/house/car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. In my case I believe I got a good deal for the reasons above and the fact that there are not enough of these boats on the second hand market.

All in all my thanks to Transworld Yachts for a professional job in a fatastic time scale.

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
agree but in the world of boats many are for sale only if they can achieve a certain price which enables the seller to purchase his current dream (on paper only of course as we all know!)
However, boats sitting around unused for long periods are closer to poorly performing shares - no onelike to crystalise aloss and just keeps on suffereing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardknight

Visit site
We've been advertising our own boat via a broker as well as privately for the last 8 weeks.

The broker route hasn't been successful, we've had an offer but is was someone chancing their luck with a very low offer (we were boat number 4 they offered on). We've also had no feedback from the broker at all on how things are going, number of viewings on out boat v's others etc... hence it's been all to easy to assume nothing has been happening at all via them. We haven't been overly impressed.

We've advertised her in YM and PBO for the last 2 editions as well as online with 4 of 5 free sites for selling your boat on. The best one has been www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk. We also set up our own web site providing a variety of internal pictures and detailed spec. (www.marsbrookboating.com/crestar.htm if you're interested). As we live 90 minutes away from the boat, having our own site detailing the boat has been a real bonus. We've attracted people from hundreds of miles away because they've know what they're letting themselves in for, as well as stopped people looking who weren't really serious. We've only had three viewings via ourselves, but the site gets alot of traffic - we've accepted an offer from one of these three. We also now have a small list of interested parties should the current purchaser fall through.

So, in answer to your questions it's taken 2 months to sell. We've taken advantage of a broker, print advertising, free web advertising and our own web site. Generally speaking it been a painless process. We're happy with the price, and so is the buyer.

Best of luck.

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>